Old 12-04-2022, 03:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgto69 View Post
B-man... I have to say,... you are not correct. Max Performance is still making items. With my help, they just made the 1969-1970 & 1971-1972 Grand Prix vinyl top moldings and the 1970 Grand Prix fender plate.
You have to understand that every request they can't say YES to. If they make it, it has to be affordable for the hobbyist AND profitable for them. There were some projects that were duds... Now a days companies have to be careful of what they do. Every request is considered, so please don't think it's being ignored. Mike
Aluminum hoods. 65-67 and 68-70 GTO. 70-76 and 77-81 Trans Am. I doubt it would be quite as simple as slipping a different sheet into the pile, but they're already stamping steel ones. Ah-loo-min-E-um.

The Following User Says Thank You to 242177P For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2022, 03:53 PM

Quote:
B-man... I have to say,... you are not correct. Max Performance is still making items. With my help, they just made the 1969-1970 & 1971-1972 Grand Prix vinyl top moldings and the 1970 Grand Prix fender plate.
You have to understand that every request they can't say YES to. If they make it, it has to be affordable for the hobbyist AND profitable for them. There were some projects that were duds... Now a days companies have to be careful of what they do. Every request is considered, so please don't think it's being ignored. Mike
Glad my reply garnered some attention and confirmation that this thread is still actively monitored and requested items are still being considered.

The lack of interaction from those who are in charge of new product consideration is why I decided to post what I did, I hope this exchange opens the door to further attention and information sharing on new products.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2022, 04:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
These solenoids were made some years ago. I was the contact to the mfg who was a Mopar guy of all things. We got a batch of 100 of them in.. Several were not working properly, so I had to test every one of them. In the end, I had 70 were not working properly, and the mfg did not want to repair/replace them. He said it was a very limited production. So maybe I'll put a bug in the Prez's of Max Performance's ear this week... I still think I have an original one.. Mike
Thank you sir, that would be great. Not an emergency of course, but I bet it's one of the last missing pieces for a lot of folks.

Old 01-07-2023, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSoul_YoungBlood View Post
I have explored the idea of making repops of the lenses via additive manufacturing (basically a liquid acrylic 3d print) I work in that space and the margin of effort vs financial reward is pretty close. If there were enough interest it wouldn't be to difficult to print RH an LH repops of the side marker lenses as well as the front lower park lamp housings...those are even more difficult to find than the lenses. the park lamp housings can actually be printed with a high degree of strength and have a reflective coating applied cheaply. Trust me, I have a 70 lemans and through the years of it being disassembled and moved around they went missing, took me forever to find NOS parts only to hit a goose a year ago and really tear up the LH side, thankfully my front valance has never been a concern. Honestly...If i ever smashed up the front end beyond repair id would be much cheaper to put all of the repop GTO components on (including GTO fenders) than to ever try sourcing all the 70' parts.

I did source JUST NOS grills, valance, turn signal and side markers with housings. Already had hood. Would have been cheaper to clone over whole front end. Added it up both ways myself. Problem is… “it’s just a Lemans.” Hard loaded 1/1673 70 Sport Coupes ever built. I wasn’t about to give up that front end. So I spent more building “just a Lemans” than I would having “identified as” as GTO. I’d be happy to fly wherever and furnish NOS parts for the copy. If it could just be made to break even, keep existing cars in parts, and maybe save a Sport Coupe, T-37, GT-37 or someone’s dads “just a Lemans” from being cloned out of existence, I think that would be cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-08-2023, 11:40 PM
Pypes Staff - Tech

If there was a market for 1970 Lemans fenders, grills, header panel, clear parking lamp lenses, and side maker lenses, I would be all over that. I have several NOS fenders, a header panel, grills, lenses and housings. It's just hard to find that small group of people who would be willing to dish some money out... Mike

Old 03-08-2023, 05:17 PM

Thumbs up Individual Pieces From A Blue Orange Pink 1970 Judge Stripe Kit

I could really use a few individual pieces from a Blue Orange Pink Judge stripe kit.

