Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Lawnmower carb with no choke-WTF?

OK,I'm not a guru,but EVERY gas engine I own has a choke-lawnmower,lawn tractor,chain saw,weed wacker,pressure washer ,motor cycle,log splitter,snow blower,blah blah has one.

I've been working on a Lawn Boy push mower for a friend of the family. When I first got it I could not get it started even with starting fluid right in the cylinder. I then tried fresh gas,took carb apart and cleaned,some new carb gaskets,check float level,new plug,ect. and it now fires on the 1st pull every time,hot or cold,and sounds like it's running great.
Now the problem- I have to push the primer bulb every 5 seconds or so to keep it running for the 1st minute or 2 with a cold engine. After that it runs for hours,and sounds healthy. NO choke or throttle on this POS,just a "dead man switch" and a pull starter. I know the owner,a divorced lady,is not going to want to deal with this every time she uses it. I took this on trying to save her a few bucks as out local lawnmower repair shop is an over priced rip off.
Any ideas? Help! Thanks!

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The last 2 walk behind lawnmowers I've owned had no operator useable choke nor a throttle. Toro Personal Pace mowers, the 1st with a Briggs and the current one with a Honda.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default mower

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones View Post
The last 2 walk behind lawnmowers I've owned had no operator useable choke nor a throttle. Toro Personal Pace mowers, the 1st with a Briggs and the current one with a Honda.
x2...works great....just hit the bulb 2/3 times......let er rip, tater chip

Old 05-20-2015, 07:39 PM
Senior Chief

My Craftsman lawn mower has no throttle, no primer bulb and no choke. It starts up on the first pull everytime.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well,this one is new to me,I guess I have all old school crap. Still has me stumped.
I told her if nothing else,a new carb is less than $20,but there's nothing here to clean or rebuild on this one,there's nothing to it. If I can rebuild and dial in my Quadrajet I can fix this POS right?

Old 05-21-2015, 08:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67drake View Post
If I can rebuild and dial in my Quadrajet I can fix this POS right?
Lord, you would sure think so, but it looks like a WHOLE lot of engineers have been working on designing lawn equipment so that motor heads can not figure out how to work on them. I have been through this with my riding mower. I have even rebuilt old B&S motors, have all the ring compressors etc. for that. Now, the first thing I do is put on a new carb.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 05-21-2015, 09:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah,I mean does an engine run the same at 50 degrees as it does when it's 100 degrees outside? That's where you compensate with a choke. I suppose it's a lot CHEAPER to build a carb like this,but jeez,no choke,throttle,or air/fuel mixture adjustments? Just throw it out and buy a new one when it goes bad I guess. It just goes against my nature though as I always look to fix or rebuild before replacing it.
I gave the mower back to her last night. It starts on the 1st pull every time now,but as I said-it's real cold blooded. I wouldn't take any money. I just told her if it's too big of a PIA to use as is,I'll gladly replace the POS carb.

Old 05-21-2015, 05:45 PM

Is this a 2 cycle engine? Make sure that the oil/gas mixture ratio is correct. If you have too much oil, it will take a little time for it to run right after starting it. Once it gets warmed up it will run okay.

I love the smell of 2 stroke in the morning.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Its a California thing. Finding carbs with no adjustment. They want them running Lean.