THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-04-2023, 03:31 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
Jon

I took basic training at Ft Leonard Wood, MO back in 1972. It's still open.

Not saying you have a need to go to a military base, but you're only 62 miles away.
LOST IN THE WOODS, lol.

That explains a lot.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 02-04-2023, 04:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
Jon

I took basic training at Ft Leonard Wood, MO back in 1972. It's still open.

Not saying you have a need to go to a military base, but you're only 62 miles away.
So did I, in December 1968/January 1969....................brrrrrrrrr!

Jon

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 02-04-2023, 04:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It always cracks me up that one can expedite the government by paying them more money. Funny how that happens. They suck at their job, have no accountability, don't trust their own documents and take forever to process, but it you slip them more money to do the same job, they can make it happen. Sounds like the Mafia to me.

Took my 82 year old mom to the RMV the other day to downgrade her license (expired last Nov) to a basic Mass ID. Filled out the forms prior to going in, brought required paperwork to prove residency and because shes an immigrant, "lawful presence" paperwork. (like they really care about that!) Not only did we walk out of there after two hours WITHOUT an ID, they wouldn't give back her expired license because it was expired. If her license never expired.....if we did this last Nov prior to her birthday, they would have given her an ID with a signature and $25.

They wont take an expired passport, and they wont take expired licenses....strange considering we had to go through all types of hoops to get those. Its as if those documents never existed.

My mom has been a U.S. citizen since 1968 and driving since 1975. We have pristine naturalization paperwork with her picture on it, yet they couldn't verify it. They couldn't get in touch with anyone at the verifying agency to authenticate it either. Their answer? Come back to the RMV if and when the letter comes verifying that document. So another day off, another time gathering up my poor mom and dragging her to the Registry to prove whats been true since 1968. Ludicrous.

The State pretends to want to get this right. They make you go through all these channels, bring in all these verifying official documents, and then turn you away at the window due to their incompetence. Yet illegal immigrants in MA can get drivers licenses.

Like everything else these days, they make it so hard on those that follow the rules, you might as well just break'em to make your life easier.

Clown world indeed.

Who needs nice and pretty, when you can have mean and nasty?
KRE Aluminum headed 463CID 73 LeMans. Used to run 10.6x @ 124.55. 3700lbs
So much for 2020...shootin for 9s in 2021...and in 2022 apparently.....looks like 2023 as well.
>>My 73 Build thread
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 73LeMans For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2023, 06:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

73 Lemans is spot on! someone Show me a gov't run organization that runs smoothly and efficiently. No accountability anywhere in a gov't run taxpayer funded entity.

Old 02-04-2023, 08:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I got my new CDL class A drivers license in January 2022, mine is real ID, and was rather painless to get. I just looked at the required documents they listed, and brought them to the BMV deputy registrars office, which isn't run by the state, it's a local business that operates similar to a franchise, and is independently owned. Maybe that's why it was painless, because the owner wants repeat business, there isn't a state government lock on it, where you have to deal with state employees. We do have state run offices also, but I choose not to deal with those offices, if I can get around it.

Because I was 69 last time I renewed, I cannot get an 8 year license, I have to have eye tests every 4 years now. I guess they frown on half blind people having driver licenses, but that's a good thing......

Unfortunately it's true, with no competition, a monopoly will usually have poor service, because they're the only game in town. They know they can have crappy employees that don't give a damn, and have in most cases a union to keep them employed, no matter how many complaints they have lodged against them.

When I lived in PA, in most cases you were compelled to deal with state employees, and in most cases, it was not a good thing.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 02-04-2023, 10:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I got my Real ID last summer and it was painless. I researched the requirements beforehand and brought more stuff than required. Like Sirrotica, I went to a BMV franchise where they're motivated to give good service.

I fly, go to military bases and go to military contractors that require it. As mentioned by others, I like the idea of tightening the net so illegals can't get them.

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 02-04-2023, 10:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73LeMans View Post
It always cracks me up that one can expedite the government by paying them more money. Funny how that happens. They suck at their job, have no accountability, don't trust their own documents and take forever to process, but it you slip them more money to do the same job, they can make it happen. Sounds like the Mafia to me.

Took my 82 year old mom to the RMV the other day to downgrade her license (expired last Nov) to a basic Mass ID. Filled out the forms prior to going in, brought required paperwork to prove residency and because shes an immigrant, "lawful presence" paperwork. (like they really care about that!) Not only did we walk out of there after two hours WITHOUT an ID, they wouldn't give back her expired license because it was expired. If her license never expired.....if we did this last Nov prior to her birthday, they would have given her an ID with a signature and $25.

