67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 12-22-2014, 12:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Everone has the free will to do whatever they want but if you want the feel and drive of a modern car buy a modern car.
All the modern system can be installed on a pontiac engine as with modern cylinder heads if you chose to go that route. No need to hack up a firewall or frame to install any of it.

Old 12-23-2014, 02:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Boring for me. When I go to the track or a cruise-in, I completely bypass cars like Foose does. They don't inspire me. It seems to be a style for 50-something California guys who split their spending money between bolt-ons for their cars, bolt-ons for the wife, Affliction gear, and embroidered jeans. I'm not 50-something yet, and I'm about as far west as I plan on going.

If I wanted to see new tech under the hood, I'd go to a dealership. I like seeing old tech, maybe with FI, or just nicely done with creature comforts, or just straight up old school and balls out.

Old 12-23-2014, 01:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68azbird View Post
Everone has the free will to do whatever they want but if you want the feel and drive of a modern car buy a modern car.
All the modern system can be installed on a pontiac engine as with modern cylinder heads if you chose to go that route. No need to hack up a firewall or frame to install any of it.
and if they want an Aluminum block, we even have an answer for that, haha

68 Firebird 400, YC 400, Hbeam rods, ported 670 heads (2.11i, 1.77e valves), 1.65 RRs, Torker 2 intake, Nodular Crank, Eaton Limited Slip, Richmond 3.55 gears, M-20 M4
97 Trans Am WS6, LT1, M6, FLP LTs, Cutouts, Flowmaster catback, Jet Airfoil, K&N air filter, MSD Opti and Coil
14 Fiat 500e 83kW motor, 24kWh lithium ion battery, +2 sized summer tires
Old 12-23-2014, 02:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yup
Im building this one to go in a bird.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	alblock.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	385326  

Old 12-24-2014, 12:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The '68 'Bird they Overhaulin' they did this week was no better. LS2 engine replaced the Pontiac engine.

As they're progressing, I wondered why they did the following:

*The owner and his dad had just done the seats, but they were replaced with Cobra seats.

*Welded shut the gas tank filler door and put the filler behind the license plate.

*Left off the Firebirds on the front fenders.

*Called the hood scoops functional---NOT!

*Modified the rear bumper corners for no reason I could see!

*Replaced nice Rally II wheels with FOOS' horrible monsters!

I think it would kill Skip Foos to put some decent wheels on any car he does. His wheels are absolutely horrible.

I think most on this board would agree with my rant, but obviously there are many that don't.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 12-31-2014, 04:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Boneske View Post
The '68 'Bird they Overhaulin' they did this week was no better. LS2 engine replaced the Pontiac engine.

As they're progressing, I wondered why they did the following:

*The owner and his dad had just done the seats, but they were replaced with Cobra seats.

*Welded shut the gas tank filler door and put the filler behind the license plate.

*Left off the Firebirds on the front fenders.

*Called the hood scoops functional---NOT!

*Modified the rear bumper corners for no reason I could see!

*Replaced nice Rally II wheels with FOOS' horrible monsters!

I think it would kill Skip Foos to put some decent wheels on any car he does. His wheels are absolutely horrible.

I think most on this board would agree with my rant, but obviously there are many that don't.
they did another one?

68 Firebird 400, YC 400, Hbeam rods, ported 670 heads (2.11i, 1.77e valves), 1.65 RRs, Torker 2 intake, Nodular Crank, Eaton Limited Slip, Richmond 3.55 gears, M-20 M4
97 Trans Am WS6, LT1, M6, FLP LTs, Cutouts, Flowmaster catback, Jet Airfoil, K&N air filter, MSD Opti and Coil
Old 12-31-2014, 05:03 PM

Wow, I didn't even know this was back on. Flipping by I did notice "Overhaulin" on the guide but I figured it was re-runs.

When it was on originally my wife asked me if I wanted her to call them and do my car. I quickly said "no". He's very talented but just not my thing.

Old 12-31-2014, 06:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Do we sound like the Ford flat head guys did when people started putting OHV engines in their cars? I don't like the new engines and wouldn't do it but time passes on. The V6 in my wife's minivan has as much HP as my 1963 Starchief did. It seems like Foose puts late model engines in everything he builds. Even a nice old Caddy they overhauled. If they did my GTO they would get it back if they tried some of the modifications that are common on the show. They always cut out the front plate mounting spot on the front bumper. In my state you are required to have a front plate.

Old 01-19-2015, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatracer1 View Post
Do we sound like the Ford flat head guys did when people started putting OHV engines in their cars? I don't like the new engines and wouldn't do it but time passes on. The V6 in my wife's minivan has as much HP as my 1963 Starchief did. It seems like Foose puts late model engines in everything he builds. Even a nice old Caddy they overhauled. If they did my GTO they would get it back if they tried some of the modifications that are common on the show. They always cut out the front plate mounting spot on the front bumper. In my state you are required to have a front plate.

The difference is you really can't make a flathead run, but Pontiac engines along with a good bit of other old school v8's can run.

Old 01-19-2015, 02:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Flatheads run really well--reliable and quiet. Some of us like to be different from the crowd and keep our Pontiac engines in our Pontiacs. Nothing wrong with that!

Foose can't stand leaving nice original wheel designs like Rally I or II. He owns a wheel company and pushes that product. They are horrible on old cars, even restomods. When they tackle an old Cadillac and put a "corporate V8" in it, it makes me want to scream at the TV. Same with Pontiacs, Olds, and Buicks.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 01-19-2015, 10:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatracer1 View Post
I'd love to have an LS3 in my 69. Don't get me wrong, I love the sound and feel of an old Pontiac, but it's expensive to top what one can do with a crate engine. I really don't see the hate for this route, because with the hood closed, it's the same car going down the road. A bone stock LS3 is 426 HP... technology has advanced since 1968.

I agree on the wheels. My favorite "restomod" change is the interior. Someone posted a 69 T/A restomod recently and the interior was beautiful. If you paint the car stock and use stock wheels, all these restomods can really look awesome and make the car more functional and reliable.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What a bunch of haters! I would take that car in a heartbeat. They had the show on again last night. There must be over $80,000 in parts on that car. I know LS isn't for everyone but no one has and issue with all after market parts in their motor. Seems a little hypocritical to me. No one has issues with aftermarket transmissions. No one has issues with aftermarket rear ends. Seems they put the best parts money could buy into this thing. The detroitspeed equipment is awsome to say the least.

I would certainly would do a few things different with the styling but overall if your into pro-touring cars this had all the bells and whistles you would want.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:10 PM

LOL....haters? Just because you prefer to do things differently doesn't make you a hater. It just means you prefer to do things differently.

I don't care at all for a modern interior in an old car. O.K. If you do, great. I can't imagine replacing cool old gauges with something with a fish on them but if you do, great.

And yes, some of the things I like now were basically what Foose is doing but it was done 50 years ago. Putting a 389 in a Model A is the same as putting a LS in an old Firebird. So no hate....... There is just a certain charm to old things. Some just take it further than others.

Old 01-20-2015, 01:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrt View Post
What a bunch of haters! I would take that car in a heartbeat. They had the show on again last night. There must be over $80,000 in parts on that car. I know LS isn't for everyone but no one has and issue with all after market parts in their motor. Seems a little hypocritical to me. No one has issues with aftermarket transmissions. No one has issues with aftermarket rear ends. Seems they put the best parts money could buy into this thing. The detroitspeed equipment is awsome to say the least.

I would certainly would do a few things different with the styling but overall if your into pro-touring cars this had all the bells and whistles you would want.
or factory parts from other cars that werent original to the car they are being installed in, haha