Old 04-03-2006, 01:24 PM

Send a message via MSN to EBJudge
Default '86 Sunbird problem, injector?

I bought an '86 Sunbird GT convert. recently and I have a problem that I think may be the injector.

I was driving it and all of a sudden it started redlining when I pushed in the clutch. (it's a 5 speed) I can't find anything in the service manual that addresses this problem. The gas pedal is not sticking.

Now I don't seem to be getting any gas at all.

This was the first tank of gas I had put in the car since buying it, so it's possible that the new gas stirred up whatever was in the bottom of the tank. But, would an injector clog open? This was within about 2-3 miles of getting filled up, when I got caught behind a school bus dropping off kids from school.

I can hear the relay for the fuel pump, so I know it's not that, but of course, the fuel line or filter may be plugged up and the fuel pump may have gone bad, but none of that explains the engine going to redline.

This is the normally aspirated 1.8L, not the Turbo 1.8L.

Can anyone help me with this?

'69 Expresso Brown/Gold RAIII Judge HT
'86 Carmine & Black/Red 1.8L NA Sunbird GT Convert.
'03 Montana EXT

Pontiac 1926-2010?