Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-14-2020, 02:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Carb or vacuum issue???

A little back story

I installed a brand new 468 in my 70 Judge this past spring. Stroked crank, HYD roller( old faithful), Iron heads(ported 13's) stock intake, Rochester Quadra jet (750cfm) ...Build is 9.5 CI and I run 91 to 93 octane gas. Timing is at 13 initial with 34 all in. I am running a ready to run MSD dizzy and I have about 15 inches of vacuum at idle (750 rpm) It has run flawlessly for 3 months until Tuesday when I decided to go for a ride after supper. BTW it is a 4 speed.

Started it up, (no issue as the car had run on Sunday) backed it out of the garage and headed out. Tried to kick off the choke (about 1000 rpm ) and no go. Took it for a jaunt on the highway up to 4000 rpm and came back after 10 minutes. Oil pressure and temps were normal. High idle remained.

Let the car cool down, pulled the ram air pan and air filter off. check all vacuum connections , all ok ....moved to tighten all four carb bolts to manifold. I cant discern any manifold leaks, no fuel weeping or leaking.

Then it got funny.....I then took a screw driver and tried to lower the idle on the carb.....Did Not Work. Set screw can go all the way in and out and the idle remains high. Unhooked the electrical line to the choke....Nothing. Car will start easily, runs fine and shuts off with no back fire. The only thing I have noticed is there is a stumble if you try to stab the accelerator whether on the peddle or from under the hood.

This carb is 3 years old and has never been an issue.....

Is it dirt or something else ? I am thinking I will take it off and blow it out with air and check the jets and rods....

Kinda weird