THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-21-2017, 03:35 PM

I put my eclipse glasses over my camera lens and got a few good pictures.

James
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8531.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	461653   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8538.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	461654   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8541.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	461655   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8559.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	461656   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8569.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	461657  

Old 08-21-2017, 03:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"...shadows cast by the Sun durng the day move East to West:.."

I can't answer the question. But, in my mind, shadows move from West to East. Here in LA, when the sun is coming up in the East, your shadow will be cast toward the West. When the sun is going down in the West, your shadow will be cast toward the East.

Am I missing something here ?

Old 08-21-2017, 03:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was here for it but couldn't tell if the moon showed up or not. It didn't even get dark here and we were supposed to have 90% coverage.

Old 08-21-2017, 03:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Used an old non-self-darkening about #16 welding helmet, and it worked perfectly. That was about 10:15-10:30 PST here in CA.

Old 08-21-2017, 03:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Street lights and signs came on, saw a few stars and planets. Wasn't as dark as I thought it'd be though, being in the totality zone.
Still pretty darn cool.

Old 08-21-2017, 04:12 PM
Pontiac performance Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyakr View Post
"...shadows cast by the Sun durng the day move East to West:.."

I can't answer the question. But, in my mind, shadows move from West to East. Here in LA, when the sun is coming up in the East, your shadow will be cast toward the West. When the sun is going down in the West, your shadow will be cast toward the East.

Am I missing something here ?
No you are not confused. You almost have the explanation. The Eclipse on the ground is a shadow. In Astronomy it is called the "Flashlight Effect". It is the shadow that is moving faster West-to-East than the Earth surface is moving East-to-West.

Still a cool Astronomy phenomenon anyway you see it.

Old 08-21-2017, 04:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

nice pix James!

George

Old 08-21-2017, 05:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It was no big deal here in Delaware. Stayed normal from what I saw... no darkening of the sky. Only 80% coverage from what I was told.

Now.... I hope I'm still around in 2024 because on April 8th my home town of Massena, NY will experience a total eclipse. Come hell or high water I will be there. From what I can see... Buffalo, Watertown, Massena, and the area north including Plattsburg, NY will be in it's path.

Here's a link to past and future eclipses on Wikipedia. 2024 is in the last section on the page.... 2001–2050.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyakr View Post
I didn't notice as much difference as I remember from back in '79. Don't know if we had more coverage back then, or if I just knew more of what to expect this time, OR if my memory of it is a little fuzzy.

Anyhow, this time I got to look directly at the sun, while it was happening.

I did notice that the temp dropped back into the 80's, and I also noticed that my skin was no longer hot, like is gets this time of year, in LA, when the sun is shining bright. If you're not use to being out in the sun, it don't take long to get sunburn here. But, for about 20 minutes or so, it was very pleasant out in our back yard, with hardly a cloud anywhere.

It's all just a part of history now. Us older folks have seen quite a few historically significant events in our lifetime.

If ya had a silver suit to go with that helmet, you could be the brother of the alien from the movie "The day the earth stood still". A fellow PY'er has a pic in his avatar.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Eclipse Monster .jpg
Views:	23
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	461673  

3 Generations of "Beach Boys Racing" !

Everybody knows somthin.
Nobody knows everything !

1st time on a dragstrip, 1964. Flagstart !

"Thanks for the entertainment."

"Real Indians Don't Wear Bowties"
Old 08-21-2017, 07:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

HIS observation during todays eclipse;

No breeze.
No chirping birds before during or after.
"(" then a curves _ smile" then " )"
We could see many eclipse cresents on the cement ground for light passing throught the tree leaves (was like reminding me of "Obscured by clouds" album cover).
Surely saw the dark side of the moon.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This is the first time I've felt the obvious temperature drop. It was pretty cool and got fairly dark here in the Atlanta area. Watched with a welding glass.

