Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 10-29-2020, 07:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Steering gear

I know most of the options like the Cherokee box etc but if money is no object what is the BEST steering box for a 64 Tempest that will be driven everyday with spirited driving and some auto cross possible? People with real world experience especially please chime in. I know Turn Ones reputation but I have had two cars with them and did not see 1200 worth of steering so not interested in them. Don’t mean to sound smarmy I have just researched this till my heads gonna explode. I would prefer a direct bolt in with flared fittings etc but concessions willing to be made for function.

Last edited by 64speed; 10-29-2020 at 08:00 PM.
Old 10-30-2020, 01:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If the Turn One box is the Delphi 600 series box, that is the best you will do short of a good rack setup. I have one on my T/A; does very well at the track and street.

Old 10-30-2020, 03:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebird View Post
If the Turn One box is the Delphi 600 series box, that is the best you will do short of a good rack setup. I have one on my T/A; does very well at the track and street.
I will do some research. It’s a good box but I don’t see 1200 dollars worth of improvement. Granted one was in a 58 and one was in a 59 chevy with frame adapters.

Old 10-30-2020, 04:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The Turn One is a Saginaw 600 and its 799-1200 depending on ratio etc. I think you got your wires crossed between Delphi and Saginaw cause the Delphi is most commonly adapted to big chevys. Look on eBay for examples.

Old 10-30-2020, 11:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

I have a Lares box in my bird currently and I like it. It's nicely weighted and quick without being twitchy.

That said the box is only one component. Especially if you are looking at auto-x and spirited driving, a big part of a lot of people's gripes, and certainly mine is the pump that drives the steering gear. The older style class I pumps just suck for anything other than tooling around town at low rpms. As soon as you start increasing the rpms and inputs, the fluid heats up, foams and you lose a lot of input and feel, making even a quality box feel like crap.

What we really need is bracket to adapt the class II pumps to the factory pulley system at a decent price. From my research you have to go to a full blown CVF, Marche etc. setup to get a bracket for a class II pump.

Old 10-30-2020, 12:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have CVF full setup. Believe it or not Napa has an upgraded box. Anyone with experience?

Old 10-30-2020, 12:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Anyone have experience with the Borgeson 800130?

Old 10-30-2020, 02:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

After too much research, I went with the Borgeson 800130.

Isn't installed in my 70 GTO yet, but looks like a quality unit and not sure you can do much better for the $$.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 10-30-2020, 02:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
Believe it or not Napa has an upgraded box.
NAPA doesn't build anything, so you'd need to learn who their supplier is.

Looking at their PS 391073N unit - the price is more than double what Jason and I paid for our Lares boxes.

I too am happy with my Lares box.

You're making this more difficult than it needs to be. You seem to have buying paralysis due to overanalysis.

Old 10-30-2020, 02:55 PM

I have the Borgeson box. I like it. I’ve never had one of the more expensive boxes to compare it to. Now I need to get a smaller, thicker steering wheel so it feels a little more modern.

Old 10-30-2020, 03:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
The Turn One is a Saginaw 600 and its 799-1200 depending on ratio etc. I think you got your wires crossed between Delphi and Saginaw cause the Delphi is most commonly adapted to big chevys. Look on eBay for examples.
No, I am not the one with TBI. I run a Delphi unit in the TA - it is still listed in the Ames catalog though not available. The Turn One unit in my Lemans is identical to it. It mounts in A-F-X bodies.

The Following User Says Thank You to Scarebird For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2020, 06:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought the Borgeson after several private messages and calling their techs on the phone and getting candid advice. Thanks guys for the input. Borgeson 800130 is the part number

Old 10-30-2020, 09:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

NSP 88277060 That is the Napa part number by the way

Old 10-31-2020, 12:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebird View Post
No, I am not the one with TBI. I run a Delphi unit in the TA - it is still listed in the Ames catalog though not available. The Turn One unit in my Lemans is identical to it. It mounts in A-F-X bodies.
It is a Saginaw STYLE box but it is manufactured by Delphi. I have called every vendor and manufacturer out there. No need to be rude.

Old 10-31-2020, 12:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
NAPA doesn't build anything, so you'd need to learn who their supplier is.

Looking at their PS 391073N unit - the price is more than double what Jason and I paid for our Lares boxes.

I too am happy with my Lares box.

You're making this more difficult than it needs to be. You seem to have buying paralysis due to overanalysis.
No paralysis here, just come look at the 20k of parts in my garage. I just dont want to spend 500 bucks when I could have gotten better for 450

Old 10-31-2020, 01:33 PM
Boost Engineer

The Champ, let it go.

Some people are Penny Wise and Pound Foolish.
A comment that my Grandfather (Lived to be 92 years old, rip) used to say occasionally.

I bought a steering box from Tom Lee, many years ago. (It was not a inexpensive steering box
but I have never had an issue with it.

It took a few months to get it but I only bought it once. And I did not waste people's time doing it.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2020, 06:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tom I just wanted real world experience. Testimonials if you will. There’s a lot of hype on every vendors page on why their box is the best. It’s not a waste of anyone’s time if they choose not to participate. And I was trying to be conservative with my money, hence the not spending 1200 on a known hype box.

Old 10-31-2020, 07:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Keep in mind sometimes that improved steering ratio Is the last thing you may want to think about.

This as your sliding backward off the road, all you could think was that I couldn’t turn the wheel quickly enough to correct the slide.
Don't over look the "road fell" subject when evaluating a steering box. When a company says "This all new power steering box has a quick 12.7:1 ratio with firm modern steering feel".

What is modern steering feel ? That statement says nothing unless it is further evaluated !

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE
Old 10-31-2020, 07:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C. View Post
Keep in mind sometimes that improved steering ratio Is the last thing you may want to think about.

This as your sliding backward off the road, all you could think was that I couldn’t turn the wheel quickly enough to correct the slide.
Don't over look the "road fell" subject when evaluating a steering box. When a company says "This all new power steering box has a quick 12.7:1 ratio with firm modern steering feel".

What is modern steering feel ? That statement says nothing unless it is further evaluated !

That is exactly what I was trying to accomplish with this post. I wanted drivers experience. I understand turning radius and turns lock to lock. What does it matter if you only gotta spin the wheel twice if you got the feel of a 70s Cadillac or even worse a Mac truck

Old 10-31-2020, 07:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Discussed many times....

" It's the torsion bar, not the gear ratio that provides "modern" steering feel."

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...hlight=valving

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE