Old 05-05-2006, 03:48 PM

Default The Old Shop Towel In Front Of The Grill Test

My rebuilt 400 still wants to run hot at idle. Several people have given me good info. on various threads I have posted here about this problem. A couple of the posts said that an old trick to see if you're getting sufficient air flow at idle is to hold a shop towel in front of the grill and see if it blows in towards the radiator when ideling. Tried it today and at 750 RPM (auto tranny) idle the towel did NOT move until I boosted the RPM up to about 1,200 and then the towel sucked in towards the radiator. The fan blade I have is an old (at least 20 yrs.), don't know what brand, 7-blade, 18 inch, aluminum flex fan. 18 in. is the biggest I can run with my shroud. Is there a 18 in. flex fan out there that will provide more air flow at low RPM? I thought some of you might have tried various fans and found some that are better than others for increasing air flow at low RPM's. I called Flex-a-lite Tech. Support and they recommended their FLX-1818. It's a 7-blade, stainless steel, staggered type fan. They said the blades are in a staggered, uneven, pattern so it will run quieter. Has anyone run this particular fan blade?

Old 05-05-2006, 10:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

7 blade fan...and a thermostatic fan clutch.

Old 05-06-2006, 01:35 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Seems hard to believe that air flow is that little at idle (unless it's a clutch fan and it's de-clutched). Is the fan actually in the shroud, or somewhat behind it? Does blowing air backwards through the radiator dislodge any bugs/dirt?

Old 05-06-2006, 02:20 AM

What was this test designed for? A Model A Ford, or an 82 Trans Am?

Think about what this test is looking for. You have an 18" steel fan spinning @1000 rpm, if it was sealed in a cylinder, it should suck your head in! Since your radiator is not round, there are inefficiences in directing the air.

How tight is your shrouding? Get your radiator sealed up tight, and run close clearance between the fan and shroud. This will make a big difference in low rpm airflow.

I always build a tight shroud on my cars, I learned this from my circle burner friend. Seal up any holes aroung the radiator. On the race car we use metallic silver duct tape to seal the shroud to the radiator. On my 55 I made gaskets out of a tire tube.

Old 05-06-2006, 03:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

fan blades dont wear out like fan clutches do...

'74 formula 400, w/shaker (3 scoops) black deluxe interior, '70 406 balanced assembly, .30 trw slugs, moly rings, 4x heads 2.11/1.77 stainless valves, ra 4 cam, e-rpm intake, holley 750 vac. sec, msd hei, hooker headers w/ dual 3'' flowmaster 50 series ending at axle, t400 w/ GM6 convertor, transgo shift kit, b&m starshifter, 3.08 gears, centerlines, 265/50-15 bfg's rear and 235/60-15 front...yes im over cammed but it is still very fun...
Old 05-06-2006, 07:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Phil, there are different shape blades on flex fans. Tapered (wide at the base and narrower toward the outside edge) and big paddle shaped ones. Describe yours.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:33 AM

Default More Specifics On My Fan.

Here are some answers to the questions that have been asked:
1. The radiator is the Factory 4-core Harrison that has just been "recored" with a new core.
2. Shroud is new. Bought from Ames Performance and relatively well "sealed". Front of fan blades are "inside" the shroud. Blades are about an inch away from the radiator core itself.
3. Blades are aluminum, sort of rectangular shaped. Measure 6 inch in length and 5 inch in width. 3 corners are squared off and one front corner is rounded and that corner is curved somewhat and "bent" in towards the water pump side. There are 7-blades equally shaped and sized.
4. Fan is turning great at 750 RPM idle just not creating any wind velocity through the radiator until RPM is increased to about 1,200 RPM. Then it sucks the towel towards the radiator the way it should.
5. When idling, the temp. guage (using a 185 degree Shaw themostat) will slowly crawl up to the 230 range. When I bump the RPM's up it will start cooling down. Just can't let it idle unattended because I don't know how hot it would eventually go to. Afraid to let it go over the 230 range.
I definitely want to try a new fan blade just want to buy the one that is most likely to increase my air flow at low RPM. Thought one of you might have first hand experience with trying different blades and could recommend a particular brand and model. Thanx.

Old 05-06-2006, 11:18 AM

What kind of water pump are you using? I had the same problem with my motor. Turned out the impeller of the pump was too far away from the seperator plate inside and getting little flow. So, I went to using a Milodon pump, a new plate from NPD, and a 160 degree thermostat. I found a link you could check out.
http://www.wallaceracing.com/water-pump-mods.php
Here are some pics with the seperator plate on the water pump, hopefully this helps.

Old 05-06-2006, 11:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Phil

The flex fan is an aftermarket piece. Many aftermarket parts simply don't work nearly as well as the factory stuff that was designed by very talented engineers. When factory parts have problems or don't work correctly they are redesigned. The best fan for your application is the OEM fan and thermal clutch for an AC car. Try your local pick a parts and throw that flex fan in the trash.

Tim C

Old 05-06-2006, 11:35 AM

I had problems with aftermarket fans too and for my car the only thing that actually worked was a Nylon 18" flex fan made by Flex-a-lite(400 series part #418) I had to space it to where it is closest to the radiator as possible. To me the aluminum fans are garbage.

Old 05-06-2006, 01:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have the same fan as pontiacphil. Are people saying this is an aftermarket fan? What does the OEM one look like? I need the best fan available as I'm in a desert and heading into summer!

Sam

Sam Agnew

Where you come from is gone; where you thought you were going to, weren't never there; and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.
Ministry - Jesus Built My Hotrod
Old 05-06-2006, 02:59 PM

Default Pontiacowner, It's a Flow Kooler.

