Old 04-21-2006, 07:19 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Can you put a wax on them to help them from rusting out so fast?

Old 04-21-2006, 09:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I keep mine clean. No rust or peeling.
Never had a balance issue either.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones
I keep mine clean. No rust or peeling.
Never had a balance issue either.
What's the secret? I've had these wheels installed and balanced in five different states so I can't say ALL the shops were incompetent, can I? Maybe they were but apparently your shop knows the secret to balancing these wheels. Care to share?

PS, I was military, thus the living in five different states.

Old 04-22-2006, 08:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My shop is the Ford dealer down the street, with one of the computer brain balancing machines. They discovered that I had a tire (Radial T/A) that was borderline unbalanceable and indexed it on the wheel in such a way that it's all as smooth as silk and has been for years. I run these on the freeway fairly frequently and can tell you it's all as smooth as silk. Lucky? Dunno. Happy? Yessir, I get compliments on the wheels every time I drive it. One thing I noticed on the Torque Thrust's. Every other car at the last cruise-in I went to had a set on it.

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:02 PM

Has anyone actually seen the aluminum version of the SS wheels? I will be buying wheels in the future and I will be buying cragar SS wheels. I am just wondering if the aluminum ones look exactly like the steel ones. It is hard to tell from a tiny picture in a catalog.

Old 03-02-2007, 08:19 PM

Are they still in business? You get what you pay for....

R.P.

Old 03-02-2007, 08:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought a pair of Cragars off ebay. 15 x 10 , only paid $60 for the pair. I went to pick them up, to my surprise the wheels were bought over 20 years ago and had tires on them once but never mounted on a car, wrong bolt pattern. Practicly nos, they are perfect.
Are the ones being made now of a lesser quality than the older wheels? Btw they are 5 1/2" bolt pattern -not unilugs , perfect since i'm using a narrowed 9" with the truck bolt pattern. I have unilugs on the front for the 5" bolt pattern, I hope it helps to have the largest bolt pattern (4 1/2"-5" wheels) instead of being in the middle with the 4 3/4" like most gm's to center on the hub.

Old 03-02-2007, 09:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mine are still perfect. I swapped the back 2, 14x7's about a year ago for a pair of 15x8's. I guess I was lucky again. They work great also. I guess I paid enough Roger.............

Old 03-02-2007, 10:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Im ready to get one or other for my 4th gen Bird.
Im still leaning towards the SS vs the TT2 or TTc.
The new aluminum ones are only in 16 and 17 inch.
Is summit or Jegs the cheapest place to get these
or is there some plce else cheaper?
See my post on this from last week.

Old 03-05-2007, 10:26 AM

Cragar's website lists the aluminum SS in 15" but they only have a picture of one of the larger diameter (20"?) ones.

Old 03-05-2007, 09:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

whats the website?
I signed up for a catalog to be sent maybe in the next week or so Ill see what they are offering

Old 03-05-2007, 09:36 PM

http://www.cragar.com/Wheels.asp

Old 03-07-2007, 04:50 PM

Here's a wild idea...someone let me know how feasable or cost effective this would be...do some hunting on ebay for the size Cragars you want, no matter what the condition, as long as you can score them cheap. Then, have them blasted and chrome powdercoated. Anyone ever done that? How would that look/work and how much would it cost?

Tommy

Old 03-08-2007, 04:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyShameless1978
Here's a wild idea...someone let me know how feasable or cost effective this would be...do some hunting on ebay for the size Cragars you want, no matter what the condition, as long as you can score them cheap. Then, have them blasted and chrome powdercoated. Anyone ever done that? How would that look/work and how much would it cost?

Tommy
I would think with the price to ship the junk cragars...clean them up and re-chrome them it would cost more then to just but new ones from Cragar

66 GTO clone, 467 cubic inches of Turbocharged Multiport Fuel Injected fury twisting a TH400 into 3.90's wrapped in a 12 bolt posi.

My T56 Install
My Turbo Build
My Vortech Supercharger Build
Hyd Throw out bearing
Misc Build Pics

May the Karma Gods meet you half way....