Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 01-03-2007, 06:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455HOGT37
The bigger is better mentality is a cultural, not design consideration. For instance, 13" diameter chrome spoke rims do not work on a '64 Impala, despite the fact that millions of Hispanics have sought this look and have paid good money to have them installed. Face it, some things work together, and some things don't, and it is not a matter of opinion. Although there may be some people who like mustard on vanilla ice cream, you are not likely to see that at the corner ice cream stand... Because it doesn't work.
Very well said 455. Sums up this whole thread.

Old 01-03-2007, 08:23 PM

I wonder why my Mazda 3 & 6 both come with low profile tires and 18" rims from the factory? I have been driving them through 2 Michigan winters. No problem.

Why does a Porsche come with 19" wheels from the factory? Give it a rest guys.
Let the man do what he wants. To piss everyone off I would like to see you go 22" rims. Now that would look cool....

R.P.

Last edited by Roger Poirier; 01-03-2007 at 10:25 PM.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:30 PM

Default hmmm

hahahahaha - brilliant enough is enough ... im going 26 inchs all around

a no fear sticker on the back window , dice on the rear view, leapord interior

now ..... who's your daaaddy !!

Old 01-03-2007, 10:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Uhh, Roger- Perhaps because those cars were actually DESIGNED and DEVELOPED with suspensions that could effectively work with those tire sizes? Not to mention, we're talking a weight delta here of nearly 1000 pounds.
No matter- it sounds like you're from "da hood". Just stay over on that side of town- we Dearbornites have been known to shoot Detroiters on sight.

Old 01-03-2007, 10:32 PM

forgetabout the wheels, I want the red 58 Buick in the background

Old 01-03-2007, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJH
Uhh, Roger- Perhaps because those cars were actually DESIGNED and DEVELOPED with suspensions that could effectively work with those tire sizes? No matter- it sounds like you're from "da hood".

Ha,ha, no wonder why Detroit is sometimes called the murder capital of the world...

Your comments on suspensions are good ones. Upgraded changes need to be made to work properly on these old cars. However, no suspension problems here!

R.P.

Last edited by Roger Poirier; 08-27-2007 at 09:46 PM.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Poirier
...Let the man do what he wants...
In case you forgot, what the man wants is opinions. Well, he got them. Don't get your panties in a wad because some of those opinions clash with your own distorted sense of style.

Old 01-04-2007, 01:12 AM
Senior Chief

I would seriously reconsider the 18 inch rims and put some more thought into 17's.

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS Jeff Gordon Edition
2017 Dodge Challenger SXT Black Top Edition
Old 01-04-2007, 01:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would put some 15" repop Hurst wheels on that Black 66 Goat.

Honestly I do not care for the big bling wheels on muscle cars.

Of course do what you want, it is your car. Someone will probably steal the big bling wheels soon enough anyway so keep those Rally wheels as spares.

Email jbr69gto@gmail.com

My Website www.minnesota-muscle.com

Old 01-04-2007, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Poirier
Ha,ha, no wonder why Detroit is sometimes called the murder capital of the world...

Your comments on suspensions are good ones. Upgraded changes need to be made to work properly on these old cars. However, no suspension problems here!

R.P.

what size rotors are you running

how much was the brake kit and where from please ?

Old 01-04-2007, 06:39 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Get some 17" (that's the biggest size were you can buy some decent tires like the MT et street radials) torque thrust wheels with gray center and satin finish lip.. that would look real good under the black car!
That's my opinion...

Old 01-04-2007, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GTO
Get some 17" (that's the biggest size were you can buy some decent tires like the MT et street radials) torque thrust wheels with gray center and satin finish lip.. that would look real good under the black car!
That's my opinion...
Thats what I have been considering myself, but I have not found out what they weigh yet. That will be the deciding factor.

