THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-10-2023, 11:44 PM

To those of you who say AI is "scary", here's a question to ponder: can natural (or non-artificial) intelligence be scary as well? How many times has history seen a very bright individual bring about massive destruction?

Just food for thought.

Aside from generating silly images, a well-trained artificial neural network is able to solve chemistry, math, and physics problems that have stumped humans for generations. The possibilities for advancements in science, medicine, and other fields is staggering.

I think it's hasty to label the technology as evil when there has never been a shortage of people who are evil.

Last edited by w72; 12-11-2023 at 12:04 AM. Reason: sp.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to w72 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2023, 12:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

New technology isn't developed without profit driving it, which means it will definitely help either companies or individuals enough that they'll willingly pay for it.

New tech like metal tools, automobiles, and light bulbs were easier to understand but were probably scary to many. Cell phones weren't so scary to most until they stopped being mobile phones and became mobile computers with GPS that enabled tracking every interaction we have with and/or through them.

Unfortunately, as many here note, we already have too much going on with our devices and software that we don't see nor are even aware of.

I don't think tech companies are inherently sinister and they have delivered massive benefits for all. They are, however, run by people and greed does not always support the best ethics. Trust is not easy.

I don't think it's wrong to regulate AI but IMO, that's not going to happen gracefully, given the power these companies have. Something about foxes guarding hen-houses..

I just hope the benefits of AI outweigh the turds that will come with it. I'm personally excited and hopeful about it but understand the reservations.

The Following User Says Thank You to Shiny For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2023, 10:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

IMO;
The worst thing to happen to our culture in the last 100 yrs.
was the development of the internet and computers.

Old 12-11-2023, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w72 View Post
To those of you who say AI is "scary", here's a question to ponder: can natural (or non-artificial) intelligence be scary as well? How many times has history seen a very bright individual bring about massive destruction?

Just food for thought.

Aside from generating silly images, a well-trained artificial neural network is able to solve chemistry, math, and physics problems that have stumped humans for generations. The possibilities for advancements in science, medicine, and other fields is staggering.

I think it's hasty to label the technology as evil when there has never been a shortage of people who are evil.
You have made the greatest argument for the fear of AI. AI is the road to Super Intelligent AI, which is the stuff the Terminator movies and other SciFi is based upon. So setting aside that rabbit hole for now. Lets look at it this way.

Without a doubt the biggest threat AI brings to the world is the undeniable fact that "a well-trained artificial neural network is able to solve chemistry, math, and physics problems that have stumped humans for generations. The possibilities for advancements in science, medicine, and other fields is staggering." Unfortunately those advancements WILL include weapons technology that presently the world is unable to obtain.

So lets examine the scenario where country A is on the edge of a big AI break-through that would put them in position to develop that superior weapons technology that the rest of the world will not be capable of developing without the AI.

Will countries B thru Z stand by and let country A move ahead and develop this technology?

Or will one of the B thru Z countries decide that a first strike to destroy that AI capability would be in their best interests?

Will they decide that a large commando style raid of the AI developer in an attempt to steal the technology would be their best option followed by a first strike if that fails.

So the real fear comes from the (as you stated) EVIL humans and their desire to control the world around them at any cost.

Look around the world today and ask yourself if any there are any national leaders that would use an advanced AI for personal or national gain over all other considerations.

Do you trust all of them?

Can your children trust all of them?

The Following User Says Thank You to VCho455 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2023, 10:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

BTW;
Computers cant think for themselves.
The all run on programs written by humans.
Garbage in = Garbage out.
AI is bs.

Old 12-11-2023, 01:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, the power of even this "immature" image creator tool is impressive. Easy to see how useful the tech can be and easy to see how it could be abused. We watched an NFL game yesterday and I think almost every ad was a digital creation. Tools like these have probably been used for years on stuff like ads, movies, and video games.

