Old 09-02-2006, 10:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: The conservative enclave in a land of liberals; South Orange County, CA
Default Bulletproof Pontiac Engines....

My first Pontiac (my first car, actually) was a '68 or '69 Catalina or Ventura, I forget. Sky blue w/white vinyl top & interior, she was SO clean. I was a high school senior, didn't know anything about cars; that'll be important later on. Anyway, I drove over a concrete parking lot thing (those things your wheels go up against so you can't go any further in the parking space) and popped a whole in the oil pan, but didn't even realize it. No, the wheels didn't hit the parking lot thing, the car straddled it, I wasn't out four wheelin' in the car. Anyway, I drove about a mile or so home, parked the car for the night, then drove it to school the next day. Well, the sun was shining on the dash as I drove, and I couldn't see the (oil) idiot light that was lit up (at least that's the story I told my Dad) cause all the oil had drained out of the hole in the pan. I got about 5 or 6 miles down the road, the car just stopped, wouldn't start. Had it towed to a local garage, they told Dad about the hole in the pan, he was PISSED. "Didn't you see the idiot light son, what're you thinking?" Well, the garage welded a plug in the pan, filled it with oil, and the car started right up. I drove it for another few months before I went off to college, never had a problem with it. I don't know what engine it had, I'm sure it was stock (this was 1981) and I never did like that car. It was too much of a boat, although looking back now it was an awesome ride. Funny thing is, my 9 year old daughter is madly in love with a '67 2+2, after seeing one in HPP - how funny is that?!? That is my testimony as to the hardiness of Pontiac engines, try that with a mopar!

Old 09-02-2006, 11:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You know, I shot my Pontiac 350 a few times and the bullets bounced right off. Damn near killed me!! Now thats bulletproof!!

Nice story. Im sure most of us have blown a few motors in our time.

Old 09-03-2006, 01:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: The conservative enclave in a land of liberals; South Orange County, CA

No, that's the cool thing, the motor wasn't blown! The garage just sealed the hole, filled it with oil, and I was up and running like nothing ever happened!