Old 07-14-2023, 10:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Need Help - More Fastener Mysteries

70 LeMans, bumper bracket to bumper fasteners

Please tell me dimensions/description or share photos of "correct" fasteners. I could not find the PNs online.

In this diagram, the nuts and bolts labeled "1" and circled in orange are:

#24, Bolts: 9415307 I have these, they are black carriage bolts
#3, Washers: 9419276 What are these? I need ID or photo. Are they just flat washers?
#6, Washers: 103328 I have these, they are split washers
#4, Nuts: 9418897 I have these

Similarly, the fasteners labeled "2" and circled green are a total mystery.

#5, Bolts: 9798799 Are these carriage bolts, hex heads, stainless-capped, black, or ????

The nuts and washers are the same as those on the top side of the bracket so I need to know what the flat washer is.

This is what I have for the upper fasteners, missing a flat or serrated washer?

Thanks

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14-3.1 Frnt Bumper Bolts.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	616062   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230714_185013.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	616068  

Old 07-15-2023, 10:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

[3] are a washer 7/16" ID by 7/8" OD, possibly, a thicker serrated washer.
I'm struggling chasing this one in original dated books as to style of washer.
Last two '70 LeMans I've bought were bought as rollers w partial front clips so my memory isn't helping.

(5) is 6 pt bolt 7/16 x 14 x 1 1/4" this should have a shallow style head to not detract from the bumper appearance. Original finish was cad, they will appear very dull almost a galvanized look after the decades.

Will ck rack of '71 & 72 LeMans bumpers later this morning. I've experienced a bolt very similar if not the same as [5] being substituted by later bodyshop guys for the original small rounded head carriage style bolt that was used in the same spot on 71's.

Old 07-15-2023, 10:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

OPH, thank you! You are a wealth of knowledge on these cars and your willingness to share it is valued.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
[3] are a washer 7/16" ID by 7/8" OD, possibly, a thicker serrated washer.
I'm struggling chasing this one in original dated books as to style of washer.
Last two '70 LeMans I've bought were bought as rollers w partial front clips so my memory isn't helping.
I couldn't find anything on Ames but your comments are consistent with Inline Tube's repros. They show both a "Style 1" and a "Style 2". The "1" has flat washers, the "2" are toothed. Do you think this was a mid-year change, plant-specific, or just random? Not that I need to be accurate on my car but if anyone has a collectible T37 or similar might find it useful.

I was thrown off by a "kit" I ordered from AMK. It had the toothed washers and it was obvious by lack of marks on my brackets that they were never installed on my car.

BTW, OPH, if you want that kit, let me know and I'll mail it to you as I'm sticking with the flat washers.

Quote:
(5) is 6 pt bolt 7/16 x 14 x 1 1/4" this should have a shallow style head to not detract from the bumper appearance. Original finish was cad, they will appear very dull almost a galvanized look after the decades.

Will ck rack of '71 & 72 LeMans bumpers later this morning. I've experienced a bolt very similar if not the same as [5] being substituted by later bodyshop guys for the original small rounded head carriage style bolt that was used in the same spot on 71's.
Great info, thank you! I'll dig through my pile of orphans and see what I can find. The opening in the bumper is oval/round, so a carriage bolt won't fit easily. If I find a "shallow head", I'll use it. If not, maybe I'll grind the square corners off a flat-head carriage bolt and move on.

BTW, what are those flanged nuts in the IT kits? Any idea why they'd include these without bolts? Where do they go?

Mike
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Inline Bumper Bolts 2.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	616072   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inline Bumper Bolts 1.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	616073  

Old 07-15-2023, 01:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OPH - I found the washers! Woo-hoo and thank you again!

Did not find "short head" bolts so will grind the square points off two of the black oxide carriage bolts that came in the AMK kit. I don't have washers for those but not sweating that!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Upper Bumber Bracket Washers.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	616082  

Old 07-15-2023, 03:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Good to see you're getting close Mike!

Old 07-20-2023, 09:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Rounding two corners of the black carriage bolts worked out well and looks better than a hex bolt.

Thank you for the idea, OPH!

I shared in another thread, but the bumper is cleaned up, back together and ready to go back onto the WIPper:

Mike
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20230718_111020.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	616412   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230715_184221.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	616414   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230715_183447.jpg