THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-26-2017, 03:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default We lost another member of our community- George Hanks

I just found out today that my dear friend George Hanks passed away about 3 weeks ago. George was known to many of us as "Witch Doctor" and years ago often attended the Pontiac Uprising in Arkansas City, Kansas and the Pontiac Southern Nationals in Dallas.

Although not active in the hobby anymore we communicated often on the phone and had lunch together on occasions. He will be deeply missed.

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE
Old 01-26-2017, 04:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I remember him! Always a clever response when asked. Sad to hear.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 01-26-2017, 04:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Old 05-09-2003, 06:51 PM

The amount of overlap between the main and rod journals, as viewed from the end of the shaft across the counter weight has always been a major factor in crankshaft design. All cranks flex during operation. Eventually, any crankshaft will break. It is not unlike bending a short section of thin sheet metal to fracture, but in the case of the crank, the cycles required to fracture are in the multi million range.

I am reserving my opinion of the Asian cast cranks, with the 3.00" mains, 2.20" rod journal size, and the 4.25" stroke. I have yet to see any of the vendors publish the actual controlled iron alloy mixtures, as opposed to the old factory nodular iron mix. Quality control, dealing with third world, low price products has been a problem in the mass engine rebuilding market, and there has not been enough run time on these products to make an honest evaluation.

Race engines, that measure operating time in 1/4 mile passes are not really stressing the cranks as much as those who will actually put several thousand street miles per year on the engines. Only time will tell. WD

His one and only post. R.I.P WD.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 01-26-2017, 04:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I remember him posting on CP 10 or 15 years ago.

Old 01-26-2017, 05:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

He was a fixture on Classical Pontiac but for years now he had no interest in going on line with a computer. He did dabble with a few local fellows and we would go to lunch but his health had not been good for quite some time. About a year ago at my urging, and he agreed, we started to find people interested in the large amount of Pontiac parts he had in storage. He was doing so and happy. It was a shock to me when I called to say hello and his wife gave me the news.

Old 01-26-2017, 08:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When my son and I were first getting into the street/strip scene back in 2000 or so, I remember coming across Classical Pontiac and learning real quick that George Hanks was the go to guy. I learned a whole bunch about engine building and overall car setup from his 'data base'. I knew that he had backed away from the hobby and didn't post anymore on the forums, but I had exchanged e-mail several times after that and he referenced some health issues, but this is still a surprise; he will be missed.

69 Bird w/1970 400 block(409 cubes), #64 heads, hyd. roller, Q-jet by Jeff E., original interior, ps, pdb, th350, and 3.73 gears. Pump gas, street driven muscle. 3800 lbs. race weight. Best, 11.39 @118, my son's car.

79 T/A w/463, Scat crank, Eagle rods, Icon pistons, Lunati solid roller, 262/270, KRE 325 heads, Northwind intake, QF950 carb, full interior, ps, pdb, th350, and 3.73 gears. Pump gas, 3650 lbs. race weight. 10.68 @ 126 so far... no tuning yet.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sad news. I definitely remember communicated with him on CP.

Old 01-26-2017, 11:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

He was a good guy.

Old 01-27-2017, 08:53 PM
Performance Pontiac Author

Steve,
Thank you for posting this sad news.

George Hanks was an amazing person, and one of my favorite authorities in the Pontiac hobby. He was not necessarily an amazing builder, nor a special engineer, nor a fabulous racer. But he combined his abilities of extensive overall general and technical knowledge about the evolution of the Pontiac V8 with direct, accurate, and honest writing, discussions, and helpful information about how to best use the parts the Pontiac engineers designed and installed in our cars. He was an accomplished machinist and a terrific communicator and did do some minor road racing. George could and did answer almost any question that appeared on the Classical Pontiac Q&A board from the late 1990’s up into the mid-2000’s.

Many don’t realize that Classical Pontiac had more members and more traffic then all other Pontiac sites through that period. And George was the person we all read to get accurate opinion and reporting. And he did it with class, great humor, and no insults ever! And much of that info is still posted in the Classical Pontiac archives – select Search, select “search text” and enter George’s board name Witchdoctor and begin with Archive 6 and select “Display Q & A Topics.

