Old 10-25-2001, 10:03 PM

Have a 68 GTO 400 motor and a 4 speed. Got a set of headers on it and a leak at the 8 cylinder. I have tried to tighten the bolts to no avail. The heads are late 67 vintage #17. What header gaskets do I need to order to do the job right the first time? Which headers would you put on it if I was to change them out?
I just had the motor and transmission out so I could get the transmission fixed and check the oil pump. It was acting like a tach 0-max out. I could not find any gaskets locally so I put a set of stock metal gaskets on it along with the used Mr.Gasket that was worn.
Oh well, it didn't work out
Thanks for your info
Neil in Tenn

[This message has been edited by Nomad68 (edited 11-13-2001).]

Old 10-25-2001, 10:03 PM

Have a 68 GTO 400 motor and a 4 speed. Got a set of headers on it and a leak at the 8 cylinder. I have tried to tighten the bolts to no avail. The heads are late 67 vintage #17. What header gaskets do I need to order to do the job right the first time? Which headers would you put on it if I was to change them out?
I just had the motor and transmission out so I could get the transmission fixed and check the oil pump. It was acting like a tach 0-max out. I could not find any gaskets locally so I put a set of stock metal gaskets on it along with the used Mr.Gasket that was worn.
Oh well, it didn't work out
Thanks for your info
Neil in Tenn

[This message has been edited by Nomad68 (edited 11-13-2001).]

Old 10-27-2001, 11:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow! Ditch the GTO letters/hood and change the primer color to PPG 2K beige. Add some Centerlines and you have my LeMans. I hope I didn't just insult ya [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
I'd cut the flange between that cylinder and the number six cylinder. Use some header gaskets and you should be good.
I find that if your headers don't smack the ground and the hardware is tight, they don't leak. My LeMans has a tendancy to hit the pass side header and goes through gaskets about every 6 months. I haven't changed the driver's side since installing it two years ago.
I've got FlowTechs on mine and the driver's side gasket is whatever cheap thing they sent with the headers.
I go to Pep Boys and buy the Mr. Gasket fiber style. They usually stock them.
If you look through Summit, Jegs, etc., they have quite a selection of gaskets available.
Good luck!

------------------
John

[This message has been edited by JC455 (edited 10-27-2001).]