Old 11-29-2001, 07:06 PM
Senior Chief

The dash pad on my 68 GTO is getting pretty cracked. I can either get one of those hard plastic dash "covers" that snap on over the original pad, or I can get a reproduction pad. Any advice either way?
I have heard both good and bad about both!
Anyone out there used either one of these options?
Thanks in advance!

Old 11-29-2001, 07:06 PM
Senior Chief

The dash pad on my 68 GTO is getting pretty cracked. I can either get one of those hard plastic dash "covers" that snap on over the original pad, or I can get a reproduction pad. Any advice either way?
I have heard both good and bad about both!
Anyone out there used either one of these options?
Thanks in advance!

Old 11-29-2001, 09:36 PM

Go to JUST DASHES in Californea.The only way to go.They do awesome work!!

Old 11-29-2001, 09:56 PM
Senior Chief

I have heard that Just Dashes charges like $500.00 to restore a dash!
I can buy the plastic cover for about $75.00, and I can get a new, reproduction Dash Pad from PY for about $200.00.
I have a lot to do on this car, and really don't want to spend an extra $300.00 if I don't have to!

Old 11-29-2001, 10:31 PM

Go with the repro from PY. You won't be totally happy with the cover, and will probably end up buying the pad later anyway.
Kurt

Old 11-29-2001, 11:06 PM

It also depends on how long you are keeping the car.I dont know about the repos.I plan on showing my car.Im going for a 100 point interior.I think in the long run Just Dashes is cheaper.Just my 2 cents.

Old 11-30-2001, 08:51 AM

Get the PY dash. I didn't install it yet but it looks okay to me. My original is not all that bad but with all the other money going to body and paint and my original interior looking decent the repo pad will do for a good while.

Old 11-30-2001, 09:13 AM
Senior Chief

Same here!
My interior will eventually get replaced, but a new paint job is the highest priority right now. WOW, prices on paint jobs have REALLY changed since I did my last car 12 years ago! $300.00 and a six pack don't get it anymore!
My car will probably always be a "driver", but I still want it to be as nice as possible.
The original dash only has one or two small cracks in it, but it's VERY brittle and cracks more every time that you touch it.
I'll go for the PY repro!

Old 12-01-2001, 12:21 AM
Administrator

All three options are legitimate IMO. The just dash pad will give you close to NOS look AND FIT. The repro non-AC pad will give you close to NOS look, but because of fiberglass core, you need to grind and shape fiberglass for best fit. Finally, even though I always cringed at the idea of a plastic cover on a pad, the quality is damn good once installed. Very unnoticeable until you tap on it. Great for a driver or for temporary use until you find the Holy Grail....an uncracked original!

Repro AC pads are a little funky around the outer vents. Originals had an imbedded clip that held the pad in place below the outer vents. Repro's do not have the clip. You'd have to glue it in place for a nicer fit.