Old 06-21-2004, 08:34 AM

I can't find anyone who has heard of this.

After my '99 Grand Prix GT has been sitting in the sun for most of the day (when I am at work) and I leave to head home, my engine shuts off on the highway. I have to put it in neutral and restart while coasting, and have had to pull over a couple times. It usually takes between 5-10 tries to restart. This doesn't happen on the way to work, and I can't remember it doing it on a cool or rainy day. It takes me less than 2 min to get on the highway from work, and only happens within the first 5 min of being on the highway, not anytime after that. None of the lights such as "check engine" come on either. It takes me 5 min to get on the highway when I leave my house, and only 2 min when I leave work, so I wasn't sure if it is a warm-up or time issue. The fuel pump pressure checked out ok. I don't want to do the trial and error fixing method as it looks to be and expensive way of solving this. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Old 06-21-2004, 08:34 AM

I can't find anyone who has heard of this.

After my '99 Grand Prix GT has been sitting in the sun for most of the day (when I am at work) and I leave to head home, my engine shuts off on the highway. I have to put it in neutral and restart while coasting, and have had to pull over a couple times. It usually takes between 5-10 tries to restart. This doesn't happen on the way to work, and I can't remember it doing it on a cool or rainy day. It takes me less than 2 min to get on the highway from work, and only happens within the first 5 min of being on the highway, not anytime after that. None of the lights such as "check engine" come on either. It takes me 5 min to get on the highway when I leave my house, and only 2 min when I leave work, so I wasn't sure if it is a warm-up or time issue. The fuel pump pressure checked out ok. I don't want to do the trial and error fixing method as it looks to be and expensive way of solving this. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Old 06-21-2004, 09:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Take the vacuum hose off the pressure regulator-on the front of the engine.Check to see if there's any fuel in the vacuum line.The regulators have been known to fail.

6.27@107
9.97@131
Old 07-20-2004, 07:13 AM

That seemed to be ok, and now my car shuts off in town, and if I am driving for like 5 or 10 minutes and then shut the car off, it sometimes doesn't restart for 10 minutes. I am definitley losing my patience......

Old 07-25-2004, 02:31 PM
Senior Chief

Possible crank sensor failure
any codes?
Possibly the IC module also
Crank sensor is the most likely culprit

Old 07-26-2004, 08:46 AM

I dealt with this same intermittant problem last year except it would happen after about 20-25 miles of driving. It even did it in the exact location twice! Then after a week or two,it just stopped doing it.

Old 08-06-2004, 05:25 AM

It was the crank sensor....thankfully only a $150 fix.

Thanks for the advice.