Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 12-15-2023, 06:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default TKO VS TKX

I have taken inventory of a few people and I think I know what I’m gonna do but I need a devils advocate. I have the TKO600 and it has the dreaded 2-3 grind that a lot of them have. I have talked to some of you guys that have had this problem and everyone has assured me that putting in the synchros is no big deal and I can do it myself with the help of the video. The synchros and shift pads add up to almost 400 if I buy them from all trans in Greenville SC which is my local authority on performance trans. So the suggestion was thrown out by them that my trans was still worth 1800-2000 in the condition it’s in now. They sell the TKX for 2795. Why shouldn’t I just sell my TKO and buy the TKX? They will even swap it while I wait (2 hours) for an additional 300 bucks if I do t want to do it myself. So what would you guys do? Seems like a no brainer but there is always a devils advocate here which is what I want also can I use my TKO white lightning shifter with the TKX? Will the .68 overdrive be noticeable over the .64?

Old 12-15-2023, 07:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My buddy blew up two new Tkos on the 2-3 shift in his 65 both at the track. Last one split the case and it’s was just about all junk he switched to a different model but my vote would be to switch to tkx and if you have a mcloud twin disc clutch to loose that too and get something more forgiving
Those trans in my opinion just don’t hold up Well w Pontiac torque and sticky tires
He hasn’t been to track w latest trans yet I’ll figure out what he installed it was tkx

1972 Maverick under slow construction

Last edited by mysticmissle; 12-15-2023 at 07:39 AM.
Old 12-15-2023, 07:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If they are charging $400 for synchros and shift pads they are making a killing because everyone else is about $120 for that setup.

Yes there is a noticeable difference between .064 and .068 overdrive. That was the wrong move for tremec. They should have paid more attention to the 1.89 to 1.28 drop from 2nd to 3rd as that's a much bigger rpm drop and honestly the most annoying thing about the TKO in my opinion. Would have been better served to put a 1.34 3rd in there. Or better yet if they really want a close ratio as they claim it is, use the ratios that the cobra spec T5's adapted. That's much more of a close ratio than the TKO ever was.
In fact I've been gravitating and buying the GForce T-5's now. Not only are they a true close ratio but I have my choice of overdrive all the way down to .58 for 5th gear. Just did a .63 and it's fantastic, and still rated for 600ft lbs. They also shift better as they have a single rail system vs the sometimes cumbersome 3 rail setups of the TK's

But hey, that's just me. But I for sure wouldn't be paying $400 for synchros. I'd call American power train. Shipped to your door is still 1/4th of that price.

Also technically the slight grind they refer to should be happening in all gears (except 5th as that has a solid brass synchro) 1-4 uses those faulty lined syncros. Only having one do it is a little odd, possibly because you haven't put enough miles on it yet. Eventually all the gears will do it.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE

Last edited by Formulajones; 12-15-2023 at 07:33 AM.
Old 12-15-2023, 10:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll throw out my .02 I was in the same dilemma as you. Only difference my TKO600 wasn't grinding gears or having any issue shifting. I listed my TKO and sold it. I had called Modern Drive-line and spoke with a guy about getting a kit for my TKO if and when I did have issue with it. I was told they weren't being made available anymore. Getting harder to source. I was told the TKX was formulated after the T56 transmission. Also the synchros and shift issues were corrected with the new TKX. The TKO600 is supposedly not being made anymore and parts will dry up for it. The TKO is also a gasket-less transmission and the new TKX has gaskets for sealing. The TKO and TKX have pretty much the same foot print. In other word you can remove the TKO and install the TKX without any changes. The TKO shifters will not fit on the TKX. I went with a Modern Drive-line shifter. There a very nice piece. https://www.moderndriveline.com/shop...y-rear-socket/
As far as ratio goes, I have no experience with .68 or .64. I'm sure there is not much of a difference as they are close together. If anything for me the .68 would be better. Rear-end gear is also key to tyranny choice. You could google one of those gear ratio calculators and see what rpm changes will be. My transmission I choose the .81 .82 because of how and where I drive.

