THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-31-2021, 11:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default New car

Our first new car in 42 years was delivered yesterday.

Now I know how a 6-year old Egyptian felt the first day of school 3000 years ago!

Jon

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 08-31-2021, 11:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My wife tells me i,m a dumb arse and I guess she is right. I don't get it. Help me out here. I didn't know 6 year old Egyptians drove cars to school 3000 years ago

Old 08-31-2021, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbking View Post
Our first new car in 42 years was delivered yesterday.

Now I know how a 6-year old Egyptian felt the first day of school 3000 years ago!

Jon

So what is it?

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 08-31-2021, 11:49 AM
Senior Chief

Didja get a chariot???

Old 08-31-2021, 12:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would put our local (20 miles) Ford dealer against ANY dealer of any make anywhere in our country for service, customer service, price, etc. Not a big dealer, just a good dealer. Today, any product one cannot work on, is only as good as the closest dealer. Closest GM dealer is 30 miles and I wouldn't buy $10 dollar bills from them on sale at $1. each!

We traded in a Ford Explorer for a 2021 Ford Escape.

Final price was about $1700 LESS than the agreed on price, as the sales manager found a couple of obscure rebates.

We had bought the Explorer as a dual purpose solid car for the wife, and tow vehicle for a 16 foot trailer with 2 large lawn & garden tractors. Contracted with a lawn care company to care for the cemetery for which we took care of, and sold the trailer, so no longer need the larger, heavier vehicle.

But there are buttons EVERYWHERE, and all of them are coded in some new pictorial language, recognizable only to an ancient Egyptian, or a anthropologist!

With vehicles with a key, and push button start and turn off the key to stop, I am going to have trouble with push button start AND STOP!

Jon

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carbking For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2021, 12:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My wife has an '18 Edge Titanium and it has push button start AND stop, and the fob has to be in the car for it to work. When we go to Halmark for her to do her monthly card shopping I usually drop her off at the front of the store and then park in the lot at the front of the store. She keeps her fob in her purse and the first several times she exited the car and started into the store and the car beeped at her; it doesn't like to keep running if you walk away with the fob. Now she takes the fob and lays it on the console, and then exits the car.

You will love that car.

Old 08-31-2021, 12:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Enjoy!

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 08-31-2021, 01:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pretty sure you can put a fuel regulator and Carb on that, and fool the ECU indefinitely.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Half-Inch Stud For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2021, 01:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

First impression:

Finish and appointments are excellent.

Seats are comfortable, and more adjustable than those in the Explorer

Ride is good, but maybe not quite as smooth as the Explorer (there is something to be said for a heavier vehicle).

Power is surprising. The twin turbo 4 banger is rate 250 HP, and coupled to an 8-speed transmission stays in the torque curve of the engine well. There is a tiny amount of turbo-lag. Probably the kiddies that grew up on EFI won't notice the wee bit of lag; but it is noticable to someone with a carburetion background. Not objectionable at all.

Still haven't figured out which button turns on the cruise control; but the salesman explained it once, and can do so again. Something about the old dog / new trick syndrome.

Not sure we will EVER trust it to park itself. I know how to parallel park, and the wife just looks for a larger spot, if necessary. "But officer, I didn't hit the car ahead and behind, it was the self-parking feature! Why are you giving me a ticket???"

Air conditioning would suffice for making home-made ice cream; will literally freeze one out of the car with an ambient of 98 if one does not adjust it.

All in all, much more pleased with this than with the Explorer.

But, it is the wife's car; so will see how she likes it after a few months. I get to drive my 54 year old truck which, since I added factory air, I like much better. And I can go further without stopping for gas!

Jon.

Old 08-31-2021, 02:16 PM
Boost Engineer

My wife bought her Escape with the ECOBOOST turbo performance capability some years ago.
The battery finally needed to be replaced. 1st part changed in the history of the car.

The F-Series ECOBOOST truck which I drive, is bigger, can carry slightly more that the Escape (F-150 is a crew cab,
6 foot bed) but the F-150 does have 10 speeds which work very well.

Glad your wife likes her ECOBOOST Escape.

I can move the seat back and forth on my F-150. I let my son do the programming on the rest of the features.
The map program is used constantly. GARAGE SALES and CAR SHOW LOCATIONS.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 08-31-2021, 02:29 PM
Boost Engineer

You actually have only a single Turbo on your wife's new engine Jon.

