Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:17 PM

Default Pontiac part numbers and codes

Can any of you experts help me locate books I need to properly identify parts and proceed with the restoration of my 70 judge Conv.

I recently purchased a restoration guide but it doesnt list all the needed part numbers.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Search for Eric White on PY.
He has a book on Restoration, I believe.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 10-12-2009, 02:16 PM
Administrator

I think this is the book JohnTA is refering to:

http://www.pysales.com/iwwida.pvx?;i...0%201?comp=py1

PY's part number for this book is RPL24

Steve

Old 10-12-2009, 02:40 PM

Steve didn't mention it, but if you become a PY member you'll have access to their online parts catalog. It covers all Pontiacs, not just GTOs, but it's pretty handy to have in addition to the restoration guide. There also was a master parts catalog that was published every so often by the factory - I believe there was a 1970 issue; you can search for an original catalog for sale, and I think someone sells reprints of them as well.

Old 10-12-2009, 02:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool, Steve.

I didn't know PY handles it.

Thanks.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 10-12-2009, 04:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A good resource is the 1970 LeMans/GTO/Grand Prix Assembly Manual, PY PN RPL112 ($22).

What numbers are you searching for?

Old 10-12-2009, 04:35 PM

Thank you very much for the info. I will purchase both books mentioned. please let me know if there are any others that would be useful.

I have many parts in the garage in which I need to identify properly not to mention making sure some of the components currently on the car are original. I think I have most of the ram air parts (some of which from py members) but not positive I have them all. when I have the YZ code engine built, I would like to be certain.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think you have to subscribe to PY Journal to get into the PY part numbers. $10 a year

Old 10-12-2009, 06:16 PM
Administrator

Stuart and hobbygto65 mentioned the PY Parts Lookup database. It's a perk you get when you become a Pontiac Journal subscriber. It's basically a database you can enter GM part numbers into and get their applications. If you have a GM# and want to know the application, it can be really convenient.
Here's a link describing how it works:
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...35#post2599935

And here is how to subscribe to the Pontiac Journal:
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...bscription.php

Steve

Old 10-12-2009, 07:30 PM

Thank you very much Steve. I just subscribed to the journal. I never realized it was an available option. I'm sure it will come in handy as I have a ton of parts.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Pontiac Master Parts Catalog (mentioned by Stuart) is probably the best, worst, most expensive, and least understood book available to enthusiasts.

This book is a book of parts numbers, and illustrations, originally designed to allow Pontiac parts departments at the dealership to sell parts.

These were printed from 1 to 3 times each year depending on the year.

The information contained is priceless (opinion); but one needs to understand the original function for the book, and procede accordingly.

THE KEY TO UNDERSTANDING IS BE REALIZE THAT THE PARTS LISTED ARE THOSE PARTS AVAILABLE AT THE TIME OF PRINTING, NOT NECESSARILY THE ORIGINAL PARTS!

Thus a book printed in 1972 might show a different part number for a specific part for a 1969 car than the book printed in 1969 IF THE ORIGINAL PART WAS SUPERCEDED.

Most of the books printed between the years of 1964 and 1974 would be from 3 to 6 inches thick; and generally have decent, although not necessarily original, parts coverage for about 7 years prior to printing. More common parts may have 15 to 20 years coverage.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.