THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-12-2021, 11:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
You are so right and who couldn't see that coming?
I can tell you: bean counters and upper level managers who've never actually built a car before. All they know is "widgets!" and how to sell them. What worked at Black & Decker or Safeway Grocery or Microsoft *obviously* works for building cars. You just get contractors who you don't give any benefits or profit-sharing pay to do it for you! And you get to lay off chunks of expensive engineers and save all that money, your shareholders profit and are happy for you!

Nevermind that after 2-3 years of doing this and coasting on your previous designs you'll be in for a rude awakening once you can't make or design anything anymore, but the upper managers don't care because they'll have been promoted to a different division or left to go wreck another company.

Old 08-12-2021, 01:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The video about Rolls-Royce can be found here:

https://curious-droid.com/1462/rb-21...d-rolls-royce/

Old 08-16-2021, 08:42 AM
Senior Chief

Its no secret that my dream project is a Prius powered by a steam engine fueled by coal. Even to the point of taking a second Prius, cutting it in half and installing a trailer tongue, to act as the coal storage. I will need a tender willing to stand on the tongue and shovel coal into the car's steam engine while the car is in motion. The idea of a coal powered, pollution belching hybrid (it uses water AND coal, after all) is enough to keep me up at nights pondering all the details. If it comes to pass, it will be painted black with gold pinstriping, and carry the obligatory whistle I will sound at every intersection.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
Old 08-16-2021, 09:49 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ben- that is a wonderful assessment of how GM handed the rear wheel drive/performance market to FCA.

Old 08-16-2021, 12:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That would technically be a solar powered car ... coal is dead plants that formed their carbon by using the suns energy to convert CO2 from the atmosphere into cellulose and other products.