Old 01-20-2009, 10:58 AM

Default Washer Bottle Application

I need a windshield washer bottle for my 1971 Formula. There is a bracket up front on the left inner fender by the battery. The holes in the bracket are about 4 1/2 inches apart. One catalog lists a bottle for a 1970 car. Another vendor lists one which fits 1970-1975 models.What's the deal on these washer bottles (I have the original cap and hoses). Thanks for any help.

Old 01-20-2009, 02:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I purchased the washer jar for my '72 Formula from PY. PY Firebird catalog lists it for '70-'74 models, and it's perfect.

PY part number RPE220. $29.00 and is supllied with the cap and filter.

2008 GMC Sierra Denali 2WD Crew, L92 6L80E, Silver w/ Ebony guts, 14.26 @ 98
Old 01-20-2009, 03:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They were still available through GM as of last year or so. When viewing them from the front, the original early ones had square bottom (with rounded edges). The ones that you get now look and fit identical except one of the bottom corners is cut off at a 45 degree angle. I think the mid/late '70s cars needed it to be cut to make room for something so that is the way GM has been making them since. The ones you are looking at are probably the same, GM. I have not seen a repop of the correct early ones anywhere.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:53 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

GM part #3990892

Old 01-21-2009, 09:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68bird400HO View Post
They were still available through GM as of last year or so. When viewing them from the front, the original early ones had square bottom (with rounded edges). The ones that you get now look and fit identical except one of the bottom corners is cut off at a 45 degree angle. I think the mid/late '70s cars needed it to be cut to make room for something so that is the way GM has been making them since. The ones you are looking at are probably the same, GM. I have not seen a repop of the correct early ones anywhere.
68birdho is correct. the original 1970/71 washer bottles are different from the ones currently sold as GM replacements. they have a different part number also. i believe they changed the corner because the original design was interfeering with the power steering hose. i have an original "square" bottle and will post pictures later today, plus show the different part numbers(i might be wrong on part numbers being different, but memory tells me the square is a different number) Every one uses the later ones and no one knows the difference, but truth be told there is a difference.. will post pics later..