Old 07-22-2023, 06:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default How to? Bumper Install 70 Tempest/LeMans

Need to learn from your experience.

Not looking forward to this wrestling event but excited to get it done.

Is it a 1-person job for my elder self?

Is it easier to put the brackets on the frame separately or have them attached to the front bumper?

Bumper supported? How?

Car on jack stands or on the tires?

Any hints on alignment?

Thanks

Mike

Old 07-22-2023, 07:07 PM

Default How to? Bumper Install 70 Tempest/LeMans

I am in the middle of painting my 70 Lemans. I have taken it on and off several times. You can take it off by yourself. It is somewhat tricky. I would not recommend putting it on by yourself. The header panels are very fragile at the lip that sits behind the bumper.
First take off the valance panel and remove the license plate bracket. I have learned to leave the large brackets attached to the frame if you want to keep the original alignment. Remove bolts that attach inner structure to the larger brackets. There are two large bolts that are visible through the two holes in the top of the radiator support. Remove those last after you have something in place to rest the bumper on. It would be great to have something that fits just below the height of the bumper bracket. I use a garden wagon and several moving blankets from HF. Once you are ready for final placement remove the two top bolts and tip the front of the bumper up towards the windshield.to clear the two upper brackets from under the header panel. I hope this helps.

Old 07-22-2023, 07:16 PM

Even though your bumper is not aligned presently, it may be easier for you to get the bolts for the large brackets installed in the frame before attaching them to the bumper. Do not tighten them up until you have it where you want it. In my first reply I believed that you were removing and replacing. Just reverse the process I described.

Old 07-22-2023, 07:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the quick help, 62olds!

My bumper has been off for well over 10 years if not more so I don't remember removing it.

I did put a lot of time into repairing the header and definitely don't want to ding it but it's only primed so scratches won't be a disaster. Cracking an edge off it would be disaster, at least for me.

Sounds like I should put the big brackets on the frame first and leave them loose enough to get the bumper bolts in. I think this is what the repair manual said but it conveniently didn't offer any help wrestling the bumper into place! It's not super heavy, but heavy enough and awkward enough that I'm asking how others managed it.

Your warning about installing myself is noted and I'll get some help. I have a wagon and blankets so understand that part of it.

Are you installing with the front end of the car elevated or sitting on tires on the ground. I assume you're crawling under the bumper to reach the bolts that attach the support to the frame. If so, this sounds very awkward and dangerous.... I don't have a hoist that would make this safer...

Mike

Old 07-22-2023, 07:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Your comment about leaving the stabilizer bolts is a little unclear.

The brackets have rubber insulators that slide into sheet metal pockets on the upper rail of the radiator support. It makes me nervous to think the entire bumper could be supported by those brackets but maybe you are saying the weight will still be on the big lower brackets even though the bolts are removed?

Maybe you are suggesting the bolts between the stabilizer and the big brackets can come out but the brackets will still support the weight? If so, this will give me a little more confidence.

And if I'm interpreting correctly, does this mean that to install, you lift the bumper onto the big brackets, then tilt the top into the header and run the stabilizer bolts in to help keep it from falling?

Mike

Old 07-22-2023, 07:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thinking this through... if the bumper can be supported by the lower big brackets until the bolts are in place, then I think I need to have the lower brackets a little snug to hold the bumper high enough to avoid whacking the header lip. Does this make sense?

Mike

Old 07-22-2023, 09:08 PM

Holding the bumper up away from the header lip is why you need assistance. First install the upper stabilizers in the rubber bushings. . Those brackets on the top of bumper have to go in on a 45% angle under the lip of the header first. Then swing the bump down level on to the large lower brackets. Next tighten the upper stabilizer bolts to hold the bumper up close to the header panel. Just loose enough for some adjustments. Tighten the large brackets to the frame enough to keep the bumper from falling down into the lip of the header. Attach the bumper to the large brackets. You will most likely need leave everything loose until you get the bumper centered and adjust your gaps to the fenders. Gap measurements are in the assembly manual.

Last edited by 62olds; 07-22-2023 at 09:13 PM.
Old 07-22-2023, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
Your comment about leaving the stabilizer bolts is a little unclear.

The brackets have rubber insulators that slide into sheet metal pockets on the upper rail of the radiator support. It makes me nervous to think the entire bumper could be supported by those brackets but maybe you are saying the weight will still be on the big lower brackets even though the bolts are removed?

Maybe you are suggesting the bolts between the stabilizer and the big brackets can come out but the brackets will still support the weight? If so, this will give me a little more confidence.

And if I'm interpreting correctly, does this mean that to install, you lift the bumper onto the big brackets, then tilt the top into the header and run the stabilizer bolts in to help keep it from falling?

Mike
Those two upper bolts in the rubber will hold up the entire bumper. You will be surprised. But you can’t hold it by yourself while you tighten them . Please ask more questions,if I am not being clear about the process.

Old 07-22-2023, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the quick help, 62olds!

My bumper has been off for well over 10 years if not more so I don't remember removing it.

I did put a lot of time into repairing the header and definitely don't want to ding it but it's only primed so scratches won't be a disaster. Cracking an edge off it would be disaster, at least for me.

