Old 11-20-2017, 04:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge273 View Post
Getting a score of 997 out of 1000 is truly amazing at a very well Judged show! Each car Judged was given at least a 1 hour look over with intense scrutiny.

Easily a 1000 pointer except for loop in carpet, slight scratches in a very rare piece of rear glass with electric grid. And a artistic choice on rear.

If points were given for exceptional rarity with a full list of options it would be well beyond that point level!

As Chris stated it set the HO Formula on a higher level than ever before!

A truly well deserved set of awards by a dedicated team for Pontiac gurus!

Yeah Steve, the carpet you installed just before I bought the car cost us a point. I knew to replace the tractor battery you swapped in before MPD picked the car up , but I figured the carpet you installed was right and just freshened it with Rit Dye. It turns out the loop on the new carpet wasn’t the correct length loop for a ‘72. That’s easier to fix than a heated rear window with two small scratches, and cheaper than it was to buy an Antique Auto Battery.....

All in all, a great outcome. I’ve only been doing this for a 6 or 7 years and can’t believe how fortunate I have been to meet so many great people, and have so much damn fun.

Life isn’t just good. Life is great.

Old 11-20-2017, 04:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What??? It's been so long - I thought that was the carpet that was in the car when I bought it in Canada? If not I have a bone to pick with ACC for selling me the incorrect stuff. And that was my best John Deere tractor battery Dagnabbit! It should have been worth at least three extra points (better than the damn repro battery that I had in the car that wouldn't hold a charge for more than a day and crapped out the day before he picked it up).

Oh well. Glad to hear you made it home safely.

And as I said before I will be happy to refund all your money and take the car back as soon as you grow tired of it. :-)

Old 11-20-2017, 05:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Now, when you say all your money, do you really mean ALL of it?

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 11-20-2017, 05:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

All of whats left. ;-)

Old 11-21-2017, 04:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I talked with the ECS President at MACN. my wife bought a jar of Wheel Amor for her Solstice chrome wheels. He then told me about their custom "American made" Glass for our Firebirds, which includes the etchwork for originality. I Failed to ask about the electric grid Rear glass, but he did mention they make the rears too.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That would be a first. No one I know of offers the defroster embedded glass.

Old 11-21-2017, 01:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bob,
Congrats on a well-deserved Gold! Your car is truly amazing. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing you again and as you've said and others have echoed, it's not about the cars so much as it is about the friendships that the cars have forged. We could lose the cars but the friendships will remain. Great bunch of friends gathered to show off some great cars. Good times!

BJ

Old 11-21-2017, 02:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERULD View Post
Bob,
Congrats on a well-deserved Gold! Your car is truly amazing. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing you again and as you've said and others have echoed, it's not about the cars so much as it is about the friendships that the cars have forged. We could lose the cars but the friendships will remain. Great bunch of friends gathered to show off some great cars. Good times!

BJ
I say that all the time BJ...the cars are just a means of bringing like minded folks together. Was good seeing you again.

-Doug

Old 11-21-2017, 10:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

since we are all telling how thankful we are, (and at a perfect time of the year being thanksgiving) I will give my 2 cents worth.
for the last numerous years I have completely given up on attending car shows. got tired of only hearing people say whats wrong with someone elses car. (never ever heard one bad thing about anyones car at this show)
for the last few years boss has been relentless on hounding me to show up somewhere (Norwalk, ta nats and now mcacn). several others like alan reed have been on me to go to the ta nats. I always had a good excuse not to make it. so fast forward to this year, boss as usual is calling and texting several times a week telling me to come to Chicago, then he gets bentwheel bob involved. so now I am getting the onslaught of daily hammering.
so Monday evening I am talking to gary at level one restoration and have it on speaker mode and he also for the last couple of months has been calling and trying to bribe me into coming. he is telling me he really wants me to be there for the unveiling of my 69 ra4 convert I sold the brothers collection and he just restored (and of course for the last few months he has been sending me teaser pics of the progress).
well enter my wife into the picture. she has been a witness to all this onslaught for the last few months and then hearing my conversation with gary waits until I went to bed and then gets ahold of boss and the two of them conspire together and then pull bentwheel bob into it and she buys my airline tickets, boss agrees to be my personal tour guide and bentwheel bob transfers a room reservation into my name. so the next day I am at home sick in bed in the afternoon and get a text from my wife with a picture and I realize it is a picture of airline tickets bought with no refund.
at first I was like I'm not going but a couple of minutes into it I was on the phone thanking her and then on the phone with boss.
it turned out to be the best thing I have done in I don't know when. had a great time and was long overdue on meeting people I consider to be really good friends for decades, but had never met in person.
so if any of you are still reading this I would like to express my personal thanks to BOSS, BENTWHEEL, UNCLEJUDGE, BJ, REDGOAT, GARY AT LEVEL ONE and all the others who hung out and made a weekend I will remember for the rest of my life.

