Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 05-25-2015, 09:24 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default anyone have vibration in new silverado

Well after a different thread about warranty issues and dealer installed options, I have to ask if anyone has a shake or vibration in there new silverado.
Along with the accessories added where GM chrome wheels, so I thought it probably had to do with them, But I put a set of factory 18in wheels on it and it does the same thing.
Between 45-53 mph it has a shake that feels like a shutter in the whole truck. mostly feel it with foot slightly into pedal on an incline, but when you take your foot off the gas it doesn't really entirely go away. I will take it back to the dealer but I started reading about a problem like this that they don't know why it happens and some people had major work done with axles, differentials, driveshafts, etc. on 14-15 trucks.
I think buying this truck was a mistake, should have bought a Tundra and paid for extra gas.

Anyone know of an issue with these trucks with shakes, and vibrations ?? Thanks

Old 05-25-2015, 11:24 AM
Senior Chief

Good to know! I have been thinking of buying a truck. Tundra looks good to me now! Fred

Old 05-25-2015, 12:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No problems here. I have a 2014 1500 4wd & have 45k trouble free miles on it. Only other truck I would consider is a Ford if I wasn't a die hard Chevy truck fan. My last 2 trucks before this were: 2001 1500 4wd I put 150k on & then sold it to a friend who still uses it for a farm truck and a 2005 2500 4wd 6.0 gas w Allison trans & I used to pull heavy trailers with it & had 230k miles on it. Both were OUTSTANDING trucks. I was especially impressed with the 2005-it could take a beating with no problems on the trans even with towing and the original brakes lasted 150k. I had a 2500 Dodge before these that self destructed at 100k-it ate trans & brakes regularly-a major POS. My advice: stick with Chevy and BUY AMERICAN!!!!!!

Old 05-25-2015, 03:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

GM begins production of 2014 Silverado in Mexico; Flint production to begin later in 2013
http://gmauthority.com/blog/2014/02/...suvs-and-vans/
http://www.cheatsheet.com/automobile...tml/?a=viewall

Old 05-25-2015, 04:40 PM

Default Silverado vibration

We have seen several of these issues with the 2500HD and 3500HD Silverados. The problem has been the driveline angle of the driveshaft. These units are designed to carry weight and when lightly loaded, the drive angle is excessive. Add a load to the bed to bring the truck close to the rated GVW. If this corrects your problem, the drive angle is at fault. If you are going to use the truck lightly loaded, you can adjust the drive angle either by shimming the carrier bearing mount or installing caster shims on the rear axle to spring mounts to change pinion angle. Most of the newer trucks will not exhibit this problem, but we have seen several that do. From a fleet service standpoint, the Chevrolet Silverado has been a far superior unit in my opinion. Good luck, John

Old 05-26-2015, 10:06 PM

I suggest taking it to a dealership to diagnose. There could be a number of different causes including the driveline angle. It can go to any Chevrolet dealer for the work if you do not want to go to the selling dealer. I would schedule a time to have the service writer or technician ride with you to experience the condition and then have them drive the truck with you in it to make sure they can duplicate it. Sorry for the inconvenience but if the dealership is not able to fix the problem, let me know and I will see what I can do to help.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like you have typical AFM issues. Slight load, low speed equals trans shutter. Go on the siverado sierra forum and read all about it. AFM sucks!

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 05-27-2015, 07:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred jernejec View Post
Good to know! I have been thinking of buying a truck. Tundra looks good to me now! Fred
You won't be disappointed Fred - I'll have over 30k trouble free miles (many of them with the trailer attached) in my first year with mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4547 (1280x960).jpg
Views:	91
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	398843  

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 05-27-2015, 07:50 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That was my choice a white tundra, I stepped away because of gas mileage.
Now I would rather spend the money on gas.
I think this chevy is going to keep this sick feeling in my stomach for as long as I own it.

Anyone ever trade in a new vehicle with 1000 miles on it?
I would imagine I would get raked over the coals?
I think chevy tried to get too much from too little or something.
And GM support is a bunch of people who are paid to tell you.
"We understand your concern"
"We will take these comments very seriously"
" Your complaint has been documented"
"Have a nice day and we hope you enjoy your new truck"

Nice truck Boss,, Exactly what I wanted only with the different wheels they made back in 13

Old 06-02-2015, 02:51 AM
Senior Chief

The only issues I have with my 2015 2500HD is my stupid wife keeps on hitting other vehicles with it. It's caused $10k in damage to two other vehicles (1 is a new Tundra that lost it's rear bumper) and all I have to show for it is a dinged/scuffed bumper. Next month I'm sure I will have higher insurance premiums to show then

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS Jeff Gordon Edition
2017 Dodge Challenger SXT Black Top Edition
Old 06-05-2015, 01:22 AM
Senior Chief

Here's a thread for you to read.
http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topi...tion-problems/

I may have lucked out since I have the 17" tires and wheels.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1beautifuldaughter View Post
That was my choice a white tundra, I stepped away because of gas mileage.
Now I would rather spend the money on gas.
I think this chevy is going to keep this sick feeling in my stomach for as long as I own it.