Sounds like I should put the big brackets on the frame first and leave them loose enough to get the bumper bolts in. I think this is what the repair manual said but it conveniently didn't offer any help wrestling the bumper into place! It's not super heavy, but heavy enough and awkward enough that I'm asking how others managed it.

Your warning about installing myself is noted and I'll get some help. I have a wagon and blankets so understand that part of it.

Are you installing with the front end of the car elevated or sitting on tires on the ground. I assume you're crawling under the bumper to reach the bolts that attach the support to the frame. If so, this sounds very awkward and dangerous.... I don't have a hoist that would make this safer...

Mike
I like to have the weight of the car sitting on the tires when I line things up.

Old 07-22-2023, 09:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

62olds, this is really helpful and appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62olds View Post
Holding the bumper up away from the header lip is why you need assistance. First install the upper stabilizers in the rubber bushings...
I have this done.. the two stabilizer brackets are hanging off the radiator support with the insulators installed. The slots in these stabilizer brackets are easy to access through the holes in the radiator support. Because they are hanging off the rubber grommets, they could get knocked sideways easily or even fall out but they are sitting where they belong.

Quote:
...Those brackets on the top of bumper have to go in on a 45% angle under the lip of the header first. Then swing the bumper down level on to the large lower brackets.
I'm lost on this step.. please expand. Are you saying to lift the bumper, but hold the bottom of it away from the big lower brackets? And then align the stabilizer brackets with the stabilizer mounts that are on the bumper support? And then put the bolts through the stabilizer bracket into the mounts? And all the while holding the bumper up and away from the bottom brackets?

So at this point the entire bumper could be released and let hang just on those two stabilizer brackets?

Quote:
Next tighten the upper stabilizer bolts to hold the bumper up close to the header panel. Just loose enough for some adjustments. Tighten the large brackets to the frame enough to keep the bumper from falling down into the lip of the header. Attach the bumper to the large brackets
So at what point do you push the bumper onto the lower brackets? It sounds like you are saying to attach the stabilizer brackets up top first, then swing the bumper onto the big brackets, then put the bolts into the big brackets. Please tell me if I'm close or way off...

Quote:
You will most likely need leave everything loose until you get the bumper centered and adjust your gaps to the fenders. Gap measurements are in the assembly manual.
This makes sense as to adjusting. I didn't see gaps in the repair manual so I better go look again. You are saying the assembly manual, which I think is the collection of engineering drawings. I'll look for alignment dimensions there too.

Quote:
Those two upper bolts in the rubber will hold up the entire bumper. You will be surprised. But you can’t hold it by yourself while you tighten them . Please ask more questions,if I am not being clear about the process.
Yes, I will be surprised! But OK...

And understand I need to hold it while someone installs the bolts.

And I'm asking plenty! Like you say, I don't want to damage the header, bumper, or human.

And thanks for commenting on leaving the car on tires on the floor. This makes sense to me for alignment, just wasn't sure about assembly as inserting the bolts through the bumper support into the big brackets sounds pretty awkward.. will have to be on my back, right? With the bumper hanging mostly off the stabilizer brackets?

Mike

Old 07-23-2023, 10:10 AM

[QUOTE=Shiny;6441746]62olds, this is really helpful and appreciated

I have this done.. the two stabilizer brackets are hanging off the radiator support with the insulators installed. The slots in these stabilizer brackets are easy to access through the holes in the radiator support. Because they are hanging off the rubber grommets, they could get knocked sideways easily or even fall out but they are sitting where they belong.

I'm lost on this step.. please expand. Are you saying to lift the bumper, but hold the bottom of it away from the big lower brackets? And then align the stabilizer brackets with the stabilizer mounts that are on the bumper support? And then put the bolts through the stabilizer bracket into the mounts? And all the while holding the bumper up and away from the bottom brackets?

So at this point the entire bumper could be released and let hang just on those two stabilizer brackets?

So at what point do you push the bumper onto the lower brackets? It sounds like you are saying to attach the stabilizer brackets up top first, then swing the bumper onto the big brackets, then put the bolts into the big brackets. Please tell me if I'm close or way off...

This makes sense as to adjusting. I didn't see gaps in the repair manual so I better go look again. You are saying the assembly manual, which I think is the collection of engineering drawings. I'll look for alignment dimensions there too.

Yes, I will be surprised! But OK...

And understand I need to hold it while someone installs the bolts.

And I'm asking plenty! Like you say, I don't want to damage the header, bumper, or human.

And thanks for commenting on leaving the car on tires on the floor. This makes sense to me for alignment, just wasn't sure about assembly as inserting the bolts through the bumper support into the big brackets sounds pretty awkward.. will have to be on my back, right? With the bumper hanging mostly off the stabilizer brackets?

Mike[/. You seem to have it now.
Just be careful not move the rubber bushings around too much. I believe that there is a stop on one side of metal hanger. After the top bolts are in and you slide it onto the lower brackets it should just sit there until you get all of your bolts in the reinforcing bar. Unfortunately, you will laying on the floor. I usually put down the cheap standing pads from HF. Saves my hips.

