Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 10-17-2005, 05:03 PM
On Vacation

Send a message via AIM to Bryan Jensen
Default Are there any other raised white letter tires besides the radial T/A's??

Well, I'm a ways off before I mount my cragar ss wheels onto my car, but I plan on running a raised white letter for my 15X7's up front, and my 15X8's out back.

My only compaint is that the only white letter tire I've come across is the bf goodrich radial T/A, and personally I think they take away from that "vintage nostalgia 60's" look I'm trying to keep. Are there any more "period-correct looking" or vintage style white letter tires out there...if so can they be had with 235/60's up front and either 245 or 55/60's out back?

Also, if you know of any of these, please post pictures up for my reference so I can get an idea. Again looking for a more vintage looking white letter tire.

Thanks,
Bryan

Old 10-17-2005, 09:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Probably have to go to a repro tire maker like Coker or somebody to see if they make one. RWL tires aren't exactly the style these days, so the selection is limited. Radial TAs, in my opinion, ARE a "vintage look."

Old 10-17-2005, 11:44 PM
Senior Chief

There are still quite a few raised white letter tires out there. Dunlop GT Qualifiers, Firestone Firehawks, Cooper Cobra's, Yokohama AVS, then a whole bunch of smaller brands: Turbo Tech, Grand Am, Grand Prix, etc.....

They are out there, just call the smaller tire shops in your area, not just the big box stores.

Old 10-18-2005, 02:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Goodyear Eagle GT's...

Old 10-18-2005, 09:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Bryan, there was no "vintage nostalgia 60's" white letter tire. White walls. Red lines. Black walls. Maybe the odd gold or blue stripe.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:03 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have a set of Uniroyal "Tiger Paws" on mine. I like the "Tiger" reference with the GTO and I think they look pretty good.. I agreee though Bryan.. I'm not a fan of the BFG's either.

Old 10-21-2005, 03:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Bryan, there was no "vintage nostalgia 60's" white letter tire.
I have to differ somewhat with this statement,the firestone wide oval and later the goodyear polyglas (GT) were both available during the sixties,from the mid sixties on they were both extremely popular,and also available on some cars as OE equipment.

Both were RWL tires...

My '72 455 H-O GTO had G-60-15 polyglas GT's on it from the factory when it was new.

Now granted they would not have been original for the '67 GTO,but very likely they would have been what went on right after the stock tires were obliterated completely.

So those I would consider period correct for most any mid-sixties up muscle cars,therefore a RWL tire is'nt all that much a boo-boo to have on a period looking car IMHO.

I myself am a "blackwall" / "no-frills" kinda guy for the most part.

Had a set of dunlop qualifiers GT's on my '72,they were damn good tires,and they lasted a lot longer than ANY BFG radial T/A's ever would,just a little weak as far as wet weather was concerned,but that was with the GT's old tread pattern,the new pattern is supposed to have better wet weather manners now.

The dunlops main drawback is they are harder to find locally than the BFG's,and more expensive,you can usually get them at a goodyear dealer though around here.

Old 10-21-2005, 09:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When his car was made RWL tires didn't come on GTO's from the factory. I don't think they appeared until 69 or 70 on GTO's from the factory. The nostalgia look for most of the 60's was a colored/black wall tire. If he's refering to owner sourced tires for replacement, then either the Goodyear or Firestone bias ply RWL tires would be the only choices still available today and considering their cost and wear/safety characteristics would be poor choices for a car driven daily.

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

David,you missed the point completely,reread my post please,your statement implied there were'nt ANY RWL tires in the sixties,that just is'nt true!

And I CLEARLY stated that they were NOT OE equipment for the '67 GTO!

Nor did I imply that he should choose a bias ply tire either!

And I even went as far to offer my thoughts on radial tire choices,I like the dunlop qualifier GT's,even though I currently have BFG T/A's on my '72 firebird,that choice was based on the price/availability more-so than any other concerns

The firestone wide oval was out in '67,and the polyglas GT was available from appx. '68 on,I'm sure there were others too.

Now the fact that RWL tires WERE available in the SIXTIES at ANY point makes your statement incorrect,regardless of which tires were OE equipment.

RWL tires are period correct IMO!

"Period correct" implies a product that was generally available and used during that period,and a RWL tire would fit that definition.

Now granted they were only available during the mid to later part of the sixties,they were available...

There is a significant difference between "period correct" and "factory original".

Fact is many of these cars new had the original rolling stock on just long enough to be torn to shreds,and then were quickly replaced with a RWL tires and new rims to give it the "look" the owner wanted.

Not entirely uncommon today either,is it?

Now this was'nt meant to start an in depth argument or anything,but when someone suggests an absolute point about something in error,if nobody else who knows otherwise fails to correct that,often the inaccurate point eventually becomes mistaken for a fact.

