Old 01-19-2022, 02:39 PM

Default Radiator support bushing sequence for 1976-1981

Want to replace my rad support bushings, but I'm having trouble figuring out exactly what sequence they're installed in. The service manual shows the diagram, but I'm not clear on which direction the upper and/or lower bushing goes, and the use of what shims and washers where.

This is the kind of radiator support bushing set I got: https://www.classicindustries.com/product/fp284.html

Basically repros of the factory style.

If anybody is using the same bushings and successfully installed them, can I have some pics? Maybe a shot of the upper bushing mounted on the support where the charcoal canister is, and then try to snap a shot of the lower bushing between the support and subframe?

Thanks!

Old 01-20-2022, 11:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

dumb question, is your core support still installed? if so just copy how they are... if not there are lots of sources for info on this from google images to youtube to instructions for poly bushings that should install the same way as factory. heres a good youtube vid showing the install & many others available related to it. hope that helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ_mO5C7Gvk

https://www.energysuspensionparts.co...sion/17246.pdf

Old 01-21-2022, 10:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
dumb question, is your core support still installed? if so just copy how they are... if not there are lots of sources for info on this from google images to youtube to instructions for poly bushings that should install the same way as factory. heres a good youtube vid showing the install & many others available related to it. hope that helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ_mO5C7Gvk

https://www.energysuspensionparts.co...sion/17246.pdf
These seem to suggest different configurations. Whereas the Energy diagram shows the lower bushing sandwiched between the core support and top of the frame, the video shows the core support set directly on the frame and the lower bushing under the top of the frame. In the process of doing this with my son’s 79, and still don’t know for sure what’s correct. My 70 is different, and that added to our confusion.

Old 01-21-2022, 10:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator67 View Post
These seem to suggest different configurations. Whereas the Energy diagram shows the lower bushing sandwiched between the core support and top of the frame, the video shows the core support set directly on the frame and the lower bushing under the top of the frame. In the process of doing this with my son’s 79, and still don’t know for sure what’s correct. My 70 is different, and that added to our confusion.
sorry i didnt watch the entire vid to see how they did it but there are more vids related to installing these bushings & probably pics & instructions on google & other forums.

i used the energy suspension on 3 of my cars & did it exactly how the energy diagram shows. i can try to get pics of mine but cars are in winter storage now & not easy to show it all with everything assembled & installed. im sure some others on here can show pics of theirs.

Old 01-21-2022, 10:44 AM
Senior Chief

the youtuber will find he has a serious alignment issue.....like that...lol
there is NO METAL ON METAL between structures.
so take the bolt and washer and "short" (one without the steel tube) drop on rad support (from top) then BETWEEN rad support and frame you install the rubber bushing WITH THE TUBE pointing UP. washer and nut go inside frame. This completely isolates the rad support from the frame simply being held in place by the resistance of the rubber. (This is why we use SOLID body mount bushings to attach eh frame to increase rigidity)

Old 01-21-2022, 10:51 AM
Senior Chief

https://nastyz28.com/threads/body-bu...h-tips.251412/

Old 01-23-2022, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Fbird View Post
the youtuber will find he has a serious alignment issue.....like that...lol
there is NO METAL ON METAL between structures.
so take the bolt and washer and "short" (one without the steel tube) drop on rad support (from top) then BETWEEN rad support and frame you install the rubber bushing WITH THE TUBE pointing UP. washer and nut go inside frame. This completely isolates the rad support from the frame simply being held in place by the resistance of the rubber. (This is why we use SOLID body mount bushings to attach eh frame to increase rigidity)
Yep, this is what I've finally gathered after much research.

The smaller "upper" bushing is impregnanted with a metal base already in the rubber just like from the factory. The side with the metal base points UP, while the other open side goes down against the surface of the radiator support and basically slips over the lower "big" bushing that is installed BETWEEN the support and subframe with the tube end of the metal insert pointing up like you mention, while the broad flat part of the metal insert faces down and ultimately rests against the top of the subframe - the bolt is inserted through the upper bushing and will rest against the metal part of the upper bushing (and a shim washer if need be), and then fastened with a nut and lock washer at the bottom. Kind of hard to explain the sequence that way, but I understand it now.

Thanks, everyone.

And yeah, I watched that youtube video a lot and couldn't make sense of it - he has it backwards. That smaller bushing is what should be on top, while the bigger one is the one that should be between the support and subframe, with the broad flat part of the cadmium insert facing DOWN against the top of the subframe. The bushing kit that's on the car now is the generic OER one that incorporates a much thinner lower bushing (half the thickness of the factory ones/the ones I bought), so I may end up just returning these and going with the OER ones to keep things aligned right. I don't want to have to refanagle all my front sheet metal just to accommodate these thicker bushings.