Looking back now, reasons I sold and moved to the new TKX was because of the newest and greatest thing I guess. TKO parts will dry up, No gasket transmission, Shifting issues, Syncros availability. Plus it can be shifted at any rpm pretty much, and I got a good price for my existing TKO. Do I notice any difference from the TKO to the TKX. I would say the only advantage is shifting. The TKO is a pretty smooth transmission for shifting. I find the TKX needs to warm up for a bit before it becomes smoother, but not by much. I tried all the different fluids out there for these transmissions and finally settled on the recommended Dexron 111 fluid. One thing I have notice is the ability to shift into first alot sooner with the TKX when coming to a stop. I do like that. Also no issues shifting in any gear and any rpm. Would I do it again. for sure. Depends on the price you get for your original TKO.

68 Firebird. IA2 block, 505 cu in, E-head, Solid roller 3650 weight. Reid TH400 4:11 gear. 29" slick.
Best so far 10.12@133 mph. 1.43 60 ft.
76 Trans am, TKX .81 o/d, 3.73 Moser rearend,
468 with KRE D-ports, Doug headers, 3" Exh.

Last edited by chuckies76ta; 12-15-2023 at 10:57 AM.
Old 12-15-2023, 10:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The syncros will and should always be available so that shouldn't be a huge concern, they are the same as used in a Muncie or Toploader. Not sure where you heard that, but most likely from someone trying to push the new TKX lol. Also after having dozens of these apart, I much prefer the gasketless transmission. Anarobic sealant does the job fine, with no gasket mess cleanup, and I don't have to search out and order/wait for gasket kits. Super simple. They can keep the gaskets.

The .64 to .68 overdrive makes a pretty noticeable difference, which is why I now avoid the TKX. It's about a 5 mph change in cruise speed. Maybe for you guys living back East and only driving 20 miles between towns this isn't a concern, but for me out in the desert southwest where we have 100's of miles between towns with wide open deserts, it's a huge deal. Can't even consider .81 overdrives out here, not even worth my time unless the car has a 2.50 gear LOL That was actually first brought into the mix for the road racers that wanted a little extra on the road courses with the longer straights, another close ratio drop if you will. Somehow that got mixed in with the street crowd and started being offered as a viable option for overdrives, not sure why.

So ya just have to pick your poison.

Old 12-15-2023, 11:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Any thing I forgot to mention was the shifter I bought from Modern drive-line in my opinion is a very well made unit and I enjoy shifting with it alot more than my previous shifter. I also never made any modification to the TKX that was done to my previous TKO and the TKX has fit into my car with no issues. I'm very happy with it.

68 Firebird. IA2 block, 505 cu in, E-head, Solid roller 3650 weight. Reid TH400 4:11 gear. 29" slick.
Old 12-15-2023, 11:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Not sure where you heard that, but most likely from someone trying to push the new TKX lol. Yes I understand that, I know how the market works.

Old 12-15-2023, 12:55 PM
Senior Chief

I swapped my TKO out for a TKX because I wanted a different OD. The old TKO was over a dozen years old and performed flawlessly. New TKX I actually get a seldom gear grind. Running a white lightning shifter on it.

The case design of the TKX is worth it alone in my opinion as resale value will be higher since it fits more cars with no cutting.

Old 12-15-2023, 02:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckies76ta View Post
Any thing I forgot to mention was the shifter I bought from Modern drive-line in my opinion is a very well made unit and I enjoy shifting with it alot more than my previous shifter. I also never made any modification to the TKX that was done to my previous TKO and the TKX has fit into my car with no issues. I'm very happy with it.
Yes the TKX is a nice box and will continue to be popular. I just wish they offered more gear ratio options.

Old 12-15-2023, 06:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah TKO's have a 3rd gear gate issue at high rpm, but short of 7,000rpm shifts a lot of it is muscle memory because the gate isn't in the same place as the T-5 or 4 speeds. I've had a TKO-600 in my car since 2008, a handful of Drag Week's on it shifting at 6,100 rpm and never have had it apart. I like the deeper OD. If I were buying today I'd probably get a TKX simply because its newer technology. I have a Magnum 6-speed I'm looking at putting in my Firebird and disappointed its the 0.68 OD because I want to run 4.xx gears in it.

If you've not yet installed the TKO then I could see jumping over to the TKX for a better trans tunnel fit and you wouldn't miss the extra deep OD gear.

The Silver Buick- '77 Skylark coupe w/455, SPX, MegaSquirt 3 & TKO-600 (Drag Week 2011, 2012 & 2015!)