The water pump is new and was "tweaked" the way everyone on this site recommends. I paid a premium price ($110) for this Flow Kooler pump as they advertise it as "solves idle and low-rpm cooling problems by doubling the water flow rate at these speeds". Supposed to give an extra 30% coolant flow below 3,500 rpm. That's what the ad in Summit said but this may just be advertising hype. I still think air flow, or lack of air flow, at idle RPM's is my primary problem. Some people here swear by flex fans while others say the thermal controlled clutch fan is the only way to go. Both make convincing arguments so I don't know which route to take. I just hate to buy the wrong one and not solve my problem. I was hoping someone else had encountered this and had a magical answer as to which fan blade to run. It's easier, and cheaper, to learn from someone who has been there, done that, and here's how I solved it. As I asked in my original post, does anyone's fan suck a shop towel in towards the radiator at idle rpm (700 to 800 rpm)? If so, whay type fan blade are you running?

Old 05-06-2006, 03:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, I can't put a shop towel directly in front of my radiator without pulling parts, but I dangled one in front of my grills, which are a good foot ahead of my radiator, and the towel is easily drawn into the grills at idle. And that's also with pulling air through the a/c condenser.
It's the stock setup with factory shroud, 7 blade fan and thermal clutch. Fan is about half in and half out of the shroud.
So the factory setup is best as far as I'm concerned. Personally, I'd rather use the factory parts over all others.
Factory air conditioned cars have the better fans with more blades.

Old 05-06-2006, 05:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I can hold a shop towel in front of teh grille, which is about 10" in front of the rad on my 68 FB, and it gets sucked straight back into the grille. How far are you holding it in front of the rad? I hear 4 core rads can be quite obstructive to air flow.

My fan is about 19" dia, 5-bladed, from a Chevy 350 van, with a new fan clutch.
You don't mention if you have a clutch? If you do, they can go bad and really slow down the fan speed at idle.

Old 05-07-2006, 12:57 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Phil- I can't quite visualize your fan/shroud situation. You said the blades are about 1" from the radiator core. But shrouds are supposed to be a funnel-shape, with the fan sitting in the small end of the funnel. What am I not seeing? What is the vehicle?

Old 05-07-2006, 02:21 AM
Senior Chief

Phil,

I sent you a PM.

Some people say I have A.D.D., but they don't know what they're talk ... hey look, a chicken!
Old 05-07-2006, 08:25 AM

Default hisgto & Pontiac Jack.

hisgto, Didn't find a PM in my msg. box this morning so pls. try resending.

Pontiac Jack, My shroud is basically square shaped with the top & bottom having a raised, circular dome arae to allow for fan blade clearance. My vehicle is a 1967 GTO.

Old 05-07-2006, 03:31 PM
Senior Chief

Bummer! I'm not the fastest typist so all that work down the drain.

Here is a summary
  • Hayden heavy duty fan clutch Part no 2797 @ Kragen, Schucks, Checker.
  • Dodge Dakota ('87-'90) 18" 7 blade fan Part no 220618 @ Kragen, Schucks, Checker.
  • '66 non-air fan shroud from OPGI.
My stock gauge was off reading hot by 15*-20*. I found out by comparing it to an after market Auto-Meter gauge. I verified the Auto-Meter gauge against a $15 candy thermometer (Wal-Mart) that is graduated in .2* increments. The Auto-Meter gauge was within 5* through the entire temp range. Hooked it up in the car and it is reading 15* cooler than the rally gauge

Also, I live in So Cal and do not need antifreeze. I run straight RO/DI water with a bottle of Redline's Water Wetter.

All this along with a properly spaced divider plate keeps my 455 running between 160* and 190* during normal driving conditions.

Some people say I have A.D.D., but they don't know what they're talk ... hey look, a chicken!
Old 05-07-2006, 03:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by form406
fan blades dont wear out like fan clutches do...
Yeah, there's NEVER been an issue with work-hardened, fatigued flex fans exploding at higher RPM. Right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubCity60
What was this test designed for? A Model A Ford, or an 82 Trans Am?
I'm embarrassed that I didn't think of this. Most newer cars get the majority of the radiator air from under the bumper, not through the "grille". That's why a car can have overheating problems if the spoiler/air dam under the radiatior support is broken or missing. So, yeah, it's no wonder that the rag doesn't suck in when you put it in front of the grille. Put it directly in front of the A/C condenser, and see what happens...

Old 05-07-2006, 04:24 PM

Default Hisgto & Schurkey.

Hisgto, Thanks for all the info. and part #'s for the fan clutch & fan blade. Sorry you had to retype the whole thing. I'm the world's slowest typist myself so I can appreciate what you're saying.

Schurkey, My car isn't A/C so I can't put the towel in front of the condenser. As far as air coming through the grill or up through the bottom spoiler area my test results were: rag in front of grill at 750 RPM no movement whatsoever. Bump RPM up into the 1,200 to 1,300 range and the towel sucks in towards the radiator immediately. I guess my decision to make is: 1. Buy the fan clutch and fan blade that Hisgto gave info. about, or: 2. Buy the Flex-A-Lite FLX-1818 for $44.95. This flex fan vs. themal clutch fan is sort of Ford vs. Chevy. Both camps feel strongly about which to run and both make sense. I'll pick one, hope for the best, and if it doesn't solve my problem I'll try the other. Flex fan route is the cheapest so I may try that one first. Wish me luck!

Thanks to all that posted info. on this thread as it has been informative and helpful.