Old 04-25-2015, 01:29 PM

Default How is the best way to adjust the hood bumpers

Wondering how is the best way to adjust the hood bumpers on my 65 GTO. I notice that they screw up and down and have a locking nut,but how do you know if they are adjusted right?

Old 04-25-2015, 02:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default how is the best way

When I do this I remove the big guide pin that is attached to the hood that fits into the latch on the core support so i can lower and raise the hood numerous times without it latching. Remove the safety catch on the hood also for the same reason. Then loosen the locking nuts (jam nuts)on the hood bumpers so you can freely raise or lower the bumper as needed using a Phillips screwdriver Then you can lower the hood and see how the top surface of it lines up with the top surface of the fenders. If the hood is too high, lower the bumpers by screwing them down into the top of the core support. If the hood is too low, do the reverse. Once you have the hood adjusted properly, hold the shaft of the adjusting bumper in place with the screwdriver and snug up the lock nut by tightening down against the core support. Reattach the guide pin onto the hood and latch the hood. If the hood does not latch snugly, turn the guide pin into the hood(tighten it) a couple of turns and latch the hood again. Keep adjusting the pin until the hood sits down onto the hood bumpers and latches tightly. Then hold the hood pin in place and tighten the jam nut on it against the hood to lock in place. Reattach the safety catch Go back and make sure the jam nuts on the hood bumpers are tight.