Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 09-28-2023, 10:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by opeliac View Post

My old junk ran mid 6.60s@3680lbs, and ran a 6.91 when I drove it down there and ran it on cheap pump gas...I wasnt trying to set a record, just show that it would do it...

That was around 1994...The engine is freshly machined, sitting on the stand waiting to be put back together...If I ever put it back in something, i'll throw crap gas in it and drive it just about anywhere you'd like to go.
That is awesome! So back in 1994 you were faster than John Langer in 1996, just as fast as Doug Hite's record setting GTO in 1996. A lot faster than the NMCA record in 1996 and you did it all on pump gas!

No wonder your chit hasn't run in thirty years. You just wanted to give the rest of us a chance to catch up.

Why don't you just stop!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230928-083316.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	620683  

Old 09-28-2023, 10:04 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
That is awesome! So back in 1994 you were faster than John Langer in 1996, just as fast as Doug Hite's record setting GTO in 1996. A lot faster than the NMCA record in 1996 and you did it all on pump gas!

No wonder your chit hasn't run in thirty years. You just wanted to give the rest of us a chance to catch up.

Why don't you just stop!
1/8th mile Paul...I'm shocked that you even remotely thought that I said it ran 6.60s in the 1/4...

EDIT: I just read your attachment...So now you're questioning that my car went 6.60s in the 1/8th? PLEASE tell me that you arent doubting that too.

Old 09-28-2023, 10:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
1/8th mile Paul...I'm shocked that you even remotely thought that I said it ran 6.60s in the 1/4...
I know 1/8 mile.... My attachment is discussing 1996 NMCA (semi-professional) 1/8 mile times. According to you, you had them and the record covered and did it all two years before them .... On pump gas.

Simply amazing!

Old 09-28-2023, 10:18 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
I know 1/8 mile.... My attachment is discussing 1996 NMCA (semi-professional) 1/8 mile times. According to you, you had them and the record covered and did it all two years before them .... On pump gas.

Simply amazing!
Ok, obviously you cant comprehend what you read...My car went mid 6.60s on good fuel...The ONLY time I drove it down and ran it on pump gas, it went a 6.91...I dont care what the NMCA had or did...I went to Memphis and ran in Super Street two years in a row, it qualified with a 10.20 thye first time(nitrous solenoid plunger went bad so I had to qualify NA)...The second year my ignition box failed and I didnt qualify...

So, if a 6.91 on pump gas was such a big deal, then I guess it was a big deal.

Old 09-28-2023, 01:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Ok, obviously you cant comprehend what you read...My car went mid 6.60s on good fuel...The ONLY time I drove it down and ran it on pump gas, it went a 6.91...I dont care what the NMCA had or did...I went to Memphis and ran in Super Street two years in a row, it qualified with a 10.20 thye first time(nitrous solenoid plunger went bad so I had to qualify NA)...The second year my ignition box failed and I didnt qualify...

So, if a 6.91 on pump gas was such a big deal, then I guess it was a big deal.
What were you running in the way of cam timing?

Stan

David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization - Cam Selection Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
Download FREE 14 Trial IOP / Flow Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV/Flow_..._Day_Trial.php
Pontiac Pump Gas List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_gas.htm
Using PMD Block and Heads List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_pmd.htm
The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Weiss For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2023, 02:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In the late 1970s when all the oil companies did away with premium fuel of any persuasion, I got my 12 to 1, 428 running in my dirt track car. I was so impressed with the new MOROSO octane booster that I tried to run it on 89 regular fuel with the appropriate mixture of what MOROSO recommended. After the 20 lap feature race, which I never finished, I pulled in with pits with smoke billowing from the breathers. I ran about 17 laps of the 20 lap feature.

Upon tear down I had torched a hole in one TRW 12 to 1 piston, and seriously caved in the remaider of the crowns of every other piston. The fresh engine had aluminum all through it and needed a complete set of new pistons as well as rings, and bearings. I never tried that again, after a call to Nunzi,(when he used to help people over the phone in the evening) He told me to find a set of smogger 400 heads and run them to lower it back down to a reasonable level. Found a set of 71 400 heads, lowered the compression and ran the car for 2 seasons without a hitch.

Now that's my true story about running a 12 to 1 engine on 89 octane fuel, it lasted about 30 laps, an expensive lesson learned.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2023, 03:41 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Weiss View Post

Stan
I had a Crane roller that was made in 1969. It was a low lift high duration cam. I had it in at 112 most of the time. I still have the old camshaft too.

Old 09-28-2023, 03:45 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
In the late 1970s when all the oil companies did away with premium fuel of any persuasion, I got my 12 to 1, 428 running in my dirt track car. I was so impressed with the new MOROSO octane booster that I tried to run it on 89 regular fuel with the appropriate mixture of what MOROSO recommended. After the 20 lap feature race, which I never finished, I pulled in with pits with smoke billowing from the breathers. I ran about 17 laps of the 20 lap feature.

