Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 04-24-2006, 11:50 AM

Default Heavy Duty Suspension 67' GTO.

Putting new gas shocks on my 67' GTO convertible. For rear shocks, they ask if your GTO has the factory HD suspension. HD shocks are 1.9 inches longer (extended) than the regular GTO suspension shocks due to different rear spring heights. I don't know if my car has regular or HD suspension and don't want to order the wrong length shock that might not fit. I thought maybe the convertible might have HD suspension as standard because of its weight. Does anyone know what suspension this car would have or which shock (regular or HD) would fit? Thanks.

Old 04-24-2006, 11:56 AM
Senior Chief

why not simply take off one of the old shocks and compare it to the new ones to get the correct length? Then there will not be any question.

Old 04-24-2006, 01:34 PM

Default Kookykrispy, It Ain't All That Simple.

Here's the rub. Gonna have to torch the old shocks off cause they been there a long, long time. Then once I get them off I can order the same size shock as the ones that came off. BUT, I can't drive the car without shocks until the new ones are ordered and shipped to me. Spring is here in Tn. and it's perfect cruising weather. Just hate to not be able to drive the car until new shocks arrive. Was hoping someone knew the HD suspension question so that I could order new shocks and then remove the old ones and install the new ones at the same time. That way I don't have 4 or 5 days "down time". Guess I'm just addicted to cruising!

Old 04-24-2006, 01:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

order both sets and return the ones you don't need.

david

Old 04-24-2006, 02:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiacphil
Putting new gas shocks on my 67' GTO convertible. For rear shocks, they ask if your GTO has the factory HD suspension. HD shocks are 1.9 inches longer (extended) than the regular GTO suspension shocks due to different rear spring heights. I don't know if my car has regular or HD suspension and don't want to order the wrong length shock that might not fit. I thought maybe the convertible might have HD suspension as standard because of its weight. Does anyone know what suspension this car would have or which shock (regular or HD) would fit? Thanks.

The ride height is not any different. The convertible springs are longer because the car is heavier, but the ride height is not any different.

Old 04-24-2006, 02:09 PM
Suspended

does not matter, since full extend is never reached when car is on the ground.