Old 01-19-2022, 07:58 PM

Default 1970 GTO Judge Rear Defog / Speaker Questions **70 GTO OWNERS**

Hoping some can help with a few questions. It appears in several Pontiac Parts Books that there may have been 2 different style Rear Defogger setups used in this model year.
It looks like there is the system that bolts to the rear seat divider with the plastic 90 deg duct and the long rectangular grill right behind the seat
OR
there may be the more common style style that mounts under the package tray with the rectangular grill mounted in center?? grill with NO cut of corner??
WHAT DO YOU HAVE OUT THERE and what is the build date of your car...
Was this a change from early to late?
To add to the questions, my car has an 8 track witch automatically gave it the single rear speaker...If you had rear Defog with the package tray mount does this put the speaker off to the passenger side?
If the car had the Seat Divider mounted Motor does the speaker go back in the center?
I know this is a lengthy question but i know there are some knowledgable 70 people out there so i am hoping to get some good info.
My Car is a 10D built RAIV Judge...
Thanks in advance for any help...

Old 01-24-2022, 06:24 PM

I can't help with any definitive answers for you. (but thought I'd make a post to spur on others)

Picture attached of the version I'm using in my fall of 69 built 70 GTO.
The motor is dated 7 69. I have another one dated 1 70 out of a GTO.

When installed I would not expect this style to interfere with speaker mounting.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	70defog.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	582611  

Old 01-25-2022, 12:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The rear speaker was always mounted on the passenger side for 68-72 A bodies.

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 01-25-2022, 10:31 AM

Thank you Comanche...A couple of thoughts...If you look on The Yenko (SCR) forums i posted the same question and came up with some decent info...
There is an original 09/69 built 70 GTO that had the SEAT DIVIDER mounted Motor AND then an 11D built car with the Package Tray Mounted system...Like you have....I have however seen someplace that the Vent Grill should be rectangle with NO curved corner...I was under the impression that that style grill was used when motor was offset to one side OR used in an F Body (70 up)...because of the smaller area back there...
Sketchy on those details but I do have the 2 grill part Numbers that 70 used out of 1970 parts book...
Grill Pt #1386075 (package tray mounted motor)
Grill Pt #3899746 (seat back mounted motor)
Since you have your system off the car it would be interesting to see the part number on back of grill...
I may be wrong on this being perfectly rectangular as opposed to having one corner rounded...
What number is on your Grill?
So far it seems that PMD changed from Seat back to Pkg Tray style somewhere before November 30th , 1969
My car is 10D so i am leaning towards it being the Seat Back style for mine...
REMEMBER...1970 was also the first year that the ELECTRIC window grid DeFROSTER became available on the GTO....
Thanks you the input...
Really need to hear from other 70 GTO owners out there!!!!
RA

Old 01-29-2022, 02:34 PM

Hi
Pics attached of both versions of grills.
Neither have a part number on the underside. (I did check carefully)
Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grills1.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	583140   Click image for larger version

Name:	grills2.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	583141  

Old 01-29-2022, 06:30 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamAirBirds View Post
REMEMBER...1970 was also the first year that the ELECTRIC window grid DeFROSTER became available on the GTO....
My 10E Oshawa built Judge has the C49 electric rear window "defogger" so that does not help but the unaltered metal has the speaker on the passenger side as OG68 noted.

My 8D non Judge has a centre mounted rectangular grill under the package tray.