Old 11-22-2017, 04:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I am Glad you came!! My First time and I have to thank "Starlight Black" ( Des) for Talking me into and helping me get to MACN in a huge way.! I used the excuse I was there to see
"my parts" That had gone to Cars being restored, BUT... I met some of you for the first time, and I also gained some insight some of the cars past. BJ went out of his way to show me things and answer questions that would have taken a super long thread on this forum, about his Great Formula 455 WU3 car. Got the "inside" tour from Bob as well.
I even got "inside the box" time with the 1970 Formula and some detail pics.
I met many amazing people, willing to talk about cars, their cars, etc...You guys who brought cars, and others that came, Made my YEAR..
Speaking of Year, My pics have a mighty Glare from above lamps, I was wondering if there are enough Good pics to maybe try a 2018 Calendar called the "Fabulous Formulas"
Thoughts??
...................back to bed..
PS, I figured that Chris ( Boss) might have a stuffed "Drool Dog" to get pics with cars.. but, oh well LOL

Old 11-22-2017, 07:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Gary, after Steve passed it became abundantly clear that if either of us left this earth after being friends for over 30 years without meeting, it would have been a tragic loss. Thank you my friend, for making the effort and for coming to the show.

As Bob has said repeatedly, it is the friendships of like minded people that are what this hobby is about. When the thrill of the hunt is gone, the paint has dried, the cars are restored and the tire marks have been left on the pavement - it's what remains.

Sorry Bruce, no stuffed drool dog to pose with the cars - could have brought Santa but I think they would have made me buy him a ticket. Great seeing you again and I know it was no small effort for you to get there too!

Old 11-22-2017, 10:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

it just hit me that it is kinda weird that we finally meet in person at a show that is featuring a formula display seeing that is how we first became friends talking about the one of none ra4 formula.

insert twilight zone music in your head now.

Old 11-22-2017, 11:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This one...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0001.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	468349   Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0002.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	468350   Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0003.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	468351   Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0004.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	468352  

Old 11-22-2017, 02:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Chris,
I remember you talking about one day wanting to build a one of none 70 RAIV Formula, but I've never seen the car and info you posted above. Was that car the real deal? I thought they never made one?

BJ

Old 11-22-2017, 06:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERULD View Post
Chris,
I remember you talking about one day wanting to build a one of none 70 RAIV Formula, but I've never seen the car and info you posted above. Was that car the real deal? I thought they never made one?

BJ
Nope, made up car.

Old 11-23-2017, 09:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

22387 BJ - not a Formula or even an Esprit - Base bird built to go fast.

Almost wish I had bought it - wonder what ever happened to it.

Old 11-23-2017, 10:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, now that Bob jacked out that car. Prices rose to new levels....

Old 11-23-2017, 07:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

forgetting the cobbled engine parts, the steering wheel is a dead give away;
That is a base model only wheel!
Formula and Esprit both came with the same upgraded "deluxe" (three spoke) steering wheel.
As a matter of fact, aside from drive train, and hood, the only thing that differentiates a base from a Formula are:
Steering wheel (base vs deluxe)
Steel wheels (14x6 vs 14x7)

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 11-24-2017, 07:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That was 86 or maybe 87 - if I knew then what I know now....

Old 11-24-2017, 07:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Against the wind....