Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 12-19-2002, 11:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

#

Old 12-23-2002, 10:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ken K

I did the F-Body conversion on my 65 LeMans several years ago. The only problem I had was getting clearance between my headers and the upper control arms and getting the car alligned. I ended up installing Global West upper control arms to make it work. Of course I didn't keep my old 1965 parts. Now I race the car and want to do the S-10 conversion to save some weight. Can you tell me what parts I need to get from the S-10 for this conversion? Also since I didn't keep my old parts when I did the F-Body conversion what parts from my original car will I need to get? Also I want to get one of those light weight Aluminum master cylinders with the plastic resivour and convert the car to manual brakes. The car has power brakes currently. Can you tell me what donar car I need to rob one from? I appreciate any advice you can give me. Thanks [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Tim C

65 LeMans, 3700lb. all steel, full interior, D-ports and a flat tappet cam, 11.06@122

Old 12-23-2002, 10:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well Tim, I guess you need to ditch those GW upper control arms and go back to a good ol GM stamped steel upper control arm like the ones found on Chevelles, Cutlass, Skylark and of course a Tempest. Why would you search for a donar car for the master cylinder when you can buy one from Auto Zone or Checker for about $15.00. I am not sure which master cylinder to ask for. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Old 12-23-2002, 11:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Tim, I just happen to have a set of those original style GM upper control arms and if you twist my arm I might trade them for the GW upper control arms. You can make your search for the spindles, rotors and calipers a lot easier if you don't concentrate on just S10s. 79-87 GM G body cars use the same brakes and the wrecking yards are full of them. A $2.00 Harbor Freight pickle fork will do the trick but they won't go the distance if you plan on removing more than a few sets of spindles.

Old 12-23-2002, 03:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ken,

Thanks for the information on the S-10 conversion. I think I will hang on to the GW A-arms as I will be transferring the F-body parts and the GW A-arms to my 67 LeMans driver. What about the tie rods? Will I also need to use the 65 style tie rods?

Tim C

65 LeMans, 3700lb. all steel, full interior, D-ports and a flat tappet cam, 11.06@122

Old 12-23-2002, 03:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Everything you have on the F body spindle set up that is on you car already will work on the S10 spindle and brakes except for the upper GW control arms. I think the GW are about inch shorter than the 65 style upper control arms. The S10-G body brakes use the same tie rod ends and ball joints as the 2nd generation F body.

Old 12-27-2002, 10:55 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

KEN K -

I have started the S-10 route, acquiring from the backing plates outward, I however, did not know that 79-87 GM G-Body would work as well - just need to be certain of the wheel studs. A local yard (5 minute drive) has about 20 Monte Carlos and Cutlasses all lined up ready for the picking, had I known I would of went there instead of 1.5 hours out of my way. Live and learn.

O.P.H. has provided some guidance along the way, suggesting that accurate front-end alignment could be a problem. Have you encountered any problems with such using the S-10/G-Body spindles?

I have searched the Global West Web site for just the turned-down lower ball joints and have not been able to find them listed. Would you happen to have the Global West P/N for them?

A clarification... can I use a store-bought master cylinder and booster for a 79-87 GM G-Body on a '69 GTO? If not, what is suitable to use?

1969 GTO Restoration

Old 02-27-2003, 02:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just went to the parts store to get new rotors for my s10 disk brake changover.Found out my old ones were fron a '81 Cutlass,it had standard
threads,they were $32 apiece.Also the '78-'81
rotors are different than'82-'87,the '82-'87 hubs stick
out about 1/2 inch more.

Save the Blue Bug!

Old 03-03-2003, 10:59 AM
Senior Chief

hey my 64,

i,ve got a 64 elmans convert in lowell,ma...i've wrested with the conversion issue myself...let me know what you decide...i think i agree that if you can get a used set spindles then that is way to go...i run the orig spinners on 14x7 rims off 66-81 chevy...no problems...i'd like/need to keep spinners so a used set up is best...also note i believe you need to change power booster also, not just mast. cylinder...let me know how you make out...email....smasse64@yahoo.com good luck, steve

Old 03-22-2003, 03:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

#

Save the Blue Bug!