Larry

Old 01-04-2007, 11:28 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie9999
what size rotors are you running

how much was the brake kit and where from please ?
Since he is not answering just yet, I will throw my two cents in on his attached thumbnails: First off, there are many possibilities for brakes these days, from radical aftermarket race units to kits using upgraded stock components. It looks like he has done what I did, which is use a bunch of stock and aftermarket direct-replacement parts: The fronts are B body spindles which will give you a 12 inch rotor. This is a direct bolt-on to any A body as long as you use the right ball joint and outer tie rod end, and all the parts are available at a junk yard or over the counter. It looks like he has gone the extra step and went with the tubular A arms which is really the "right" way to do it, because it sets the upper ball joints at the right angle to handle the taller spindle, and also might reduce unsprung weight a little. It is not clear from the pictures, but the aftermarket rotor he is using might be larger diameter, but one thing is certain- the wheels shown are FAR larger than required to clear the brakes (there goes the weight savings from the tubular arms). So anyway, the choice of wheel size is sometimes dictated by the brakes, but unless you are doing something radical, you can still fit a 16" wheel over almost anything available today, including the mild setup shown in the pictures.

You have a beautiful car in that 67... It sounds like you are on the right track, but if you listen to the "bigger is better crowd" and decide to ghetto it up anyway, just don't come back here and tell us you did it for the performance, we know better... Well, most of us anyway. There is a lot of good info in the suspension forum if you are looking for practical answers vs. going for a "look". I suggest you jump over there for guidance.

Last edited by 455HOGT37; 01-04-2007 at 11:36 AM.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:35 AM

Default advice

thanks for the advice mate .... again i hate the gheeto **** I will pick something that is hot rodish, I know those rims I pick do not go over well with the crowd here, but the black and silver polish really matches my car ...

I do want to keep the car TASTEFUL , and not gay, gang bangerish, or into a rice rocket, call me warped but those rims look like a good match they would make the car look really clean and still muscle

On the brakes issue yeah Im thinking about getting a brake kit they are roughly around 1300 rear and front altogether thats a 11inch rotor zinxed and slotted. Not looking for brand name big stuff, personally a 11 inch rotor will stop the car no problem I think people get the massive rotors paint them red or wahtever to show off ... they all do the same thing stop the car ....

thanks for the advice boys

Old 01-04-2007, 11:48 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You can get 12 inch front/11 inch rear combo using GM parts numbers for 99% of what you need.

My personal opinion, since it looks like you are going with brakes that will not drive you to anything bigger than 15 inch wheels, a set of fully polished Torque Thrust-II in 17". Yes, it's been done to the hilt, but that's because it looks good!

Old 01-04-2007, 12:06 PM

Default hmmmm

yeah those wheels have been done more then jema jameson .... got to look at something else ..

Robbie

Old 01-04-2007, 02:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

FWIW worth, my 66 with 17's in back, 16's up front. ( i know i need taller tires on the rear so save your breath )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gto1.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	77914   Click image for larger version

Name:	gto2.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	77915  

66 GTO clone, 467 cubic inches of Turbocharged Multiport Fuel Injected fury twisting a TH400 into 3.90's wrapped in a 12 bolt posi.

My T56 Install
My Turbo Build
My Vortech Supercharger Build
Hyd Throw out bearing
Misc Build Pics

May the Karma Gods meet you half way....
Old 01-04-2007, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455HOGT37
In case you forgot, what the man wants is opinions. Well, he got them. Don't get your panties in a wad because some of those opinions clash with your own distorted sense of style.

I didn't know my views were that bad.

R.P.

Old 01-04-2007, 06:25 PM
Senior Chief

Robbie did you even LOOK at any of the wheels I suggested? The wheels you chose are more so a problem than the size. They are just ugly. They don't look clean. Polished/chrome wheels will look great on the GTO, but if you really want to tie in some black, you can always black out the centers of the wheels and go for a polished lip, or a polished hoop. Your 6 spoke rims are for TRUCKS!

Went 12's in pure daily driver trim! A/C, leather power seats, power
steering, full stereo, sound deadening, power windows, full suspension,
true street tires, power 4 wheel discs, and 25MPG!
Old 01-04-2007, 10:26 PM
Senior Chief

Here is a 64 Catalina with 17s...I think it looks good with them, but I wouldn't go any bigger myself. I saw this one in person...it looks badaz. Hopefully mine will have the same stance in a cpl of months.

A buddy of mine has a wheel shop, Hosstyle Wheels. Yes, he is into that gigantic bs wheel stuff. He has a set of 26s in his show room .... He has been after me to put something besides the old hubcaps on mine. I am definitely not going any bigger than 17 though.