I don’t want this memorial to be about others but will copy part of a statement George posted after the cold day of the 2000 Pontiac Uprising at Ark City, Kansas, that illustrates his humor, style, and accurate relevant information (Post 20369, archive 8):

“Man, what a fine meet. I know that the temp. said 52, but what is the chill factor with 25 mph. Northerly gusts? I brought my Nannuick coat, but Saturday morning at the motel, decided that a sweat shirt and quilted lumber shirt would be enough. Wrong, South Texas boy. But chattering teeth and all, it was worth every second. I had never seen Jim Hand's wagon run, and watching it idle at 750 rpm. and 15" Hg. in neutral, and 725 rpm. and the same 15" Hg. in drive was an eye opener as just to how mild a really well thought out, and tuned big Pontiac engine can be. The word is docile, until the last yellow starts to glimmer. Then it is sheer stored violence. On ET Streets, seeing something that large leap into the air, and run 11.30s, is a sight that I hope I captured on film. The Mid West people could not have been nicer, and they put on one great event. Yeh, Floyd got shaded a touch, but 11.50s is no slouch, and he actually turned a faster 60 ft. time on a couple of passes than the wagon. It was ironic that first round bugs bit darn near everyone, as the barometer went out of sight during the first elimination rounds. A really large chunk of praise is due Steve Coombs, and his son. They made the fast 16 race, and put some electronic cars on the trailer, before breaking out by .001 in the semis. If that kid ever decides to race more than three times as year, look out. I realize that I am wound up from the race and 10 hours on the road, but I really enjoyed meeting several of the people from the board, and I will be back next year. WD.”End of George's post".

Additionally, I received direct personal help from George and his wife. They sent me extensive accurate medical reference information about prostate cancer (from her career medical experience) when I was diagnosed with cancer in 2002 to help me decide how to proceed.

And George worked with me on my 2004 Cartech book (#SA78) on the Pontiac V8. He provided much of the engine history in the first chapter.

It is very difficult to realize that such an enjoyable period in our life has ended and that George WD is gone!

George, I miss you very much - rest in peace.

Jim Hand

Old 01-27-2017, 09:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry for the loss. Prayers sent.

Old 01-27-2017, 11:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That was a very nice post, Mr. Hand. I would say WD was one of the most respected members there. If he said it, you could take it to the bank.
With all that he contributed, it's pretty sad that news of his passing isn't even a topic there.

Last edited by 400 4spd.; 01-28-2017 at 12:01 AM.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Prayers sent, Very good read also.

Old 01-28-2017, 12:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

RIP WD
I remember WitchDoctor well from CP.. That was the first Pontiac "place", and WD was the voice of it..
I just went and logged in for teh first time in over a decade probably,,and ran a quick search and read a few old 1999-2000 posts and as Jim Hand said, WD was answering them all with knowledge and humor..
Saw a few other names I forgot..
Sad to hear this..

Work
'67 GTO Convertible "Koerner Built 413 500 hp with a Victor!.. I'll run a stock intake."
'75 Formula 400 - Daily Driver -
Running with my Home Built 455 and TH400

Details here:
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=588372
Old 01-30-2017, 01:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Jim. George and Jim did a lot of informal seminars together at these races we went to, both at Ark City and the Pontiac Southern Nationals in Dallas.

I remember that cold day George mentions !

"A really large chunk of praise is due Steve Coombs, and his son. They made the fast 16 race, and put some electronic cars on the trailer, before breaking out by .001 in the semis. If that kid ever decides to race more than three times as year, look out."

Great fun that day at Ark City but sadly my son took up fishing as a hobby and never raced my car again. But George was a lot of help to us. Also Jim's post brought out the fact that George always had a great bit of humor in him.

Last edited by Steve C.; 01-30-2017 at 01:34 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Very sad news.

Just saw this on PY as the site was down for a few days but found out over the weekend.

Thanks to Steve and Jim for the phone calls to let me know.......Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),