Old 07-23-2023, 02:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Great, thanks again for reading through all my thoughts and questions.

I recruited a friend to help me and will give it a go!

Old 07-23-2023, 10:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

62olds - It's on and I thank you again for the guidance.

Took us over an hour and definitely needed 2 people.

We had the lower brackets loose, set the bumper on them, and installed the bolts between bumper support and bumper brackets loosely. At that point, the bumper was supported and the top of the bumper was tilted forward, away from the beak. The stabilizer mounts/towers were both lower than and well in front of the header.

We then tilted and lifted the bumper and lower brackets. One of us held it up while the other installed the bolts through the stabilizer brackets up top. We didn't have any trouble clearing the header. As you warned, it was a little tricky to keep from crashing the bumper into the fiberglass header.

Finally, we lifted and pushed and used the front bolts between bracket and frame to clamp the bumper in place. That's where it sits now.

Adjusting will be tedious but for my immediate goal, the bumper is on and it's good enough.

I'm happy about it and glad we didn't damage the header nor the grills!

Mike

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230723_181222.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	616573   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230723_181236.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	616574  

Old 07-24-2023, 07:06 PM

I am happy to help and glad that you have it on without incident. Good luck with your project. 62 Olds

The Following User Says Thank You to 62olds For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2023, 10:34 AM
Senior Chief

THis couldn't have come at a better time!! Over the next week or so I'll be doing the same thing on mine. Its been off for a looooong time and all these great tips are really appreciated.
Matt

Old 07-27-2023, 11:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hunter98TA - This forum is a life-saver for me. Where else are you going to find 3 people currently installing the front bumper on a 70 LeMans?

Add to this thread as you work on yours. You are going to find your own way and it will help others.

Quote:
.... you have something in place to rest the bumper on. It would be great to have something that fits just below the height of the bumper bracket. I use a garden wagon and several moving blankets from HF.....
I forgot to mention we used a 5-gallon paint bucket (the heavy ones) to support the bumper as we adjusted the alignment.

The front bracket bolts on the frame are easy to reach so we snugged those bolts to hold the bracket and bumper up during the first "coarse" alignment. Then, we went back and forth from side to side with one person pushing and tilting while the other operated the wrench on that lower bracket clamp.

The rear bolts from bracket to frame are NOT easy to reach, especially on the driver side because of the steering gear. I used a magnetic retriever to hold the nut inside the frame rail while getting it started on the bolt. There is a round access hole in the frame, but I could not reach my fingers in there. It's also challenging getting the right length extension and socket to reach that nut. Shining a light and looking into the frame opening helps you see what you're doing on those rear bolts.

I'm now putting the inner fenders back in. With the fenders on, it's a pain, but I've got one installed so the second will be easier.

Good luck!

Mike

Old 07-27-2023, 11:29 AM
Senior Chief

it has been during this 25 year project. LOL I'll be on more since the car is coming home today!!!
Lot's of good questions being answered here that I would have probably asked.

I'll do a full writeup on this project once it gets done. Hopefully in the next month. Summer is slipping away and I am long over due for drop top cruising.

The Following User Says Thank You to Hunter98TA For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2023, 09:34 PM

Click image for larger version

Name:	20221112_104935.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	616824
Just a quick word of advice for alignment of your body panels. Start the back of your doors to the quarter panels. This gap should be about a quarter of an inch. Make sure you have all the weight inside of the doors with the weatherstripping. Get your door glass aligned as best as you can. Then gap your fenders to your doors. Between an 1/8 to 1/4 inch gap is fine. Square up the fenders using an x measurement from the top fender bolt to the opposite fender bolt into the radiator support. Either of the two is ok as long as you use the same bolt on both sides. Everything is still a little loose so you can ad shims as needed. Install the hood, making sure the back of your hood clears the windshield wipers. You may need to move the fenders forward so the back of your hood lines up with the molding on your fenders. Then gap your hood to the fenders. Add your header panel, tighten it up when you are satisfied. Then the bumper and the valance panel. Easy Peasy!

The Following User Says Thank You to 62olds For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2023, 09:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

62olds - Your front clip looks perfect. You are doing a really nice job on the body and paint. That must be rewarding.

Thanks for the notes on alignment. That will be useful if I ever get to paint my car. I've had the car almost 20 yrs and have moved it twice - barely running and in pieces. We decided to move again so my goal is to move it in one piece and capable of driving on and off the hauler. Fingers crossed.

Old 07-28-2023, 04:40 PM

Quote:
62olds - Your front clip looks perfect. You are doing a really nice job on the body and paint. That must be rewarding.

Thanks for the notes on alignment. That will be useful if I ever get to paint my car. I've had the car almost 20 yrs and have moved it twice - barely running and in pieces. We decided to move again so my goal is to move it in one piece and capable of driving on and off the hauler. Fingers crossed.
Always keep it running unless you are doing a motor or motor swap. Thank you for compliments. I only have a one car garage which has no room to work in. I have to clean up and put the car back every day when I get to work on it. I have to always keep it running. Stay motivated, one task at a time. Good luck.