Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 01-28-2009, 04:01 PM
Senior Chief

Default tick noise

OK long story short i hear a tick sound from the back right side( left if in driver seat) of the engine. sounds like its coming from the distb. but my guess is a lifter. now, how could i go about diagnosing exactly which valve? and how is this fixed? engine runs great, amazing actually. its just this slight tick. its actually hard to hear it when your up in near the engine, but when your on the driver side of the car right behind the front wheel its more audible.

Ideas for an engine NOOB ?

"Like i told my last wife, I said honey i never drive faster than I can see, besides that its all in the reflexes"

Last edited by JACK_BURTON55; 01-28-2009 at 04:07 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Where is the PCV valve on your engine?

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:43 PM
Senior Chief

PCV? the tube that vents the engine is on the passenger side of the engine, goes into my air cleaner.

"Like i told my last wife, I said honey i never drive faster than I can see, besides that its all in the reflexes"
Old 01-28-2009, 04:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pull the PCV valve and see if the ticking goes away.
Also check for an exhaust leak.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Are you sure it's not an exhaust leak? They sometimes can sound just like a lifter tick.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:56 PM
Senior Chief

ok am going outside now to check the pcv thing, but the exhaust leak might explain it, the exhaust hangers at one time broke and it was hanging and bouncing for a day until i could get it to the shop that originally did the work. Thanks guys!

Old 01-28-2009, 05:08 PM
Senior Chief

Get a mechanics stephascope. Or just a long piece of 5/8 rubber tubing and stick one end in your ear and probe around for the noise. I can usaully find a bad lifter this way since the noise will travel up the push rod and can be heard at the top of the head. You can also find exhaust leaks this way too.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I also vote for a possible exhaust leak. Also, if that is not it, look at the engine in the dark and make sure you are not arcing against the block or the firewall. You mentioned that it sounded like it was coming from the distributor. I actually had this problem. I could hear a ticking coming from the back of the engine. I opened the hood one night and there was an arc from the cap, where the wire plugs in, to the firewall. It took a long time to find it, it was really dumb luck that I found it. I replaced the wires and the problem was gone.

469 (455 + .060") with the Edelbrock RAIV cam, Ported 6X-8 heads with 1.77" exhaust valves, 100 cc's, "0" decked block for 9.3:1 static CR, Eagle 1.65:1 roller rockers, Edelbrock RPM manifold and Edelbrock 750 carb., 1.75" x 3.0" Hedman Headers, 2.5" flowmaster exhaust system with "H" pipe and Dynamax super turbo mufflers. 200-4R with a Continental converter, 3.07:1 12 Bolt Saf-T-Trac
Old 01-28-2009, 05:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I vote exhaust leak also.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:38 PM
Senior Chief

ok well will check engine compartment after dark. i took the PCV out and the oil filler cap and it didn't stop the tick, the tick was hardly noticeable when the engine was cold and choke wasn't on but when the engine warmed up the tick came on again.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via AIM to JKrull66

If the tick gets louder it mat be a piston hitting the deck, a rod bearing went out slow on my 389 and took forever to figure out what it was. It only ticked on the non power stroke. Sounded like a lifter for a long time then got louder one day. Might check if it is cam speed or crank speed.
Good luck hope its something simple.
John

63 Lemans in the 9's race
66 GTO HT Cruiser
06 Triumph Rocket III TURBO! 2300 CC Bad boy
KTM 525 Dirt Terrorizer
POLARIS 900 RZR
10 GMC SLT Duramax Haul anything anywhere
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...app_2392950137
Old 01-28-2009, 06:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

WHEN IT STARTS TICKING. DOES IT JUST KEEP TICKING OR STOP AFTER A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME???
THE HEAT RISER VALVE ON MINE TICKS AFTER THE ENGINE GETS HEATED UP ENOUGH TO ALLOW VACUUM TO OPEN THE HEAT RISER ON MY ENGINE. IT ONLY DOES IT FOR A WHILE...FWIW.
THE HEAT RISER FUNCTIONS FINE, JUST MAKES NOISE FOR A HALF MINUTE OR SO WHEN WARMING UP, THEN QUITS.
BEWARE OF JKRULL'S ADVICE, I TOO EXPERIENCED A TICK THAT GOT PROGRESSIVELY LOUDER AS TIME WENT ON. WHEN THE TICK WENT AWAY, SO DID THE ENGINE.....LOL!!!

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...