Old 10-21-2005, 03:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think I know where "screamingchief" comes from.......
My statement didn't imply that there were no RWL tires in the 60's. RWL tires didn't become popular till late in the 60's. Very late. That leaves most of the decade for the other sidewalls. Read into that what you will.

I'm proud you stated that RWL letters weren't available on the 67 GTO. Nobody said otherwise.

Bias ply? Name a radial from the 60's with white letters.
Thats what I thought. That pretty much leaves a bias ply selection.

I read your reply. I'm sure your thoughts on tires were appreciated. Thanks for the reminder.

Wide Ovals and Polyglas available in 67 or 68? Whatever you say. Great. I found that the Firestones came out in 68.5 and the Polyglas came out in 1969. They took a while to catch on and they were all bias ply. That leaves 7 or 8 years in the 60's when they weren't available.

So for about 2 years RWL tires were available in the late 60's. Got me there. I knew they were out for a short period. Correct for his car, which was made in 66/67, no. That was my point. Sorry you couldn't see that.

And you are entitled to your opinion. I am also. Redlines/blackwalls/whitewalls carried way more cars than RWL's did.

Period correct? 2 years dominate a decade? Hardly.

What is the significant difference between "period correct" and "factory original". Something you liked better? Fonder memory?

"Now this was'nt meant to start an in depth argument or anything,but when someone suggests an absolute point about something in error,if nobody else who knows otherwise fails to correct that,often the inaccurate point eventually becomes mistaken for a fact."

That goes both ways..............

Last edited by David Jones; 10-21-2005 at 03:31 PM.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Wide Ovals and Polyglas available in 67 or 68? Whatever you say. Great. I found that the Firestones came out in 68.5 and the Polyglas came out in 1969. They took a while to catch on and they were all bias ply. That leaves 7 or 8 years in the 60's when they weren't available.
By '69 the polyglas was available on virtually all makes of hi-po cars (including pontiacs) as OE equipment,if they just came out I would call that an overnite success myself!

http://www.coker.com/store/customer/home.php?cat=276

I think they (coker tire) disagree with your dates...

And here is another conflicting opinion, the text is for the photo included:
Goodyear Polyglass Tires - E70x15 Speedway 350 Large White Letters: Reproduction of the originals, these tires were standard on 1967/68 Shelby GT350/GT500 cars. Quantity is very limited. Price is for 1 Tire.

That is from Tony Branda,the premire mustang/shelby resto outlet.
http://www.cobranda.com/GetItemDetai...atID=&DeptID=3 see for yourself.

And this is only two of the multitude of the other tire makers,I know uniroyal offered their tiger paws in a RWL in this time frame as well (late sixties),and I'm sure others did as well.

I just knew you'd get in a huff over this,just like when I mentioned not liking cragar S/S's myself,apparently when something does'nt jibe with your view of things you just lash out at the source of the conflict or something...I dunno...

Quote:
Bias ply? Name a radial from the 60's with white letters.
Thats what I thought. That pretty much leaves a bias ply selection.
Again your just taking this out into right field here,Brian stated he is looking for a tire with a certain "look",NOT the ACTUAL tires...

Nobody here has said jack about him running a bias ply tire,if thats what you "read into this" thats on you.

Quote:
What is the significant difference between "period correct" and "factory original". Something you liked better? Fonder memory?
And reread my post again,I CLEARLY stated that I was a blackwall "no frills" kinda guy,apparently it just does'nt matter what I said,you must be too angry to listen.

The difference is that what the factory put on and what is available for an individual to put on are two completely different things,simple enough for you?

Is it not "period correct" or "nostalgic" if the factory did'nt install it now???

GIMME A BREAK!!!

Guess cragar S/S's would'nt be period correct either then,would they...

So everybody ran out and bought their new wheels and put some skinny *** redlines tires on them?

YEAH RIGHT!!!

Period correct did'nt STOP at the dealership floor,that is where it STARTED!

And contiues to be so for a number of years from then,that why it is called "period" correct,for a period of time from when it was new.

Quote:
Period correct? 2 years dominate a decade? Hardly.
HARDLY matters if they dominated or not,they WERE available when this car was new!

Quote:
My statement didn't imply that there were no RWL tires in the 60's.
No it did'nt imply it,JUST CLEARLY STATED IT AS "FACT"!

Simple fact here is you said there were NO RWL tires in that period,guess what,YOU WERE WRONG!

Now just get over it...

This is just ridiculous!!!

I'm done with this silly *** thread,it's like trying to make a point to a wall...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TIRE2.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	30536  

Last edited by screamingchief; 10-21-2005 at 06:12 PM.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:50 PM
Senior Chief

For what it's worth, I've seen a few cars rolling around with private brand (I think) called Lemans. Not sure what the model is (e.g. Radial T/A).Definitely looks apropriate. Don't know which company sells them though. However, I do know that the tires were fairly new, so I'm sure you can still get them.

