Old 07-07-2014, 10:15 PM
Senior Chief

Default '64 GTO A/C Blower motor/wheel

Been trying to diagnose a low volume a/c air flow condition on my '64. I have come across some info out on the web stating a/c blower motors ran in reverse rotation. Has any one heard of this? I have a totally restored system, and have tried an nos, and a brand new blower motor. I am currently using what I believe to be an original metal blower wheel (squirrel cage) Should I try another wheel? Is there a better one that will increase the air volume? I see a "reverse" wheel is available aftermarket. Any ideas?

Old 07-08-2014, 07:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If I was chasing this, I would be to make sure that all the internal doors are closing 100%and sealing as they should.
I would also make sure that all plastic duct joints are sealed properly.
Finally, I would try and compare the fan speed at various settings. At high, even these antique systems were moving a lot of air with the old squirrel wheel.

Old 07-08-2014, 02:59 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks Andre, I've checked all. Need to dig in further I guess. We're all the joints that the vents come together taped? I don't think they were...

Old 07-08-2014, 04:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They weren't taped, but 50 years ago, the plastic fit together tightly. I imagine a strip or two of tape would seal up the joints. If you disassemble first, and add the tape then reassemble, it will be invisible.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:35 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Our 65 from new never moved air like todays car blowers do. I asked the same question ages ago. I am sure there is an impeller of some kind from a newer car that would move more air. I would research it a bit to see what you can come up with. In my opinion they need to move twice the air that they currently do. I have been through the same checks on doors and seals to no satisfaction. I just replaced the air blend door motor on my 97 Town car for the second time. Used a Ford motor this time vs Dorman that stripped out. Both the wife and I noted it was blowing way colder than before so probably well sealed and well working vacuum doors would make a difference. Just for fun try putting a vacuum reservior with a large capacity and a anti bleed back valve on it and see if you get more oomph out of it. This might work the doors more effectively. Just a 5lb can with a vac line attachment will work or get one from a yard.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:39 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Also check that the vac lines going to the selector switch have no leaks in the big connection and that someone has not inadvertantly crossed some lines. If you are running a non stock cam you may not be generating enough vacuum to do the job. A reservior would help there as well.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:42 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have never heard of reverse rotation blowers. Do you have the A/C refrigerant manual for the car. I have one downstairs for the 65 I believe. I am going to take a look.