Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 01-08-2024, 10:49 AM

Are you running any kind of suspension travel limiters up front?

I will say that my rallying buddies are happy to be under .75 on their rally cars. As previously mentioned checking the bump where the suspension travel is normally at is appropriate.

With your car's suspension at full droop the wheels are making little contact with the road an the amount of bump steer is equal on both wheels so the affect on the vehicle is minimal. When both wheels are at full travel the bump steer is actually felt as toe or toe out by the vehicle. That is assuming that both sides have the same (Or nearly the same) amount of steering angle change at full travel.

Bump steer becomes apparent when one wheel moves more than the other and that changes the relationship between the two wheels and as a result the vehicle moves in an unexpected manner.

Does your car launch and stay level or is it pulling one side noticeably higher?
What kind of shocks are you running?
Do both shocks compress at the same rate under load?

Have you used a gopro style camera to record the steering action? It may reveal the weak link. When you're carrying the front wheels you are outside the designed envelope of the suspension. When the wheels return to earth the camber is way out, the tie rods are at extreme angles and they are being pushed in a manner that they weren't designed to be. Your shimmy may be from flexing at the drag link or the steering box mounts.

Have you checked to see if any of the tie rod joints are maxed out when the suspension is at full droop? Jam a ball joint into full travel enough times and it will start to fail or stick. A very good reason to check that the droop stops are stopping the suspension travel before the ball joints are.

On a dedicated drag car set your suspension caster and toe in at the ride height the vehicle is at going down the track. In other words if your vehicle's front bump is 4 inches higher for the majority of the trip down the strip then set the toe in and caster for that ride height.

All this is only my opinion and that along with a ten spot will get you a steaming hot cup of Joe most anywhere in town.