Old 10-09-2023, 11:07 PM

Default Anyone ever have 8 lug wheels widened?

Curious if anyone has ever had the factory 8 lug wheels widened to accommodate a larger tire? Thanks

Old 10-09-2023, 11:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Most go to 15 in wheels.Tom

Old 10-09-2023, 11:08 PM

Default Curious if anyone has ever had 8 lug wheels widened?

Wondering if anyone has done it or seen it done? Thanks

Old 10-10-2023, 08:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

With respect

Before you even start thinking about modifying the rims on that '63 you are looking at, I'd want to make darn sure the drums are ok. Just looking at that car, I KNOW the drums will be bad.

Its clearly been sitting there for years. Corrosion develops between the alloy drum and the iron liner. You can't just turn the drums and expect it to go away. You will need the drums re-lined. Expensive (but worthwhile) task.

Good luck with the purchase.

Old 10-10-2023, 04:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Widening them or modifying them from 14" to 15" isn't really any different than modifying regular steel wheels - the center is taken out and mounted inside a new rim, with the desired width, diameter and backspacing. There are a number of places around the country that can do the work. One place where they're available is BOP Engineering: https://www.bopengineering.com/pontiac_full_size.shtml

Old 10-11-2023, 09:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you buy the BOP 15" 8 lug rims check them carefully when you get them for paint quality and runout. I bought a set ?? ten years ago and paid extra for the silver argent powder coating. I had new tires mounted on them but never drove the car with them as it wasn't finished. I washed them and the tires once and used the normal commercial whitewall cleaner and it spotted the powder coat horribly and I couldn't get the spots out so had to mask off the tires and paint over the powder coat with silver argent paint. Then I changed direction on the car so had the tires removed and sold the rims to Steve Peluso. He kept them for about a year and then mounted tires on them and put them on a car and two of them I think it was had excessive runout so I refunded half of his money. All in all this was a bummer experience for me, and Steve, with BOP's 8 lug rims. To their credit they did fix the rims when Steve returned them to them. Just saying.

Old 10-14-2023, 08:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I believe BOP engineering has a vendor that will make 8-lug wheels any width you want within reason. 14-17". Probably cost less and be easier than going out on your own for this one. I have 15X7 on the front and 15X8 on the rear. Car came with them and they seem to be good quality.