Old 04-28-2000, 12:22 PM

I finally got my '61 fullsize Ventura running last year, after a total engine teardown. My final technical hurdle is that there seems to be a lot of rust in the gas tank. If I crank the engine with fuel lines off, some mighty nasty rusty gas comes out. I naturally have it filtered before the carb.

What would be my best route to eliminating the problem. I have heard of sealants or coatings for inside the tank. Anybody know if they work, or should I be cautious about these products?

------------------[list}
<LI>'61 Pontaic Ventura 4dr Hardtop
<LI>Known as "Ace Ventura" or "The Chief"[/list]

Old 04-28-2000, 12:22 PM

I finally got my '61 fullsize Ventura running last year, after a total engine teardown. My final technical hurdle is that there seems to be a lot of rust in the gas tank. If I crank the engine with fuel lines off, some mighty nasty rusty gas comes out. I naturally have it filtered before the carb.

What would be my best route to eliminating the problem. I have heard of sealants or coatings for inside the tank. Anybody know if they work, or should I be cautious about these products?

------------------[list}
<LI>'61 Pontaic Ventura 4dr Hardtop
<LI>Known as "Ace Ventura" or "The Chief"[/list]

Old 04-28-2000, 03:48 PM
Bonker's-T-Cat Moderator

Remove the tank and take it to a shop specializing in boiling out the tank. Some radiatior shops still do it. They will boil out the tank with an agent that attacks rust.
The tank then needs to be relined. Eastwood company has such a product. Finding a good tank Might be a better option. Also the fuel lines may need to be replaced. Rust will constantly break loose and go to the fuel pump and carb. Even after flushing the tank. I would recomend running a filter in between the tank and the fuel pump. Also put one in between the fuel pump and carb. Carry spairs and tools to replace them. I have had the tank flushed and relined and still find stuff in the filters. It will get less and less as time goes by.

------------------
Mr. Z