1969 Firebird with a turbo'd Pontiac L6 controlled by a MegaSquirt 3 and backed with a microsquirt controlled 4L60e and 4.56 gears! (Drag Week 2018!)
The Following User Says Thank You to TheSilverBuick For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2023, 09:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
I have a Magnum 6-speed I'm looking at putting in my Firebird and disappointed its the 0.68 OD because I want to run 4.xx gears in it.

I've run 3 of the 6 speeds in the past and they were all .50 6th gear. I think 5th was .74. That 6th gear was sweet. I pulled the 3.42's and ran 4.10's with that and it simply went to sleep on the highway. They were pretty nice close ratio type boxes too with a 2.66 first gear and a really nice gear spread. That's the only 6 speed setup I would even consider, but the packaging keeps me away.

Not sure why they even started making 6 speeds with a .68 6th gear, that makes no sense to me at all. Usually those are a wide ratio type of box too with a 2.97 first gear.

Old 12-16-2023, 01:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Agreed, but I got an unused new one locally from abandoned project for $1,500 under retail so I wasn't picky on the gearing so long as it had the GM input shaft.

The Silver Buick- '77 Skylark coupe w/455, SPX, MegaSquirt 3 & TKO-600 (Drag Week 2011, 2012 & 2015!)

1969 Firebird with a turbo'd Pontiac L6 controlled by a MegaSquirt 3 and backed with a microsquirt controlled 4L60e and 4.56 gears! (Drag Week 2018!)
Old 12-16-2023, 09:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Can't beat that. I think anyone, including myself, would be tempted on that deal.

Old 12-23-2023, 03:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So I’ve made the decision. I am gonna put the TKX on layaway and baby my TKO. When I have paid the TKX down about a grand then I will list my trans for 1800 and try to wash things out. This is my only dilemma. My car was an automatic bench seat car. I don’t have the tunnel hump and the shifter comes right out of the center of the trans tunnel cause it was a bench. I am using Scat Pro Car buckets now but reaching the shifter is no problem. Should I order it with the same shifter position I have now and just rock on or should I buy the shifter for a factory 4 speed position and get the hump to put down? Also with my 3.70 rear gears is there gonna be a noticeable difference in takeoff? 1st is really short now. What shifter are you guys using?

Old 12-23-2023, 03:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The ratios on the TKX are the same, the only thing they monkeyed with is 5th gear changing it to a .68 as the most overdrive available, and that's in the 2.87 box.

So in other words, no change in take off, unless you go for the 3.27 box.

Old 12-24-2023, 11:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
So I’ve made the decision. I am gonna put the TKX on layaway and baby my TKO. When I have paid the TKX down about a grand then I will list my trans for 1800 and try to wash things out. This is my only dilemma. My car was an automatic bench seat car. I don’t have the tunnel hump and the shifter comes right out of the center of the trans tunnel cause it was a bench. I am using Scat Pro Car buckets now but reaching the shifter is no problem. Should I order it with the same shifter position I have now and just rock on or should I buy the shifter for a factory 4 speed position and get the hump to put down? Also with my 3.70 rear gears is there gonna be a noticeable difference in takeoff? 1st is really short now. What shifter are you guys using?

Be nice if you could post a few pics of the shifter setup now. You should be able to have the shifter in the same position as they are pretty much identical tyrannies. You can always change the shifter handle to suite your driving comfort. My shifter handle did not work on my new TKX. It was just to tall and felt like I was driving a truck. Difference was that the TKO was modified for the shifter from Keisler at the time. On the TKX the shifter sits on the top of the tranny tunnel. I just went with a shorter shifter handle and really enjoy it as it always my arm to rest on the console.

Old 12-24-2023, 02:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
... reaching the shifter is no problem. Should I order it with the same shifter position I have now ...
Last time I looked, the wife-unit was supposed to be
able to drive it as well. Hand her an imaginary shifter,
and see where it positions itself.

Old 12-25-2023, 02:01 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242177P View Post
the wife-unit…..Hand her an imaginary shifter,
Um…. If I try that, I don’t think it would end well for me.

Old 12-26-2023, 04:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242177P View Post
Last time I looked, the wife-unit was supposed to be
able to drive it as well. Hand her an imaginary shifter,
I try an do that every friday and sleep real well after words. LMAO

GT

PS couldn't resist.

Old 12-26-2023, 08:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueghoast View Post
I try an do that every friday and sleep real well after words. LMAO
Afterwards or after words?

2 completely different scenarios here...