Upon tear down I had torched a hole in one TRW 12 to 1 piston, and seriously caved in the remaider of the crowns of every other piston. The fresh engine had aluminum all through it and needed a complete set of new pistons as well as rings, and bearings. I never tried that again, after a call to Nunzi,(when he used to help people over the phone in the evening) He told me to find a set of smogger 400 heads and run them to lower it back down to a reasonable level. Found a set of 71 400 heads, lowered the compression and ran the car for 2 seasons without a hitch.

Now that's my true story about running a 12 to 1 engine on 89 octane fuel, it lasted about 30 laps, an expensive lesson learned.

I could see that being a recipe for disaster. Totally different scenario than mine was.

Old 09-28-2023, 04:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay S View Post
Lol…The not so bright new tanker truck driver filled the Road Diesel tank pumps at the local service station with gasoline a while back. So I guess quite a few of us around here have ran some turbo charged 16:1 engines on pump gas.
And diesels like detonation far less than gasoline engines. Used to get injectors time to time out of EMDs (4,500 hp) that suffered detonation due to low cetane; “ugly” doesn’t describe what they looked like internally. My BIL did that with his brand new C2500 Duramax. He got five miles before the engine shut down. I castigated him because back then (2006) new injectors for a Duramax were $1,000 each.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 09-28-2023, 04:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Like we really gave a crap if it "harmed" the engine...LOL...It did EXACTLY what we wanted it to do, and it did it quite well while doing it...
You should. If your car slowed down 3 tenths with pump gas you are beating your rod bearings to death. Just a matter of time.
Not sure what the big deal is about running a 6.91.
My old school, old junk 455 ran a 6.80 at 9.3 to 1 CR. A real pump gas engine.

Old 09-28-2023, 05:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
And diesels like detonation far less than gasoline engines. Used to get injectors time to time out of EMDs (4,500 hp) that suffered detonation due to low cetane; “ugly” doesn’t describe what they looked like internally. My BIL did that with his brand new C2500 Duramax. He got five miles before the engine shut down. I castigated him because back then (2006) new injectors for a Duramax were $1,000 each.
Yep, was a expensive goof for that service station!

The Following User Says Thank You to Jay S For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2023, 06:38 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
You should. If your car slowed down 3 tenths with pump gas you are beating your rod bearings to death. Just a matter of time.
I freshened it up every winter, and never lost a bearing over 5 years. It was a toy, and it was stupid to put race fuel in it all the time. As for it being a “big deal”, I’m not the one that acted like 6.60 in a 3680lb car was all that impressive in 1994.

Old 09-28-2023, 07:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefbigb View Post
I run aviation fuel in my street cars. 100 octane low lead. If there is a small local airport around there they will probably sell you some. I get 50 gallons at a time in a drum. 6 to 7 dollars a gallon and lasts forever. No ethenol.
Same here,,,i have a small airport about 2 miles from my house.Swipe my CC and pump away!

Old 09-28-2023, 07:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post

That's a real bummer. Until I read this thread is think higher octane fuel would've helped out the situation. Now I understand you needed to raise your compression two full points and go with 93 octane.

I always got a craving for pizza after I hung up the phone with Nunzi.

Old 09-28-2023, 07:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
6.60 on pump gas was easy for some back in 94 but 6.60 was difficult for others in 1996 running NMCA ..... This is a post from John Langer. He was running 10.50's at the time
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230928-083316.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	620716  

Old 09-28-2023, 07:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Weiss View Post

Stan
Those cast iron core Crane Cams rollers from the 60's were ideal for high mileage pump gas combinations back in the day.... They never wore out.

Old 09-28-2023, 08:07 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
6.60 on pump gas was easy for some back in 94 but 6.60 was difficult for others in 1996 running NMCA ..... This is a post from John Langer. He was running 10.50's at the time
Who ever said anything about running 6.60s on pump gas? Also, I didn’t realize that everything was based off of John Langer in the 90s.

Old 09-28-2023, 08:08 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Those cast iron core Crane Cams rollers from the 60's were ideal for high mileage pump gas combinations back in the day.... They never wore out.
Well, I have one with a lobe wiped off. Race fuel would’ve probably kept the rocker arm tight.

Old 09-28-2023, 08:10 PM
Senior Chief

Next thing I know, you guys will tell me it didn’t have working AC when it ran that fast.

Old 09-28-2023, 08:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
My old 455 was 11.8:1, and I drove it on 89 octane almost daily...and over the 5 years that I had it together, never had an issue...Its not perfect, but its worked for years.
Quote:
I drove mine through every season that we have here in Kentucky...Sometimes it was the only thing that was running,
Quote:
Like we really gave a crap if it got "harmed"
Quote:
I freshened it up every winter, and never lost a bearing over 5 years. .

Let me get this straight.... The engine was together for five years. You drove it almost daily. You didn't care if it blew up and you freshened it up every winter....