Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 07-15-2007, 12:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to performerrpm
Default 455 cam query

iam thinking about swapping cams in my 66 i have a 71 455+ .030 it has cast crank forged rods and forged flat tops with a pair 72cc eheads 1.65 roller rockers msd ignition and xe274. the car has a 4 speed and 411 outback this motor was copied pretty much from car craft 2001 issue which made 501 hp and more than 575 lbs tq on 10.0 mine is built with 11.5 cr and right now it has a repro aluminum 66 tri power. i have heard it run with open hedders and it does have a choppy sound to it and all but once i install the exhaust if it does sound radical enough i wanna put a little more radical sounding cam but not at the expense of performance street manners aren't really a concern not with gas prices well above 3 dollars this will just be out on the week end

Last edited by performerrpm; 07-15-2007 at 02:08 AM.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default spelling

guess i shouldve looked thread over the spelling is pretty bad .....owhell

Old 07-15-2007, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by performerrpm
guess i shouldve looked thread over the spelling is pretty bad .....owhell
You can go back and edit your post to fix them, click on the 'edit' button at the bottom of your post and you can fix it if you like.

to the PY forums.

Old 07-15-2007, 02:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd be real suprised if you did'nt find that you have some detonation issues with this combo once it's on the road.

That XE274 and your compression ratio are'nt going to be the best of friends in a combo like this,there is good reason why the car craft folks stayed with the 87cc E-heads and kept the compression lower with the XE274 cam in that article.

With your current compression ratio,those rear gears and a four speed,my cam choice would likely be something along the lines of the crower #60244 if I were intent on staying with a hydraulic cam.

If you were open to using a solid cam,the crower #60311 comes to mind as a good choice off the top of my head.

Just some quick and dirty recommendations,I'm sure you'll get plenty of other suggestions here.

HTH.

In the meantime,check out the cars HERE.

Old 07-15-2007, 02:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

i have seen that same cam recommended to other people on here for their combo's too iam gonna look into it the reason i went with 72s was so i could change it up a bit after it was built . alot easier to change cams than heads from a $$$ stand point

Last edited by performerrpm; 07-15-2007 at 02:19 AM.