Old 03-15-2023, 02:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The filter adapter got dropped in the install and now its cracked. I am gonna have to get another so I am not gonna make the car show

Old 03-15-2023, 02:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
The filter adapter got dropped in the install and now its cracked. I am gonna have to get another so I am not gonna make the car show
JB Weld. Don't worry about how it looks,

Old 03-15-2023, 02:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice, congrats!

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 03-15-2023, 02:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeighborsComplaint View Post
JB Weld. Don't worry about how it looks,
No and no.

Old 03-15-2023, 04:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here’s a crazy story about J&B Weld don’t laugh…LOL you know how the stock blocks have that loop casted in the back you know were bell housing bolts up. By The distributor. You can hook up a motor puller, to yank the motor out. on Opposite side of the distributor.

Well he dropped the block and it broke off, so for aesthetic reasons only I took J&B Weld and put it back on, so when I got motor done I told him twice DON’T hook the motor puller to that loop. Absolutely DON’T even made a note and taped it to the block.

Later I stop over to see the progress and guess what the chain and hook was hooked up the loop…he had just set the motor in car. I’m like holy CHIT !

I had run the motor and broke it in on my engine stand. Oh it gets even better, later that day he calls flipping out and says this motor is knocking!! So I go there fire it up and sure enough it’s rattling !! I ended up pulling intake and head off on passenger side, guess what I found ? A broken intake bolt, his buddy standing there and says, oh that’s were the missing intake bolt went.

This is really weird I only found a partial bolt, the head was missing, so just a precaution I pulled driver side head off, there was the head of the bolt. LOL luckily it did not damage to the head of valves. I’m guessing that it broke and sucked it from one side to the other. Still puzzled me to this day, but the motor been in Service for like 5 years with no issues. Crazy !

Old 03-18-2023, 01:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yup. Applied to a clean surface, JB weld is tough stuff.

I would have given it a try if making to that car show was a priority. Shanme to have to wait another year but it sounds like there were plenty of loose ends to wrap up ad not enough time.

I've missed the Indian Uprising show here 3 years in a row with my car getting "tweaked" at body shops and never getting done.

Old 03-18-2023, 03:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Is this car show worth having the adapter fail and spraying your engine and all points in sight with oil?

I would fix it properly.

Old 03-18-2023, 03:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah it sucks ! Either you don’t have the money or have the money but not the time or your waiting for month or 2 to get something done that you figure a couple of weeks.. we’ll maybe 3 weeks. I was shocked that JB Weld held against the weight of motor. Another crazy story. this was a while ago..when I finally had the money to get my block done, it sat at machine shop for 2 months finally I stop there, with a stick of chalk, And drew an outline around the block and walked out, they started laughing. Didn’t help was another month before it was done. It was first aftermarket Pontiac block they had seen, it was only supposed to get hone to fit the pistons, when it was finally done. He charged me for a full bore job, little did I know but they tested it and said it was better material then some of the Chevy aftermarket blocks. Said it had high nickel contact. I guess we all got stories. It was IA11 block and they had gone to the splayed main caps, but no doweled pins, that’s another story and 2 months later after finding a shop that could put in dowel pins and hone.

Old 03-18-2023, 04:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It’s already sprayed everywhere. Nothing mean green can’t take care of. Not a show car, I drive it.

Old 03-18-2023, 05:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Did you find another one ?

Old 03-22-2023, 06:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Back in business. Now all I gotta do is clean the oil spray

Old 03-25-2023, 11:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So I got the filter adapter on and it worked beautifully for about 15 minutes then it started to leak water. After thorough inspection I found that my brackets all mount to head bolts and when I loosened them they lost seal and are leaking ito the pan. My friendi gonna fix it Monday. I got all the gasket he will need and after than I am just gonna do easy stuff like cleaning up the wiring

Old 03-26-2023, 09:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Dave - can you elaborate? Are you talking about bolts that hold the head to the block or accessory brackets into the front of the head? If so, no water being sealed there. If the timing cover, the two large long bolts go into the block but the others are only water-pump to the cover and they are subject to leak but I’ve never experienced that when pulling a single bolt.

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project
Old 03-26-2023, 09:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
So I got the filter adapter on and it worked beautifully for about 15 minutes then it started to leak water. After thorough inspection I found that my brackets all mount to head bolts and when I loosened them they lost seal and are leaking ito the pan. My friendi gonna fix it Monday. I got all the gasket he will need and after than I am just gonna do easy stuff like cleaning up the wiring
sorry if im misunderstanding this... but how does an oil filter adapter leak water?

Old 03-26-2023, 09:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
sorry if im misunderstanding this... but how does an oil filter adapter leak water?
Not the filter adapter. Timing chain cover lost seal from removing bolts to install the brackets

Old 03-27-2023, 09:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Not the filter adapter. Timing chain cover lost seal from removing bolts to install the brackets
ok. the 1st sentence says the oil filter worked for about 15 minutes then leaked water. then the 2nd sentence says when you loosened "brackets" they lost seal & are leaking into the pan. no mention of the timing cover. grammar is important.

what bracket bolts caused the timing cover to loosen enough to leak water? if the gaskets were installed dry you should be able to just re tighten the bolts, no need to remove it & install new gaskets on a minor leak from loosened bolts if the gaskets are still in good shape. also, that is a case where a good gasket sealer/dressing may have prevented a leak from a few loose bolts.

Old 03-27-2023, 09:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok here is the skinny. The builder did not have the brackets to install at his shop so he just put temp bolts in to run it in. When I got home I took those bolts out to install the brackets and everything I took out leaked. I put thread sealant on them and put them back and saw no external leaks. Afte I inspected the front of the engine I noticed some bubbles coming out around the gasket at the block but I put it on the to fix list and moved on. The oil filter adapter sprayed oil everywhere on started so I got the replacement and it stopped that leak. I then noticed a water leak and started searching and couldn’t find it. I drained the oil and it was milk. Now at this point the engine other than on the engine stand it had not been run. After a walk around to check things I noticed water. Figured one of the hoses was leaking so I shut it off and checked everything again. I didn’t see anymore leaks so I fired it up and instantly milk. I called my machinist and I called Butler and they both said if the housing lost seal it would pour in the oil pan. I took it to my local Pontiac guru and he confirmed my suspicions. All is well and I get it back in the morning

Old 03-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Do you have an 11 or 8 bolt timing cover? Which bolts did you loosen? Any pics?

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project
Old 03-28-2023, 03:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well it gets worse, after being “fixed” it filled the crank case with oil again in just a few minutes. I have no idea how a crack either in the heads happened between the run stand or the car but it did. I’m done. I don’t have to feed it so it can just sit in the garage

Old 03-28-2023, 04:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. This hobby can be tough at times.