I have BFG T/As on my LeMans and I love them. Good ride and handling. I love the white letters on the outside, too! Gives the car an awesome look and stance!

1989 Trans AM GTA
Brilliant Red with Dove Grey Interior
5.7 TPI/700R4 3.27 "Aussie" Rear
-----
1972 LeMans with Endura Option
Lucerne Blue with Black interior and Black Vinyl Top
400/TH350 (Sold)
-----

"Wind in my hair, shifting and drifting, mechanical music, adrenaline surge..."
-Rush, "Red Barchetta"
Old 10-21-2005, 06:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Your a hoot.
Have an anger management issue?

I stand by my first, very small and to the point replies. All the rest of this B.S. is just that.
Cragar S/S? That fits well.

Old 10-21-2005, 07:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No anger issues on my part,your the one who could'nt stand somebody pointing out your mistake.

Maybe you should try some of that anger management stuff yourself ?

I've been on defense since I expressed my initial thoughts here.

You came after me just because I did'nt sit there and keep my mouth shut when I read something I did'nt agree with,well guess what, I'm not affraid to say whats on my mind,big deal,so what.

If thats a problem with you,so be it.

Just dont try to play this off like I'm the only one arguing here,anything you accuse me of applies equally to yourself!

From where I'm sitting,your the hoot!

And I'm betting you wont be able to just let this be the end of it either...

It is for me!

Old 10-21-2005, 07:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You said that before......

Old 10-23-2005, 12:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Like the Black Eyed Peas said, "Where's the Love?!"

Old 10-29-2005, 11:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey thinking of putting Crager s/s with Firestone Wide Ovals on my 67. Hope thats cool

Old 11-09-2005, 03:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

is there any company out there making a 70 series radial larger than 225/70r14? looking for a larger diameter for highway cruising with 3:55 rear and 455 motor plus a bit larger foorprint.

Old 11-09-2005, 04:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Man that screaming chief sure came by his name honestly!

He hardly ever adds anything to a thread, except arguing and screaming at the people who do not bow down. Anymore, I just abandon the thread when he starts that crap.

Old 11-09-2005, 05:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Man that screaming chief sure came by his name honestly!

He hardly ever adds anything to a thread, except arguing and screaming at the people who do not bow down. Anymore, I just abandon the thread when he starts that crap.
Ok now that's just a load of $#!T.

And you should be one to point fingers REARBANGER!

I cant count the times you jumped in and said something WRONG,or just to throw in a smart ass remark in threads,happens on the race forums often enough for sure!

I guess your just like DJ,you guys have some sort of issues with being CORRECTED or something...

Which must be a real b!tch because I'm sure it happens to ya'll all the time!

YOUR THE ONLY ONE WHO HAS'NT ADDED ANYTHING HERE JACKA$$!!!

Keep this crap up,make this personal,I GUARANTEE you'll regret it!

Go ahead and try to show that anything I've said is wrong,from any post or thread on these forums if it'll make your bruised ego feel better.

It should'nt be all that hard if your right, now should it???

I for one know you'll just show everyone what a total PUTZ you are!

And if you did find some errors it wont hurt me one little bit,I have been wrong before,and will be wrong sometime again,thats just life were humans,we can make mistakes,now you should just grow up and get over this.

I left this thread alone till now,but you rearbanger took this to a new LOW,you made a personal attack on me,with no relation to this thread whatsoever,I will not just ignore crap like that!

You wait till you think someones back is turned to start a fight,what a typical tactic for a chicken$#!t loser...

I'm not going to be turning my back to you anymore rearbanger,I advise you to keep your distance here on the forums,you keep this kind of $#!T up,I'll make it get REAL nasty,REAL quick!

I dont start THAT CRAP,I just END it.

Why does'nt anybody around here take responsibility for their own part in these kind of disagreements/disputes ???

I cant possibly be responsible for this alone.

Ya'll should just grow up and act like adults,dont freak out if somebody disagrees with you,or corrects your mistake,nobody is ALWAYS right,and yes that includes me.

What is so important about being right for you two guys that you'll loose all composure over being corrected on minor errors?

I have nothing to prove to anybody here,and all I have ever done was tried to give as correct and accurate info as possible,often with a great deal of time and effort involved (like this thread) investigating the facts to help another.

So if thats "adding nothing",and post's like gearbanger's is "adding" something,I guess I'll just have to reconsider helping ANYBODY here with ANYTHING other than smart a$$ remarks,incorrect information,and personal attacks...

Quote:
Like the Black Eyed Peas said, "Where's the Love?!"
My god man,listen to some REAL music will you...

I hate that band.

Last edited by screamingchief; 11-10-2005 at 02:30 AM. Reason: edited text