Anyone ever trade in a new vehicle with 1000 miles on it?
I would imagine I would get raked over the coals?
I think chevy tried to get too much from too little or something.
And GM support is a bunch of people who are paid to tell you.
"We understand your concern"
"We will take these comments very seriously"
" Your complaint has been documented"
"Have a nice day and we hope you enjoy your new truck"

Nice truck Boss,, Exactly what I wanted only with the different wheels they made back in 13
Sell the Silverado and buy a 2013/2012 Tundra with the goodies that you want. There are Tundras out there that have low miles but you may have to drive to pick it up. Well worth the effort and the starter miles are just breaking them in as they last well into 300k miles.

That's what i would do and take it as a learning experience for buying that Chevy.

69 OHC ZH Sprint Hurst 3 Speed 3:55 (1 of 213)
99 Valkyrie 1520cc Flat 6 108hp/110tq - For Sale
http://sohcsix.yuku.com/forums/1/OHC-lounge
Wanted: 1969 OHC "H" Camshaft
Old 06-05-2015, 01:19 PM
Senior Chief

Default Vibration

I had a similar problem with my Ford F250 Diesel. The problem was my Michelin tires. I had around 50,000 miles on them and they looked evenly worn but they caused the same kind of violent vibration. The good news was new tires fixed the problem.

Dan

Old 06-05-2015, 05:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANTIP View Post
I had a similar problem with my Ford F250 Diesel. The problem was my Michelin tires. I had around 50,000 miles on them and they looked evenly worn but they caused the same kind of violent vibration. The good news was new tires fixed the problem.

Dan
Most of us do with 50k on our tires, but I don't think that's what they're talking about.

I had a problem that developed over time with my Tacoma. It would shudder at around 35-45 under low load, but the issue was it was already in overdrive (stupid computer fuel economy programming). When it did it, I would drop it out of OD into D and it would stop immediately. If I drove around in D with the OD off - I could go all day long without an issue, drop it into OD and on low loads, it would do it.....if I floored it - it would not, probably because it stayed in a lower gear through that range. Switch your OD off & try it.

Last edited by The Boss; 06-05-2015 at 05:29 PM.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am the polar opposite of an impulse buyer (the term "procrastinator" seems appropriate) when it comes to large purchases. Months before buying my last new truck I spent countless hours over many evenings researching forums to learn if it was in fact a good vehicle. I thought I knew what I wanted, but in the end I went with a different engine size, rear gear ratio and suspension option. What I learned helped me get something that has been extremely dependable for 180,000 miles, with fewer than 5 dealership visits and 1 recall.
My procrastination and research paid off. I like my Ford.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:37 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMD1969 View Post
Sell the Silverado and buy a 2013/2012 Tundra with the goodies that you want. There are Tundras out there that have low miles but you may have to drive to pick it up. Well worth the effort and the starter miles are just breaking them in as they last well into 300k miles.

That's what i would do and take it as a learning experience for buying that Chevy.
Just don't let my wife rub your Tundra with my Chevy. The rear bumper will fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
Most of us do with 50k on our tires, but I don't think that's what they're talking about.

I had a problem that developed over time with my Tacoma. It would shudder at around 35-45 under low load, but the issue was it was already in overdrive (stupid computer fuel economy programming). When it did it, I would drop it out of OD into D and it would stop immediately. If I drove around in D with the OD off - I could go all day long without an issue, drop it into OD and on low loads, it would do it.....if I floored it - it would not, probably because it stayed in a lower gear through that range. Switch your OD off & try it.
If you read the thread I posted, and others on the web, there are quite a few that have the vibration caused by the tires. A lot seem to be in the 20" range (what idiot thinks 20" P rated tires are good for a truck anyway?) and others have the issue caused by what JohnnyAction described. Others that haven't had a resolution have idiot dealers to contend with.

Old 06-06-2015, 06:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hall View Post
If you read the thread I posted, and others on the web, there are quite a few that have the vibration caused by the tires. A lot seem to be in the 20" range (what idiot thinks 20" P rated tires are good for a truck anyway?) and others have the issue caused by what JohnnyAction described. Others that haven't had a resolution have idiot dealers to contend with.
I did read them Bob - and they mostly were related to low mile tires - not tires with 50k miles on them - that was my point. The other point was the presence of the shake with a load on them compared to none without a load or trailer attached. That would seem to be less tire related & that is why I related my story of the quick shifting, gas saving transmissions. He may want to check that on his.

Old 06-06-2015, 08:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

AFM is probably making the issue , give it some time let things seat in . Disable Device is available .

Old 06-07-2015, 07:51 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I already put a different set of new factory wheels on it and it did the same thing. I do think it feels like its from the trans or main drive line like the Boss says. It does feel a bit like when a trans is not sure where it wants to be but hard to say. Best way to describe is that its similar to the flutter you get when you open both front windows, only nothing is open. Or I could sometimes compare it to driving on a cobblestone road in Queens.
I thought maybe the GM accessory wheels with lock nuts that weigh in at an ounce less than the other lugs might be the culprit but I'm not sure I felt much of a difference without them.
Why would GM balance your wheels your rotors and everything and then put a lug on each wheel thats a full ounce lighter?
Like Ive said before,, either I'm really smart ,, Or really stupid. I would prefer that remain a mystery.