What we did was design the Engine's head and Exhaust manifolds to mate with a SINGLE Turbocharger that has DUAL exhaust entry points on the Turbine Housing.
They call this a Split Scroll Turbine Housing.
You can space the Exhaust pulses better on the engine manifolds to have a more even pulse rate on the single turbine wheel but with TWO entry points.

Tom V.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Twin-scroll-turbocharger.png
Views:	119
Size:	243.1 KB
ID:	572218  

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 08-31-2021, 02:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Tom- that is what I get for parroting information from the internet!

You did a great job!

As far as programming, I will foul up what I can for about 6 weeks, and then go back to the dealer to program the rest. Sales manager is an example of customer service. And he actually understands the electronics.

If it is possible to totally lock out the auto kill the engine at stop lights, I would like to know how. The sales manager did not know if that was possible. His comment "start engine, fasten seatbelt, hit the off button for the auto engine kill". Habit.

We did lock out the don't change lanes gismo.

Jon.

Old 08-31-2021, 02:50 PM
Boost Engineer

Thank You Jon.

Here is the Patent Number for that Turbine Housing Technology: Patent # 9695822

Another fine Engineer Jim Ervin and I submitted that Patent Info quite a few years ago.
It took the normal 3 years to get approved.

Tom Vaught

Old 08-31-2021, 03:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

But there are buttons EVERYWHERE, and all of them are coded in some new pictorial language, recognizable only to an ancient Egyptian, or a anthropologist!

It's funny, a lot of the cars from the 80s into the 90s had lots of buttons. I guess it was an attempt to make them look more sophisticated and high end. Sometime in the late 90s / early 2000s a shift happened, and people wanted sleeker interiors with less buttons and more screen space.

Now we're back to a lot of buttons, with a lot of screen space.

What's old is new again.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 08-31-2021, 03:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Thanks Tom- that is what I get for parroting information from the internet!

You did a great job!

As far as programming, I will foul up what I can for about 6 weeks, and then go back to the dealer to program the rest. Sales manager is an example of customer service. And he actually understands the electronics.

If it is possible to totally lock out the auto kill the engine at stop lights, I would like to know how. The sales manager did not know if that was possible. His comment "start engine, fasten seatbelt, hit the off button for the auto engine kill". Habit.

We did lock out the don't change lanes gismo.

Jon.

My 2016 F150 has the auto stop start. I let it do it's thing.....I'm completely used to it and don't notice it's operation. When I drive the wife's Highlander (non-auto stop start) I find myself wondering when it's going to shut off at lights etc. If your car has a trailer light hook-up, you should be able to fool the system into thinking it's pulling a trailer with a plug in light, killing the A.S.S. The weirdest thing I've experienced with mine is pulling up to park here at the office and the truck quickly shuts down, then having to push the start button to kill the engine....when it's not running. I was a bit nervous when I bought the truck..."small" 2.7 V6 hauling nearly 6000 pounds. Two turbo's. Way more electronics than I was comfortable with. 80,000 miles later, the lifetime fuel mileage has slowly climbed to 21.0, I've had zero issues (knock wood....) and the power is amazing.

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 08-31-2021, 03:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Can I start calling you August?

Old 08-31-2021, 03:52 PM
Boost Engineer

no. pm to you

Tom V.

Old 09-01-2021, 08:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Youre pulling a 16' trailer with a ford escape?
I have been looking for a new to me truck and keep shying away from the Fords with the ecoboost as I pull trailers on occassion. A friend of mine says it would be no problem, I suppose I should take his word on it.

He has an ecoboost twin turbo on his large family/cargo van. He showed me an aftermarket oil collector that he installed almost the size of a soda can. Said there is oil blow by that can do long term damage to the motor if not controlled. His can was half full after a thousand miles or so.

Old 09-01-2021, 08:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
No - we bought the Explorer to pull the trailer. After we sold the trailer, no need for the Explorer, and downsized to the Escape.

Pulling a trailer is seldom about horsepower; rather it is about stopping power!

Jon.

Old 09-01-2021, 10:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
I have been looking for a new to me truck and keep shying away from the Fords with the ecoboost as I pull trailers on occassion. A friend of mine says it would be no problem, I suppose I should take his word on it.

He has an ecoboost twin turbo on his large family/cargo van. He showed me an aftermarket oil collector that he installed almost the size of a soda can. Said there is oil blow by that can do long term damage to the motor if not controlled. His can was half full after a thousand miles or so.

He's fixing a problem that doesn't exist. I'm on the 2 largest F150 forums on a daily basis. There is NO issue on any Ecoboost F150 that a catch can will fix.