Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 09-12-2018, 05:57 PM
Senior Chief

Guys
I am reading 2 totally different issues.
Initially I was concerned about having to separate the body from the frame. I have been told in this thread that isn't necessary.
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...9&postcount=55
Also UMI said so.
The "rear" will be out because it is being replaced with the QP "rear" axle assembly.
The UMI parts just shipped, as have some of the QP parts, and the brakes have shipped too. The process at the shop will begin this coming week. I will follow up.

Old 09-13-2018, 07:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

you think its worth it to upgrade from stock braces to those

Old 09-13-2018, 10:02 PM
Senior Chief

Well...YEAH! Lol. Initially it was "intuition" or something that naturally came to mind. "Why install a custom, high performance, highly optioned rear axle assembly and NOT replace the stock suspension components that hold it in place and affect its performance?" Another reason for doing it now is everything being added or replaced is interconnected as a "system" and doing those upgrades later would be far less efficient than doing it now since all of those parts are co-located.
I actually read posts and saw pictures of A body GM cars that had engines with performance upgrades (like our 421) and the mounts and frame had been cracked, damaged, and mounts literally broken off.
Once and done! Do it right the first time, within whatever the budget will allow. If you have to cut corners, wait until you don't.

Old 09-13-2018, 10:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Smile

i have upgraded all rear suspension all with currie arms adjustable uppers currietrac lowers helwig rear sway bar and upper articulating bushings in the housing just never switched the braces i was worried that they would hit the mufflers as its pretty tight and low well i guess i'll buy them now and see if they fit (thanks again for spending my money) i was looking at these also are you supposed to load or adjust them oh and i installed my shock brace with everything in the car as well it was from abc performance

http://www.cachassisworks.com/p-1347...ort-brace.aspx

Last edited by imposter; 09-13-2018 at 10:35 PM.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:19 PM
Senior Chief

Spending your money...Lol.
Yeah, if it isn't my ideas that cost me money it's someone else's ideas that cost me money.
I think I read that they are adjustable, but UMI AND Quick Performance have been GREAT on tech support (and putting up with my emails and phone calls). I would ask the manufacturer. If I would not have gotten UMI and Quick Performance on a 3 way conference call I may have missed out on some opportunities. For example, Quick Performance is welding a multi location bracket on the rear axle housing so I can either use the stock lower lift bar (control arm) geometry or one of several locations that change the instant center. The UMI multi position bracket does not fit the QP rear end. Looks like Rochester carbs are going on tomorrow or over the weekend at the latest, and the 421GOAT goes to the shop on Tuesday.
Also thanks for "and i installed my shock brace with everything in the car as well"....
It's going to be out of my hands soon.
I am still going to have to scramble to get the driveshaft modded to fit.

Old 09-13-2018, 11:29 PM
Senior Chief

By the way, the brace kit you linked is $179
The UMI is $129 I guess I could save you some money.
I didn't buy UMI to be cheap.
At this point, with spending almost $40k on the purchase price of the GTO, $7k on the high performance rebuild of the 421, $740 on the Rochesters (I should have sent them to Pontiac Tripower. To be clear, All American Carburetors did what looks like a great job, but having the carbs rejetted/modified for the specific build parameters I included with the carbs was something I asked for, but didn't happen.) $800 on UMI parts, $4,300 on the rear axle assembly and brake system, a few dollars here and there doesn't matter-I like the UMI parts. Once I install the carbs I'll know better how AAC did, but the TRUTH will tell once I get the GTO on a chassis dyno and see the A/F ratio results.
Here's the UMI brace, red or black.
http://umiperformance.com/catalog/in...roducts_id=285

Old 09-13-2018, 11:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My issue was getting the bar to actually squeeze thru the gap between the trunk floor and the frame. A little rubber mallet work and that was accomplished but then I had no way to put my upper shock bolts in.

Old 09-14-2018, 12:13 AM
Senior Chief

Thanks 64speed
I will let the shop owner know it's a tight fit, and leave him with the phone number for UMI and Quick Performance.
Other than that and the driveshaft, which I would like to leave up to him to handle, it's going to be "How much do I owe you" and "Call me when it's ready"
I believe I could do all of this work myself, maybe bring in another set of hands, but the garage with a lift is only on paper, and even if I had it now, it would take me at least a week to get it done, or a few weekends and weeknights.
At least I have a shop I trust that I know for a FACT does good work. These people take cars apart to the point where they are unrecognizable and put them back together into really fine looking and running machines. They did the 4.10 ring and pinion and SureGrip clutch pack, bearings, etc in my 70 Roadrunner.

Old 09-15-2018, 06:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

the umi brace was unavailable so thats what i got will buy the braces just not sure what ones to buy

Old 09-15-2018, 09:07 PM
Senior Chief

Installed the restored/rebuilt Rochester 3 x 2bbl carbs today. So far, so good. A tiny C clip is missing for the front carb, and I misplaced the PCV valve, although I am getting a M/E Wagner PCV valve for her car because the one I got for my 440 6bbl has been a game changer it's so nice a PCV valve!
I have to say I am very happy so far with the work All American Carburetors did. Like I said before, the truth of performance will be told once I put the GTO and its performance built 421 on a chassis dyno and check the A/F ratio through various loads, engine speeds, and WOT runs, but it's likely that the only change may be jetting if that. Right now it has 62s in the center carb and 68s in both outboard carbs.

Old 09-19-2018, 01:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I installed that UMI brace with everything in the car. I set it in place, made note of the hole positions on the slotted holes and welded flanged lock style nuts to the back, slide a bolt through your shock and tighten it down. Done deal. My car is a 67 fwiw.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

-1967 GTO HO Restomod. PKMM 433ci, SilverSport T56 Magnum 6spd, Moser 9", SC&C and a bunch of other pro touring goodies

- Build Thread
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...615847&page=23
Old 09-19-2018, 04:50 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicks67GTO View Post
I installed that UMI brace with everything in the car. I set it in place, made note of the hole positions on the slotted holes and welded flanged lock style nuts to the back, slide a bolt through your shock and tighten it down. Done deal. My car is a 67 fwiw.
THANKS!
That is something I can pass along to the shop if need be.
I see your picture of the car running a road course, THAT is what I would set up the 65 for if it was mine instead of my wife's car, and keep the Roadrunner for the 1/4 mile (although some people do handling and lowering of Roadrunners) At 3,500 lbs, the GTO is a natural!

Old 09-22-2018, 12:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Let me know if you succeed in getting the shock tower brace mounted

Old 09-22-2018, 04:56 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
Let me know if you succeed in getting the shock tower brace mounted
Will do!