Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 12-31-2016, 11:30 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Warrior intake.

I have a old 4150 style warrior intake. Can anyone tell me anything about these intakes. I have talked with two people that have used them in the past. One guy really liked , one guy hated it. So is it worth keeping and using? Or am I better off spending the money and getting a newer intake?

Old 12-31-2016, 11:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Years ago with lower flowing heads and a limited aftermarket they worked very well. Today it's maybe not as good of a option as others out there. Torker 2 / performer rpm and Victor filled a gap we had years ago. I personally like the old school stuff.

Old 12-31-2016, 11:47 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefbigb View Post
Years ago with lower flowing heads and a limited aftermarket they worked very well. Today it's maybe not as good of a option as others out there. Torker 2 / performer rpm and Victor filled a gap we had years ago. I personally like the old school stuff.
Well I will tell you this. It is the coolest looking intake for a Pontiac I have seen.

Old 12-31-2016, 12:21 PM
Boost Engineer

The Doug Nash pieces were cast up for the Herb Adams/Tom Nell racing Pontiac Engine Programs. Pontiac was out of racing but some employees still developed the parts for other racers. Doug Nash started out as a Skilled Trades Plumber at Ford in Dearborn Michigan but was a hard core racer of any brand therefore he was happy to work on the project with the Pontiac Racers. He told me he had a Ford Model Maker make the runner shapes based on the design from another individual. Doug had the intakes cast up initially for only the Pontiac guys and specifically for a 366 cid engine size.

This is why some guys have good luck with the intake on a 400 cid engine and the 455+ engine guys are not happy with it. A SMALL PLENUM VOLUME.

But the racers figured out how to add plenum volume to the intake on the bigger engines and make it work well. The Victor intakes would better out of the box vs the Doug Nash stuff on the larger engines.

So what do you want to do with your engine program? Engine size, etc?
Advice is not "Good Advice" without specific information.

Tom V.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 12-31-2016, 12:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
The Doug Nash pieces were cast up for the Herb Adams/Tom Nell racing Pontiac Engine Programs. Pontiac was out of racing but some employees still developed the parts for other racers. Doug Nash started out as a Skilled Trades Plumber at Ford in Dearborn Michigan but was a hard core racer of any brand therefore he was happy to work on the project with the Pontiac Racers. He told me he had a Ford Model Maker make the runner shapes based on the design from another individual. Doug had the intakes cast up initially for only the Pontiac guys and specifically for a 366 cid engine size.

This is why some guys have good luck with the intake on a 400 cid engine and the 455+ engine guys are not happy with it. A SMALL PLENUM VOLUME.

But the racers figured out how to add plenum volume to the intake on the bigger engines and make it work well. The Victor intakes would better out of the box vs the Doug Nash stuff on the larger engines.

So what do you want to do with your engine program? Engine size, etc?
Advice is not "Good Advice" without specific information.

Tom V.

Tom V.
Planning on building a 461. I have a set of ported 62 heads and a solid cam . Just wanting a nice bracket motor. Hoping to run 6.50 in the 1/8. Not looking to set the world on fire. Just something that runs good and can go have fun with.

I figured the plenum was on the small side. I thought it would really work better with spacers.

Old 12-31-2016, 01:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think in one of Pete McCarthy's early books he goes over dropping the plenum floor on those intakes to increase plenum for a 455.

Seems spacers would work also. The Holley Street Dominator (Tomahawk) also has a small plenum but lots of guys have used them om 455s with success. Dave Bisshop even modified them for Dominators. Friend had one a a 461 that made 642 HP and runs 10.50s in a 63 Tempest.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 12-31-2016, 04:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I dropped the floor on mine years ago. Approx, 1" more plenum plus spacer on top. I ran some 9.40's with RA4 Heads and 455 short block. Car was 3140lbs back then.

Old 12-31-2016, 05:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by potentpontiac View Post
I dropped the floor on mine years ago. Approx, 1" more plenum plus spacer on top. I ran some 9.40's with RA4 Heads and 455 short block. Car was 3140lbs back then.
So how do you drop the floor?

