Old 08-09-2006, 01:17 PM

Question 8-Bolt Timing Cover Availability?

My 67' 400 motor has the 8-bolt timing cover. When motor was rebuilt this past Winter I did notice some corrosion/pitting on the inside of this cover. Could this make a motor run HOT at idle? If yes, can you purchase a repro. timing cover or do you have to locate one in a junkyard? If they are available can you pls. provide info. on where to buy one? Thanx.

Old 08-09-2006, 01:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Those things are expensive. I know Ames has them, and I think PY does as well. To find a nice used original that has been reconditioned is around $250-$300. Try Frankspontiacparts.com if you want to go this route.

Old 08-09-2006, 01:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I see them on Ebay all the time for cheap.

www.musclecarsgalore.com
www.nikivee.com
[www.reverbnation.com/nikivee

1967 Pontiac GTO
1967 Pontiac Grand Prix
1972 Pontiac Lemans Sport Convertible
2015 Dodge Challenger ScatPack 392, 6 speed
2017 Ford Explorer AWD
Old 08-09-2006, 03:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Pitting would not cause overheating. Chances are it's something else. If it's only getting hot at idle, a few possibilities come to mind--a failing fan clutch, calcification in your radiator, or too wide of a clearance between the pump veins and the divider plate. What is your ignition timing set up? If you're running vacuum advance off of ported vacuum then your engine will run hotter at idle compared to running it off of manifold vacuum. An original '67 setup would run off manifold vacuum, which kicks up the timing to about 26* advance at idle. Ported would keep the advance at 6* BTDC (if that's where you set the initial timing).

Go to the heating and cooling section of PY and read the first thread. It has GREAT information on making your water pump as efficient as it can be.
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=411256

Old 08-09-2006, 04:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have 2 or 3 of them I will have for sale soon, and a few 11 bolt 69-70 covers