Old 08-21-2017, 08:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's what we got in New Jersey...75% after taxes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3869a.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	461678  

Old 08-21-2017, 08:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Hendrickson View Post
Here's a question for you eclipse buffs:

If the Earth rotates so that the Sun rises in the East and sets in the West and therefore the shadows cast by the Sun durng the day move East to West:

Why is the Eclipse moving from West to East???
Bit of a bust near Jax, Fla. We saw it get to about 35%, then went behind the heavy cloud cover and didn't come out again until the moon was long gone. It was very cool while it lasted. My oldest near Pitts got some nice pix thru his t'scope. I think my 2nd son in SC got the best look. Other 2 in Neb & Boston missed it behind cloud cover from what I understand.

Craig, I'm sure better explanations can be found on-line.

But remember, the Sun is fixed in space. The Earth rotates on its axis spinning eastward and the Moon orbits the Earth. The Moon moves faster to the East in its orbit around the Earth than the Earth is rotating to the East in its rotation about its axis. If they were going the same speed, the Moon would be in geosynchronous orbit and its position to a point on the Earth would not change. And if the Moon was slower, the shadow progression would be reversed.

So the shadow the Moon is casting when it is eclipsing the Sun moves to the East because the Moon is going relatively faster in its orbit than the Earth is rotating on its axis.

That is my belief anyway.

Old 08-21-2017, 08:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by njsteve View Post
Here's what we got in New Jersey...75% after taxes.
LOL! I guess in Boston they got hit harder!

Old 08-21-2017, 09:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, after lookin at the eclipse maps from '79 & '84, I'm thinkin the one we remember was more likely the one in '84. The '79 map shows the center only clipped the Northwest corner of the country.

But, the '84 map shows the center passing thru near Baton Rouge, LA. We're less than 200 miles from BR. That's a lot closer than we were today, and WAY closer than we were in '79.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...1984May30A.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...1979Feb26T.png

And, TJ said she still had the same horse, in '84. We have no record of it. But, after lookin at the maps, I'm thinkin it's more likely that what we are remembering is from '84. Don't suppose it really makes much difference. But, I found it interesting, anyhow.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This is what it looked like photographed through 3 welding lenses. They claimed slightly above 90% coverage so there was plenty of daylight.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1422.jpg
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	461680   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1427.jpg
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	461681   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1445.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	461682  

Old 08-21-2017, 09:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Now did any one, Pay to see it, I saw on TV .people A lot of money to see it.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Me and the wifey sat out in our driveway with our glasses and watched it for about 20 minutes. Being in the 'total' zone it was pretty neat watching the moon gradually cover the moon and then it was completely covered for about 2 minutes here. The street lights came on and the stars came out. It wasn't pitch dark, but dark like with a full moon.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 08-21-2017, 11:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm working in the middle of downtown Seattle. I think we had something like 93% coverage here. Took a break at 10 and walked up the hill to the edge of the freeway where we could see the sun (too many tall buildings where I'm working).

I didn't have glasses but a guy shared his so my apprentice and I could each have a look.

The shadows the trees were casting looked really cool. Looking at it through a cell phone camera turned out to be a total bust.

The sunlight got pretty dim for awhile and then we walked back inside and went back to work.

Old 08-22-2017, 01:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
I'm working in the middle of downtown Seattle. I think we had something like 93% coverage here. Took a break at 10 and walked up the hill to the edge of the freeway where we could see the sun (too many tall buildings where I'm working).

I didn't have glasses but a guy shared his so my apprentice and I could each have a look.

The shadows the trees were casting looked really cool. Looking at it through a cell phone camera turned out to be a total bust.

The sunlight got pretty dim for awhile and then we walked back inside and went back to work.
95% coverage here in south central Indiana. The shadows of the trees were interesting, but I can't see the sun because of all the trees on our property and couldn't make it outside because I screwed up my right ankle on Sunday.

Dr. Thomas Sowell