They wont take an expired passport, and they wont take expired licenses....strange considering we had to go through all types of hoops to get those. Its as if those documents never existed.

My mom has been a U.S. citizen since 1968 and driving since 1975. We have pristine naturalization paperwork with her picture on it, yet they couldn't verify it. They couldn't get in touch with anyone at the verifying agency to authenticate it either. Their answer? Come back to the RMV if and when the letter comes verifying that document. So another day off, another time gathering up my poor mom and dragging her to the Registry to prove whats been true since 1968. Ludicrous.

The State pretends to want to get this right. They make you go through all these channels, bring in all these verifying official documents, and then turn you away at the window due to their incompetence. Yet illegal immigrants in MA can get drivers licenses.

Like everything else these days, they make it so hard on those that follow the rules, you might as well just break'em to make your life easier.

Clown world indeed.

MA is definitely in the front running for clown world leader. I often joke I should just tear up my birth certificate and any US documentation with my name on it, and claim I'm an "undocumented person". It certainly seems like the easier route.

Wanna laugh? I asked if my DoD ID was proof enough of who I am, and got a blank expression in return. You know, the type of ID that requires me to go through FBI background checks, fingerprinting, a mountain of paperwork etc. etc.

Absolutely crazy.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
The Following User Says Thank You to 72projectbird For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2023, 11:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72projectbird View Post

Wanna laugh? I asked if my DoD ID was proof enough of who I am, and got a blank expression in return. You know, the type of ID that requires me to go through FBI background checks, fingerprinting, a mountain of paperwork etc. etc.
I have a similar story. Last year, my wife and I went to vote. Ohio requires photo ID. She forgot to bring her driver's license but had her concealed carry permit and presented it. It's a government-issued ID with address, picture, background check and fingerprinting....much better than a driver's license. The poll worker wasn't sure she could accept it and it took a few minutes of whispering with the supervisor before she reluctantly agreed that it was OK.

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 02-05-2023, 01:03 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have an appointment with the DMV in March to do the very same thing. Hopefully it will be painless to get a Real ID.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 02-05-2023, 01:22 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

When I went into the DMV for an enhanced drivers license they refused my birth certificate paperwork. This had always got me into Canada. before 9/11. I went to the County Admin. building and asked for a birth cert. They gave it to me without showing any ID??? WTF!

Old 02-05-2023, 04:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drag Star Le Mans View Post
When I went into the DMV for an enhanced drivers license they refused my birth certificate paperwork. This had always got me into Canada. before 9/11. I went to the County Admin. building and asked for a birth cert. They gave it to me without showing any ID??? WTF!

That's a bad sign ... the worker said to themselves ... who the heck would want to be this guy ... give up that certificate

Old 02-05-2023, 10:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I was unaware there was such a thing as a real id until this thread popped up. I googled Texas real id and learned that if you have a gold star on your Texas driver's license then it is a real id. I looked and sure nuff my DL has a gold star on it. I renewed it last year online and they mailed it to me. They used the picture from the one that was expiring. My Texas right to carry license, which expires this year, does not have a gold star. I just renewed it online and will be interested to see if the new one when it arrives has the gold star.

Old 02-05-2023, 10:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I tried this stupid Real ID thing twice. They did NOT accept my ORIGINAL Birth cert. Original Social security card. ( that was laminated, which is a NO NO) and my old DL. I also have a Lvl 9
NRC/DOD security clearance that was also worthless at the DMV.
They said that the mandate was put off till 2025 and that probably , by then, the credentials I have would work.
I saw folks that got a additional ( newer ) Birth certificate and the lady said he couldnt have 2, so they must be fake because the new one wasn't a certified "copy"
Its a wonder some dont go "DMV" vs "postal" on these places.
Im Not a fan of real id, but when you get high security clearances they already know it all...at least the rest of the Govt does.

Old 02-06-2023, 06:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just renewed my passport online. Very painless. Entered the info from my old passport, uploaded a new picture ... did the payment, done. Some back and forth via email for automated secure sign-in.

Jeez, $190 including expedited processing ... why do you have to pay anything? My income taxes already pays for the employees, the building, the land the building sits on, the computers, the programmers, the machines, the paper ... what's the extra money for

Old 02-06-2023, 09:38 AM
Senior Chief

Best answer ever, to being asked by a government agency: "Do you have proof of birth?"

"Well, I'm f******g standing here, aren't I?!?!?!"

I'm in OH, researched the needed docs beforehand, went in prepared, no issues whatsoever.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan