Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 03-14-2005, 01:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is how she sits with Moog 5386 springs in the front (factory replacement) and the "firm" Moog 5385 in the back. I replaced the #5401 (factory replacement) springs with the firmer ones in the rear thinking I would gain an inch or two of lift but it really didn't seem to make a difference.

I now plan to install air shocks to gain a little more height.

Now the front seems too high to me because of the gap between the tire and wheelwell. What is the best way to handle this, smaller springs? which ones?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pass_Side_290K.jpg
Views:	1930
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	9579  

'69 GTO Ragtop, 455, RA, KRE SD Perf ported heads and "old Faithful" cam, Sean Murphy Q-Jet, Tremec 5spd, Moser Trutrac 3:73, Hotchkiss, Speedtech, Wilwood
'64 Lemans Convertible, Tremec TKO600
Old 03-14-2005, 02:48 PM

Marauder,
I had the same thing happen to me. I went to suspension shop and they sold me some cargo spring for the back they are REAL STIFF and they leveled it out. It still sits a little high in the front but I think it looks cool. My other car club members think it is supposed to be like that.

Old 03-14-2005, 09:29 PM
Pontiac Performance Author

To lower the front,reduce the free length of the spring 1/2 the distance you need to lower the car.FOR Instance:The car is two inches too high at the top of the wheel opening. Find a place on the spring,that when cut,will make the spring one inch shorter overall than before.

Old 03-14-2005, 10:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The 5386 spring has a .650 wire diameter, the free standing height is 17.07 and has a 336 psi rating...The next step up is the 5400 spring, it has a .660 wire diameter a 17.04 free standing height and is rated at 360 psi...the 5536 spring has a .690 wire diameter, the free standing height is 15.063 and has a 488 psi rating.

Old 03-14-2005, 10:40 PM
Senior Chief

Ken, you seem to know your springs. I think I remember you offering to help a guy out on here with his spring selection recently. I am doing a frame off on my 68 Cat Vert and want to lower it some front and rear. I think I would also like to go with a stiffer rate than stock. Any advice? I cant find aftermarket (lowering) springs for this car. Thanks.

Old 03-14-2005, 10:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This is what I know about the springs that go into a GTO hardtop and a 68 Tempest wagon. They use a .660 wire diameter. The difference in a A/C car is 1/2 inch taller free standing height. They make A body springs from about 15 inch to 18 inch free standing height. There are different wire diameter and spring rates. The same wire diameter in a shorter spring will have a higher PSI rating so they won't compress as much...the springs with the .690 wire diameter are big block springs, there may be 2 inches of differences in the free standing height but that does not mean it will drop you car a given amount because they have a larger wire diameter and are made for more weight...you want to limit the psi rating on the street to about 500 psi or less or it will be too stiff.

Old 03-14-2005, 10:56 PM
Senior Chief

bag it!
Attached Images
File Type: bmp white_pontiac.bmp (188.3 KB, 1749 views)

Old 03-14-2005, 11:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Moog #5450 has a .690 wire diameter, has a free standing height of 15.616 and has a 454 psi rating.

Old 03-15-2005, 10:32 AM

my 2 cents worth is DON'T go with air shocks.
do anything BUT THAT!!
air shocks suck!

just my opinion

Old 03-15-2005, 03:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Beamy45, that is great!!! Figures that you are out in Cali!

'69 GTO Ragtop, 455, RA, KRE SD Perf ported heads and "old Faithful" cam, Sean Murphy Q-Jet, Tremec 5spd, Moser Trutrac 3:73, Hotchkiss, Speedtech, Wilwood
Old 03-15-2005, 03:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

On the air shocks, I figured that you are OK unless you really have to put a lot of air in them. At least that's the way I remember it from when I had my first LeMans a number of years back.

With the firmer springs I'm hoping they won't need too much air. Any other reasons not to like air shocks?

After looking at Ken's post I'm putting together a table to try and make sense of it all! Those rear springs might go back and I'll purchase some firmer ones.

Thanks guys!

Old 03-15-2005, 04:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ken,
Have you got the specs on the 5401 and 5385 or is it available on a website somewhere? Still trying to make sense of this.

Old 03-15-2005, 06:04 PM

I ordered custom springs that were 1.5 inches taller than the stock height. The measurement is in ride height, not spring length. I got my rear springs from PST. They can custom wind springs + or - as much as 2 inches. They use standard spring rate. I got the front springs (std for AC) from Performance Years. The car sits level and I love the stance and ride height. Keep in mind that my car is a 67 GTO. Definately stay away from air shocks. They ride very harsh.

Old 03-15-2005, 06:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Are they custom winding them or using springs that are already avalable? LOL. Maybe they know something that you don't. They probably don't have a part number for a custom wound spring.

Old 03-15-2005, 06:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Marauder, I would try and cut a coil out of the front springs that you already have. They made the cars to sit higher in the front so when you use a stock replacement spring the same thing will happen. Once you change the stance in the front, the rear will also change. I don't know what springs are avalable for the rear, there is a chart somewhere. The rear springs that start with the letters CC are cargo coils or variable rate springs. They were not made when the A bodies were new, they showed up latter on. They are avalable for A body cars.

Old 03-15-2005, 07:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How do you cut a coil out without messing up the springs, the diameter tapers on each end?

Old 03-15-2005, 10:03 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Marauder:
On the air shocks, I figured that you are OK unless you really have to put a lot of air in them. At least that's the way I remember it from when I had my first LeMans a number of years back.

With the firmer springs I'm hoping they won't need too much air. Any other reasons not to like air shocks?

After looking at Ken's post I'm putting together a table to try and make sense of it all! Those rear springs might go back and I'll purchase some firmer ones.

Thanks guys! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

my first choice would be taller springs in the rear.

if the front's too high, trim them or get shorter springs.

the only air assist units i would use are bags. air shocks are a pretty poor product imo.

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 03-16-2005, 07:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I called PST and they said they can "custom engineer" springs to raise the car 1" or 2" above stock ride height. Lead time is 3-4 weeks and they are non-refundable. $175

Don't like the idea of not being able to send them back if the height is not right.

Old 03-16-2005, 10:18 AM

That is what I ordered. They are custom wound, so they are not returnable. Yes they are expensive, but i got exactly the ride height I wanted with no degredation in ride quality. They wound me springs that are +1.5 inches and that set my 67 exactly level with the new front springs. Keep in mind, if you go more than 1 inch up in ride height, you will probably need longer rear shocks. I used KYB gas adjusts and their tech support gave me a part number for the appropriate length.

Old 03-16-2005, 10:20 AM

By the way, PST told me 3-4 weeks and I got my custom springs in about 1 week. I think 3-4 weeks is to cover any manufacturing problems.