Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 01-02-2007, 01:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just remember with a big wheel you have a little sidewall, just don't hit any pot holes, or you will cut a tire and bend a wheel.

Old 01-02-2007, 01:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to YVEYANT

I think they look great on the blue car. To get the right look you have to nail the stance, tire size, rim width and many other variables. The rims also have to compliment the car, not scream obnoxiously "look at me". We are younger and this is acceptable within our generation. The older fellas here may not like it because they have an ideal of what the cars looked like in their day and that is okay. You do what you like. It is your car and should reflect your personality and tastes. When done right, 20"s out back and 18/19"s up front look great. I have never seen a car with 20"s up front that I liked. They just seem to look too big up front. Just my 2 cents.
This 65 GTO was done very tastefully, he tried to use rims that resemble the Hurst edition wheels, I am not the biggest fan of these Oasis wheels, but he nailed the stance on the car.

http://www.performancewestgroup.com/...o_gallery.html

Old 01-02-2007, 02:53 PM

I'm with the others. I could go for larger wheels on a newer car, but they look like sh*t on a classic Goat or any classic car for that matter. If you want to go big - go to 17s and no more. I think the old 14s are too small, though I like the design (Rallye II).

Old 01-02-2007, 04:56 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to the-rookie

"dub's" on any 60's or 70's Pontiac is just plain wrong. Don't like it at all.

Old 01-02-2007, 04:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

WHY?????? 16 inch max, and something "vintage" or "period". I'm thirty nine, didn't realize the generation gap had grown so wide.

Old 01-02-2007, 05:27 PM

For me, they are too large. I would go no more than 15". And I would shorten the exhaust tips too. But that's just me - you have to do what you like.

Old 01-02-2007, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart
Personally, on a '66/'67 I'd say 17" is about as big as you can go without looking funny. I've seen a few '68 and newer GTOs with 18" rims that looked good but that's stretching it (no pun intended.)

I have TA 16's on my 65 and I may go to 17" but that is about it. The problem with the 20's is the widths that you have to run cause interfearance problems no matter what you do.

I know that GTO's are not Miata's but unsprung weight is none the less important, check out the weight of the 20" combinations, far too heavy. Those tires and wheels were made for looks with a few exceptions, and you will pay a price, too high in my opinion.

Larry

Old 01-02-2007, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YVEYANT
I think they look great on the blue car. To get the right look you have to nail the stance, tire size, rim width and many other variables. The rims also have to compliment the car, not scream obnoxiously "look at me". We are younger and this is acceptable within our generation. The older fellas here may not like it because they have an ideal of what the cars looked like in their day and that is okay. You do what you like. It is your car and should reflect your personality and tastes. When done right, 20"s out back and 18/19"s up front look great. I have never seen a car with 20"s up front that I liked. They just seem to look too big up front. Just my 2 cents.
This 65 GTO was done very tastefully, he tried to use rims that resemble the Hurst edition wheels, I am not the biggest fan of these Oasis wheels, but he nailed the stance on the car.

http://www.performancewestgroup.com/...o_gallery.html

thanks for the feedback mate postive of neg I have pretty much come to the conclusion

1. stick with 18s no bigger

2. see if there is a rim a little more complimentary then my orginal picture at the top of this thread shows against the car ( black and silver ) againest my black car

3. when I change the car to disc brakes all around will rally II wheels that are 15 inch still fit on ? ( currently have 14x6 which I know will not ) is it the CALIPER I have to worry about all around or the 11inch rotor that gets in the way ? PLEASE ASSIST

Old 01-02-2007, 07:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a friend with 17' Cragars on his 67 convert. I like it a lot but wouldnt go any bigger. 18 is pushing it.

Old 01-02-2007, 07:19 PM

Send a message via MSN to 72_lemans Send a message via Yahoo to 72_lemans

fubar comes to mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Marx
"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand."
Debate Politics, tell 'em 72_lemans sent ya!
Old 01-02-2007, 07:21 PM
Senior Chief

I like those BIG wheels, they make me laugh!!
Especially when the owner is driving around with one little spare tire, because they hit a stick in the road and got a flat. Thats funny right there.

