Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-01-2024, 07:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Alternator Humiliation

Sad but true...

I converted to an internally-regulated alternator a LONG time ago and used an American Autowire conversion plug at the external regulator connector to maintain the GEN light function.

I never had the engine running until last fall and never saw the GEN light come on, so I assumed all was well at the time.

Fast forward to making progress on getting car drivable and discovered the battery was not getting charged.

I first confirmed battery voltage was reaching the BAT terminal, so the connector at the starter was good. This made me happy because I didn't have to crawl under the car to look for that mistake.

I then verified the alternator ground was solid.

Pulled the adapter plug off the regulator connector and verified 12V was reaching the brown wire when the ignition switch was "ON".

When I went to put the adapter plug back on, I happened to look inside and found this:

DOH!

When I last put that adapter plug on, the two center terminals had been pushed sideways and failed to mate with the terminals in the connector. The housing is rubber, which didn't help, but still on me...

Happy ending - I plugged the adapter in as it was designed and all is well!

Easiest fix ever, but perhaps one of the most humiliating...

And to make it worse, I never noticed the GEN light wasn't coming on when the switch was turned to ON position.

Double DOH!

.................................................. ........................

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240301_160058.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	629660   Click image for larger version

Name:	20240301_155540.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	629661  

The Following User Says Thank You to Shiny For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2024, 08:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don’t feel bad, at least you where not stuck somewhere and had to pay a large flatbed bill to get back home.

I once thought I had a dead electric fuel pump because I could read 12 volts at its power connector which was right there at the pump.

I pull the pump and as I walk passed the front of the car I decided to give it one last chance and jumped it across the battery and it ran just fine.

I walk back to the rear of the car, confirm the 12 volts , plug it in and I get zip!

I repeat this all again and check then check the pumps power connector and only 3 strands of wire out of many more where in the crimp that I made .

Lesson learned, voltmeters only need .0002 amps to produce a reading.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
The Following User Says Thank You to steve25 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2024, 09:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

There are worse things than Humiliation...

Frank
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_51625fd3-0366-4af3-b6b0-527ae9ae82ff.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	629666  

Old 03-02-2024, 12:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You still have genius status compared to the stuff I see every week in the repair business, myself included, from time to time. Easy fix, no harm done. Can't get better than that.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2024, 01:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Oh, trust me, I've made at least two bigger mistakes in my life.

And that fuel pump story is classic deception. Volts and amps and ohms all matter.

But the worst rat under any hood is an intermittent contact. I happily escaped that one this round and I solved it with my own AI...or at least LI.

Old 03-02-2024, 03:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
You still have genius status compared to the stuff I see every week in the repair business, myself included, from time to time. Easy fix, no harm done. Can't get better than that.
I work a parts counter. The endless stupid questions...I feel your pain.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge