Old 07-01-2021, 09:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Water pump pulley bent?

I have a two groove water pump pulley that looks to be bent or maybe the water pump shaft or mounting plate for the pulley.

If I find that it's only the pulley, would I be doing damage to the pump shaft or plate if I gave the pulley a smack or two with a piece of wood and hammer, while mounted?

If it's the pump I will replace.

Old 07-01-2021, 10:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't think that would be a good idea. Probably damage the seal. Even if you pull it off to straighten it it would need to be pretty much perfect. A pulley with run-out could do the same thing as far as damaging the pump.

Sent from my moto g stylus (2021) using Tapatalk

Old 07-01-2021, 10:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That's what I figured.

It's not all that bad, wobbles about a 1/16".

Probably just leave it, unless more issues arise.

Old 07-01-2021, 10:51 AM

Remove the pulley from the pump. Then turn the pump by hand and see if the pump hub wobbles. If it doesn't wobble then check the pulley. If you have to smack it with a hammer to try to straighten it do it while its removed from the pump. If it can't be straightened then replace the pulley. Ames has them for both A/C and non A/C cars. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Old 07-01-2021, 03:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That was the plan to remove the pulley and put a dial indicator on the face of the water pump and see what that shows.

The hub of the pulley looks straight just the outer lip wobbles a bit. Not sure if it is even an issue another than I see it.

Old 07-01-2021, 05:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HALFWAY View Post
I have a two groove water pump pulley that looks to be bent or maybe the water pump shaft or mounting plate for the pulley.

If I find that it's only the pulley, would I be doing damage to the pump shaft or plate if I gave the pulley a smack or two with a piece of wood and hammer, while mounted?

If it's the pump I will replace.
2 groove pulley, will attempt to identify.

Original '64 engine?

Factory heater car or factory AC car?

A nice straight ORIGINAL wp pulley would be the easiest solution.
The '63-64 two groove waterpump pulleys are NOT reproduced.

If the engine &/or accessories are from a later Pontiac, then the water pump pulley is going to be something different. One will have to match the correct series of pulleys & brackets, no problem, just need pics.

Old 07-02-2021, 10:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It's a 65 326 engine. Originally no AC but added the vintage air system.

If I remember correctly I purchased the pulley from summit. Of course I had the pulley stored for awhile before installing so I doubt it can be returned.

I will most likely tear it down this weekend to see if it is the pulley or pump.

Old 07-02-2021, 11:07 AM

If your sure its the pulley why not buy an original one. I've always had good luck here for original parts at very reasonable prices.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Old 07-02-2021, 02:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
It's a 65 326 engine. Originally no AC but added the vintage air system.

If I remember correctly I purchased the pulley from summit. Of course I had the pulley stored for awhile before installing so I doubt it can be returned.

I will most likely tear it down this weekend to see if it is the pulley or pump.

Can you post several pics of the front accessories of the '65 326 engine?
-To further ID what you actually need will need to discern if '64 Pontiac V8 accessories are present OR if '65-66 accessories are present.
-Am not near as well stocked on the '63-64 pulleys, as am on '67 & later Pontiac V8 pulleys & brackets, but have several early examples to compare.
-Biggest issue with early Pontiac pulleys is many are not stamped with original part numbers like later series Pontiac pulleys.

Old 07-03-2021, 03:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There are reproduction pulleys sold where many (if not all) are bent. I would suspect that there is only one manufacturer and most everyone buys from them. We gave up on the steel pulleys and just buy their aluminum pulleys now because of the slight wobble in the steel reproductions. The aluminum ones are a very nice piece but definitely won't be passing for stock.

Old 07-04-2021, 07:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here are some pictures.

I added a pulley for the AC system behind the crankshaft pulley.

I tried several 65 power steering pump setups but they never worked at low idle so I used my 64 setup with stand offs.

After this weekend/holiday/storm I will see where the wobble is and decide at that point what to do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210703_090810289.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	569196   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210703_090832341.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	569197   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210703_090821113.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	569198   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210703_090842724.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	569199   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210703_090854633.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	569200  

Old 07-04-2021, 04:33 PM
Senior Chief

IIRC you might want to measure the crank pulley dia as ther is small....and large and that will determine the diameter of your waterpump pulley....

Old 07-05-2021, 06:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Everything seems to be okay just the water pump pulley wobbles a bit.

I am trying to get all the little things that look suspicious taken care of, as I am planning a road trip right after labor day weekend. Approximately 1600 miles round-trip.

Old 07-05-2021, 06:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Question pulley size?

Quote:
Here are some pictures.

I added a pulley for the AC system behind the crankshaft pulley.

I tried several 65 power steering pump setups but they never worked at low idle so I used my 64 setup with stand offs.

After this weekend/holiday/storm I will see where the wobble is and decide at that point what to do.
What is the outside diameter of your water pump pulley? How "tall" is it?

Also, with your Vintage Air system do you (did you?) have any problems with squealing belts?

Thanks!

Old 07-05-2021, 06:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The water pump pulley is 8" diameter.

I did have belt squeal/chirp but not from the AC system but a newer style alternator. Went back to an more original type, no more noises.

The AC belt goes from the compressor to the crankshaft, no other pulleys involved.

Old 07-09-2021, 09:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I removed the fan and pulley from the water pump and checked the mounting plate with a dial indicator.

0.003 - 0.004 run-out on, is that within specs?

If so, I am going to get a new pulley.

Old 07-09-2021, 04:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

And you may ask yourself how do I check the water pump with a dial indicator? Same as it ever was!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210709_163633349.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	569485  

Old 07-10-2021, 07:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Since no one smarter than me is answering... I wouldn't think that 3-4 thousandths is anything to be concerned about...but l could be wrong.

Old 07-11-2021, 05:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
Since no one smarter than me is answering... I wouldn't think that 3-4 thousandths is anything to be concerned about...but l could be wrong.

LOL! I'll second that .003"-.004" face runout should be fine. Did you do the same with the pulley?

Old 07-11-2021, 08:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Seldom run across bent wp pulleys. Bent crank pulleys will show up from time to time, as prev owners with errant floor jacks can booger up a crank pulley real fast. Similar deal with mass core buyers.

003 is fine. When indicating off the wp pulley, come in at a slight angle down about an 1/8" in the groove. Setting the mag base dial indicator off the outside top edge, esp the the rear edge of the top of the pulley can create an error, as many original wp pulleys will have a very small area on the outside edge that is slightly raised. This area does not transfer into the belt grooves.