Old 01-02-2007, 07:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The taste of vomit coming up my throat when I look at something like that is quite unpleasant.
I'm only 41, but I shake my head in disgust when I see morons putting those 20-inch and above crap wheels on their cars. Fercryinoutloud, for most of these twits, if they hadn't spent the money on the wheels, they could have afforded a MUCH nicer car.
A radio station in town did a 1965 GTO (clone) convertible for a charity raffle last year, and put 17" Wheel Vintiques billet aluminum Rally II's on it. They were on the verge of being too big for the car, but the overall look was very clean. Check out the photo album of this car at the following link:
http://www.wcsx.com/jjandlynne/stone...icturepage.asp
Any bigger than that, you might as well go the full-tilt-stupid route, and get some real nice spinners. You'll be the shizzle in da 'hood...

Old 01-02-2007, 08:31 PM
Senior Chief

20" wheels can look good depending on ths style of them and the stance of the car. a 5 spoke, like ar tq II, or boyds junkyard dog wheels look killer.
i wouldnt put 20s on the front though.
theres a 66 or 67 in livermore that looks like it has 20s in the rear and maybe 17 or 18 in the front, and its slammed. looks nice (except for the crunched rear 1/4).
ill take a pic next time im down there visiting my father in law.

Old 01-02-2007, 09:15 PM

Default thanks

thanks for the info that boyds junkyard dog wheels looks pretty cool

yeah thinking 18's probably the best route .... send me that pic when you get a chance

ps. boy I think I really pissed off a lot of people with my choice of size and wheel - sorry if I offended any die hard GTO guys .. l have wanted this car for the past 6 years, saved and researched everything on the car....
so I am not some piss ant who has millions lying around, who knows nothing and certainly not looking to make this beautiful car look cheesy !

thanks everyone again ( neg or pos ! )

Old 01-02-2007, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie9999
thanks for the feedback mate postive of neg I have pretty much come to the conclusion

1. stick with 18s no bigger

2. see if there is a rim a little more complimentary then my orginal picture at the top of this thread shows against the car ( black and silver ) againest my black car

3. when I change the car to disc brakes all around will rally II wheels that are 15 inch still fit on ? ( currently have 14x6 which I know will not ) is it the CALIPER I have to worry about all around or the 11inch rotor that gets in the way ? PLEASE ASSIST
15" rims will not work with the new aftermarket, Baer, Willwood, disk brakes. You will have to go with 18" wheels.

As far as what size wheel, it could not be said any better then what has been listed below.

This forum is nothing but ancient school, well beyond old school, and they heavily critcize when you change from their purist traditions. Oh well, that's an indiviual prerogative.

Do what you feel is correct and what will work for you. If you are going to have the front of the car sitting upwards like an original, you are better to stick to an old school look and size. If you are going to modernize the car, add to the look as you invision, go with any size that fits your needs.

YVEYANT
I think they look great on the blue car. To get the right look you have to nail the stance, tire size, rim width and many other variables. The rims also have to compliment the car, not scream obnoxiously "look at me". We are younger and this is acceptable within our generation. The older fellas here may not like it because they have an ideal of what the cars looked like in their day and that is okay. You do what you like. It is your car and should reflect your personality and tastes. When done right, 20"s out back and 18/19"s up front look great. I have never seen a car with 20"s up front that I liked. They just seem to look too big up front. Just my 2 cents. This 65 GTO was done very tastefully, he tried to use rims that resemble the Hurst edition wheels, I am not the biggest fan of these Oasis wheels, but he nailed the stance on the car.

Last edited by Roger Poirier; 08-27-2007 at 09:46 PM.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You didn't piss me off at all. You asked for an opinion, and I gave it, but if you want to ride around in a car that looks like a wigger or negro-gang-banger owns it, knock yourself out.

Old 01-02-2007, 09:30 PM

You might want to post your questions at www.Lateral-g.net and or www.Pro-Touring.com for a more objective response.

R.P.

Old 01-02-2007, 09:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here you go:

http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicl.../photo_02.html

18" front and rear and this car looks bad a$$! Tuck them in like this one, and give it a similar stance and it too will look bas a$$...do nothing with the suspension or take any effort to tuck them in and it will look like hammered dog sh!t.

Old 01-02-2007, 11:25 PM

Default Reaction

LMAO !! - at some of the responses wow " wigger " haven't heard that in a long time mate ....you stuck at huckleberry farm or something well that's not the look I'm going for

I like the chip fooses outcomes ( and he's not gods gift ) but still nice wheels 18 s and such he makes the cars look really smart and clean ...

OLD SCHOOL - car guys are wicked
NEW SCHOOL - as well
JAP CARS - uhhhhhh what ever

tops to all of you !! .... and Roger and Yueynant thanks lads for the comments

rock n roll !!!

Old 01-03-2007, 10:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you gave them to me for free I wouldnt take them old school all the way