Old 12-31-2016, 05:30 PM
Boost Engineer

You cut the bottom of the intake plenum away. Then you add a spacer ring milled from 1" solid plate that matches the lower part of the plenum, and then if you are lucky when you removed the floor of the plenum you can trace a pattern of the spacer ring and weld a piece of aluminum on to it to seal it up. You can add the floor plate first and remachine the spacer ring top so that it is a perfect match for the intake, tack it in place, and then later slowly fill in the openings between the spacer ring and the original intake. Either leave the welds as finished or smooth them out a bit.

That is the "PRO" way you can cobble on a basic box extension a bunch of ways.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 12-31-2016, 05:42 PM

I used a Nash intake back in the mid 70's on a 461 and RA4 heads. It worked well but really liked the 2" carb spacer.

Old 12-31-2016, 05:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
You cut the bottom of the intake plenum away. Then you add a spacer ring milled from 1" solid plate that matches the lower part of the plenum, and then if you are lucky when you removed the floor of the plenum you can trace a pattern of the spacer ring and weld a piece of aluminum on to it to seal it up. You can add the floor plate first and remachine the spacer ring top so that it is a perfect match for the intake, tack it in place, and then later slowly fill in the openings between the spacer ring and the original intake. Either leave the welds as finished or smooth them out a bit.

That is the "PRO" way you can cobble on a basic box extension a bunch of ways.

Tom V.
Wouldn't be easier to cut the top off and raise it up?

Old 12-31-2016, 05:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Paw View Post
I used a Nash intake back in the mid 70's on a 461 and RA4 heads. It worked well but really liked the 2" carb spacer.
Yeah I was thinking it needed a 2" spacer

Old 12-31-2016, 07:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Tom is spot on. You cut the floor and plate it. Costly to do however. Adding spacer on top is fine, however it does not Improve the floor to roof height going into the runner. You can grind a certain amount out of the roof and floor, however It will still be relatively small.

Old 12-31-2016, 07:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by potentpontiac View Post
Tom is spot on. You cut the floor and plate it. Costly to do however. Adding spacer on top is fine, however it does not Improve the floor to roof height going into the runner. You can grind a certain amount out of the roof and floor, however It will still be relatively small.
Couldn't you cut the top off and add to the top? With the top off you could do some bleeding and you have more room to add volume to the plenum . Atleast in theory.

Old 12-31-2016, 08:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You can do that,however you would need to add weld on the runners transitioning into the top of the plenum. You need to have a nice transition into the port via the roof area.I am currently doing a Nash Intake. We added weld to the runners on the top and underneath to achieve more plenum. Hope this helps.

Old 12-31-2016, 08:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

[QUOTE=potentpontiac;5676175]You can do that,however you would need to add weld on the runners transitioning into the top of the plenum. You need to have a nice transition into the port via the roof area.I am currently doing a Nash Intake. We added weld to the runners on the top and underneath to achieve more plenum. Hope this helps.[/QUOTE

Well it does. I am going to try it the way it is right now and use spacers. When I have the time and money I may try doing these mods . This may sound silly. But the intake looks really cool and I kinda want to see it on the car. Sometimes vanity takes over !

Old 12-31-2016, 08:21 PM
Boost Engineer

If you had no hood clearance issues or it was a drag scoop deal then you could simply add BOLT-ON the 2" spacer, and you pick up what volume that spacer gives you. Maybe it works maybe it doesn't. Where the roof of the runner is makes a difference.

If you thought about adding a large box above the normal plenum, you can forget that deal as you just added a ton of plenum volume and killed the signal from the intake runner to the car booster. Look at a tunnel ram. Big plenum but the top of the runner is typically with-in a inch or two from the carb base. You are not sharing between a couple of carbs, you are just killing signal to the one carb.

The dropped floor adds an inch of volume to the plenum with no real issues. The 1" spacer adds an inch to the upper volume.

If you add all of the volume on top of the intake it is a crap shoot if the carb works good.

Have a great (pre New Year's) Evening.

Tom V.

Old 12-31-2016, 08:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yeah I didn't think about that Tom. Most intakes will raise the entry to the port up when they move the carb up higher .

Old 12-31-2016, 08:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I want to think I saw one on JB Clegg's SD455 Super Stock car at one time.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 12-31-2016, 08:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Phew, still glad i traded my nice Nash manifold for a 69 TA hood, yet that was so long ago.

Would be so tempted to hog and cut if had the Nash manifold now.