"A group of 6 accurately detailed white 1969 Pontiac Trans Ams in a circle around the cartoon character Wyle Coyote on an airport runway"

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_fa8dc3f2-f1fe-4b86-ab39-338391a5a737.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	624816  

Last edited by Shiny; 12-11-2023 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12-11-2023, 02:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Anyone that's ever been a coder, even on a basic level understands how over hyped the whole "AI" thing is. Maybe 1% of the population has any real insight into what AI actually is. It's old technology, it's been around for decades. The only "Intelligence" involved is the intelligence of the programmers implementing the alogrhymes that produce the results.

AI doesn't "Think" even the tiniest bit, it sorts through massive amounts of data and finds probable solutions to queries based on well crafted algorhymes.

If you have ten scientists working on a problem in ten separate rooms and not communicating their findings progress is slow. If those ten scientist still don't communicate with each other, but dump their results into a database ... "AI" is the program that sorts through those results to find high probability solutions based on a consensus of data.

What makes the "AI" seem super intelligent is that it is the only person in the room that has access to all the results, from all the scientist in the same place at the same time.

It doesn't create anything new, doesn't "think" anything ... what it does VERY well is .... find things that humans miss because of the shear volume of data involved.

What is portrayed in Science Fiction movies is NOT what AI is, what is portrayed in the movies is total fiction (currently). Maybe in 200 years real "artificial INTELLIGENCE" will exist, right now it's very solidly "ARTIFICIAL intelligence" and there is a HUGE difference between the two.

Maybe one out of 1000 politicians and media figures have any real understanding of computer programming .... but of course they are ones making the decisions and hyping the technology.

Old 12-11-2023, 04:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

5, 4, 3, 2, 1...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2023, 04:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well it was fun while it lasted.

I find the MS image generator entertaining. It's a decent first attempt.

Although ... it won't create anything with "boobs" ... don't ask me how I know.

Old 12-11-2023, 04:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"countdown to extinction"

How intelligent is it if it can't spell "extinction"?

In partial defense, it did offer this one too:

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_a31aad86-c43c-41f1-ab2f-d119f06f269b.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	624829   Click image for larger version

Name:	_e23afa95-e1e9-4213-ac96-07cf011cb919.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	624830  

Last edited by Shiny; 12-11-2023 at 04:52 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Shiny For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2023, 04:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You'd think people would remember that politics are not allowed in the Lobby. Please keep it that way.

Old 12-11-2023, 04:59 PM

Default My bad

My bad.....Wasn't paying attention. Carry on.

The Following User Says Thank You to wheels For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2023, 05:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
How intelligent is it if it can't spell "extinction"?

Did you create that pic? If so possibly it was 'your' spelling and it just made it as it was told? (like make an 'extintion clock'?)

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 12-11-2023, 05:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Weird thing about those Wile E Coyote Trans Ams, they have three headlights on one side and two on the other.

The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2023, 05:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
Did you create that pic? If so possibly it was 'your' spelling and it just made it as it was told? (like make an 'extintion clock'?)

No, MSFT Image Creator was responsible for the bad spelling. My only input was what I quoted. The rest was totally at the whim of the software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
Weird thing about those Wile E Coyote Trans Ams, they have three headlights on one side and two on the other.
Yes, it's interesting to see how it distorts the vehicles...it seems to know the context and gets the "era" right, but the details are left to the imagination. We can call it "artistic license", but the intent isn't accuracy, just blazing fast artwork created from a simple written description..

Old 12-11-2023, 05:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
Glitch in the Matrix ... we are all doomed

Old 12-11-2023, 05:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is the input quote "create the most accurate image of a 1968 Pontiac GTO that you can"

Here is the result ...

I don't think we having anything to fear from this trainwreck any time soon
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AI-68-GTO.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	624834  

Old 12-11-2023, 05:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As we circled the drain, I input "A vintage pontiac race car with large decals showing "AI" being towed by a team of horses into the sunset".

The tool spit out some interesting images, although it kind of missed the point about what was being towed...

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_157c11c0-c58c-446e-b460-fbadcfc0fb82.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	624831   Click image for larger version

Name:	_c257fe0b-eb50-4745-bc89-0d5e54f3e5ca.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	624832   Click image for larger version

Name:	_8168f6a8-25cc-47eb-88a6-cbe7e000f1c6.jpg
Views:	237