Old 10-15-2001, 07:22 AM
Senior Chief

What is unique about the 68 radios?
There was a thread recently on the Pontiac Newsgroup and there were different opinions.
Like a lot of things, it appears that the 68 radios were specific to that year only.
Was it just an appearance difference or is there actually a physical size/mounting difference.
My 68 got "hacked" and has a crappy cd player in it. I've located a decent dash and would like to get an original radio. But I want to get the facts first. The car is not a show car, so I wouldn't care if the only difference between the years was the color of the pushbuttons or something.
Thanks!

Old 10-15-2001, 07:22 AM
Senior Chief

What is unique about the 68 radios?
There was a thread recently on the Pontiac Newsgroup and there were different opinions.
Like a lot of things, it appears that the 68 radios were specific to that year only.
Was it just an appearance difference or is there actually a physical size/mounting difference.
My 68 got "hacked" and has a crappy cd player in it. I've located a decent dash and would like to get an original radio. But I want to get the facts first. The car is not a show car, so I wouldn't care if the only difference between the years was the color of the pushbuttons or something.
Thanks!

Old 10-15-2001, 08:32 AM

mine didn't have one when i got mine. just a large opening that doesn't seem out of the norm. i'm going to install an aftermarket with cd player. car shows are a good place for ideas or to see what some of the originals looked like. remember fm and stereo were really not a factor then. am radios and 8 track players were more common to see.

Old 10-15-2001, 10:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The '68 GTO AM-FM stereo unit used a fluted style chrome button slightly different than the '67 big Pontiacs (have to look at my deep stock, tell the exact difference) I believe, the AM-FM stereo used the same front unchromed faceplate as a '68 LeMans-GTO AM. The original '68 AM-FM GTO multiplex stereo was a two piece affair, with the separate multiplex box mounted, I believe, above the glovebox.

The '68 GTO AM-FM multiplex stereo front end unit (for choice of better words) had a heat sink on the rear of the unit. The 67 & 68 big Pontiac AM-FM multiplex stereo's had a large heat sink which mounted on the side, instead of the back of the F/E unit.

AM-FM stereo's, have several '68 GTO & big car units to be checked out & will be for sale this winter. Currently looking for '69 AM reverb or AM-FM reverb for a GP & a 68 Firebird AM-FM.

[This message has been edited by 'ol Pinion head (edited 10-15-2001).]

Old 10-15-2001, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Additionally, the 68 GTO/LeMans unit has a red FM signal strength light while the big car radio has a blue signal strength light. The 68 am/fm MONO unit has the am/fm switch on the left bezel behind the volume knob instead of the pushbuttons.

Old 10-15-2001, 01:21 PM

Hope this helps

I guess.......(Red Green)
Old 10-15-2001, 06:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Buzzo,
The radio out of a '69 GTO/LeMans will work as well, as the '68 radio is exactly the same except for the part number.

Old 10-15-2001, 08:46 PM

Here's another picture of an original 68 radio, installed. Plus the 8-track option is shown.

Kurt

Sorry if the picture didn't pop up, this one is on geocities(Yahoo). Has anyone else had problems with them? I usually post from Homestead w/o problems.

Here's the link if anyone wants to see it...
http://www.geocities.com/kczimmy2001/Dsc00142.jpg

[This message has been edited by Kurt Zimmerman (edited 10-15-2001).]