Old 03-11-2012, 06:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default !968 Rear Main Seal Leak

Hi guys -- some thoughts please. I'm looking at a 1968 GTO that has some issues but is in fair condition overall.

It has a rear main seal leak.

1) What is the best approach to changing the seal?

2) Does the engine have to come out or just the 4-speed transmission?

3) Will the clutch be affected by the leaking oil if I don't fix it (depending on the severity)?

Thank you in advance for your help and guidance.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:23 PM
Senior Chief

I just replaced mine on my 67 4 spd a couple years ago, three years after rebuilding the motor and using the rope style seal first. Reluctantly but with the advice from everyone on this sight I pulled the motor to replace it and I am glad I did, I don't know how I would have done it in the car. I used the two piece viton seal from BOP engineering and it hasn't leaked since. I don't know if it can get to the clutch but just the mess alone was enough to convince me to change it, I can't stand leaks. Good luck, I hope this helps.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:45 PM

I use the viton seal in all my cars. Only way to go. The proper way would be to remove the engine and a good oppertunity to check out the bottom end of the engine, The oil from the leak can get on the back side of the flywheel but should not get on the clutch. Still makes a mess. Looks like a nice car in the picture. Good Luck

Old 03-12-2012, 08:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you can get the pan off without pulling the engine, remove the rear main cap and use a Sneaky Pete tool to remove and install a new rear main rope seal.

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Rope seals are not the same as they were - they used to contain asbestos and those were far superior to the current rope seals. I have heard that the new Viton seal is superior. Yes, a rear main could affect the clutch if it leaks enough and gets thrown around in the bell housing for long enough. Remove engine, fix, reinstall.

Land of Lakes Muscle Car Classic
Facebook Event
Facebook Wall (Kurt Smith,Minneapolis)
Old 03-12-2012, 01:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Viton seal needs a perfect surface to do its job. If not, I might leak. If the engine is still in the car, you will a very hard time looking at the surface....

Its true that the newer main seals are not like the old stuff, but I used them in 2-3 rebuilds without issue so far...

Old 03-12-2012, 07:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thank you all for your input. Looks like an engine pull is in my future.