I have a complete set of Red Yellow Black stripes, plus The Judge decals to sell/trade.

Perhaps a vendor or manufacturer could make the individual pieces available in the near future.

Thanks very much, in advance, for any consideration toward this matter.

MD

Old 03-08-2023, 05:58 PM
Senior Chief

1973 Firebird grill “Pontiac “ emblem

Old 06-24-2023, 10:29 PM

Default Rear Leaf Spring Rebound Clips

One of our PY members had reproduced rear leaf spring rebound clips some time ago but recently retired
It was a great quality product

There is no other source for these clips that come close to matching the originals

@Max Performance
This is a part that has a wide application (70-81 firebirds)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rc.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	614828  

Old 06-24-2023, 11:27 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
If anyone was listening they would have reproduced the quite simple idle solenoids by now that go for $250-700 used
And still cost tens of thousands in engineering for a limited run that won't cover costs and still sit on shelves for years. The guys would still complain it didn't match original and costs far more than it should. It often comes down to if it is a feasible business proposal, not just filling a need because it exists. And now we know why China exists.

Old 06-25-2023, 08:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor78 View Post
And still cost tens of thousands in engineering for a limited run that won't cover costs and still sit on shelves for years. The guys would still complain it didn't match original and costs far more than it should. It often comes down to if it is a feasible business proposal, not just filling a need because it exists. And now we know why China exists.
On the '68-72 Pontiac Q-jet Idle Stop Solenoids, there was a concern that reproduced them, first for 383-440 Mopar applications, then a near identical (if not identical) solenoid for Pontiacs. By having a wide usage of this part, the costs were spread to a larger audience & it was feasible to bring this part to market. Unfortunately, whatever entity actually mfg this reproduction solenoid didn't do a stellar job & in use, the repro idle stop solenoids quickly crapped out. Initially, Performance Years & Ames offered the report for sale, with eventually years after the merger, Ames no longer selling them. Am sticking with nice originals here on own manual trans Pontiacs that run this solenoid. Have sold to PY members quite a few nice used solenoids, as well as the early & late style brackets, but it has gotten to the point, that working on own cars, am determined to have at least a few spares.

Last edited by 'ol Pinion head; 06-25-2023 at 08:47 AM.
Old 06-26-2023, 12:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wish there was something at least close still available .. I'd do whatever is necessary to fab a bracket long as the throw and specs on the solenoid where the same.

Old 06-29-2023, 08:16 PM

I fortunatly found a pair but the 1965 quarter panel extensions (Taillight housings) are getting hard to find good ones.

Old 07-01-2023, 09:14 AM

Vacuum line harnesses for HVAC systems, with the transparent rubber female connector that the vacuum lines attach to, which then connects to the main rotary switch. These have never been reproduced, and duplicating the vacuum lines is difficult due to the unavailability of the thin plastic tubing and black rubber ends.

Old 07-15-2023, 10:54 AM

68-72 Bench seat plastic armrest bolt "finishing covers"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	finishing cover.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	616075  

Old 01-23-2024, 09:29 PM

Weird question, but with the intro of 3D scanning tools coming out. Couldn't we get a group together at Pontiac Nationals, etc to have people bring in rare items for scanning? It wouldn't be too much to get the scanned in models QC'd by someone with CAD experience and have 3D printed or molded for reproduction by companies, etc.

Old 01-24-2024, 03:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Forum members have gotten together and done this with a few small items. And you are correct, these days, if you have the CAD file, you can get most anything replicated for a reasonable cost assume it doesn't involve manufacturing techniques that are complex or no longer use.

Simple parts made of uniform metal, or plastic are typically doable, but combined items like for instance pillar post covers that are stamped metal, foam and skinned with vinyl it gets way more complicated for us DIY'ers to do.

Old 01-24-2024, 02:00 PM

Probably mentioned 10x on previous 500 pages, but the white crumbly plastic fillers that go between dashpad and A-pillar cover on 70-81 Firebirds. But would need a low mileage sample and retrieving it would likely destroy it. But perhaps be enough to get idea of size and shape to create something. #20105596.