Old 06-15-2014, 11:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotStutz View Post
I tested the new unit prior to putting it in, and it read 92 ohms with the float all the way up. So, unless I'm missing something that shouldn't be the problem, right?

I checked the wiring and gauge as well, getting full travel in the guage needle when I pulled the (+) wire off, and then grounded it.
What Charles is saying is that pulling the wire completely off is simulating infinite resistance...not 90 ohms. Gauge could still have a problem. 90 ohms is minuscule compared to infinity. Let's say just hypothetically that your gauge is screwed up and it reads full at 200ohms. It could read half full at 90.
The resistor or the sending unit itself would be the way to verify everything is calibrated within the zero to ninety parameter.
Like I said, I always check for proper operation before sealing it in. Just plug it in, turn on the key and move it up and down while checking the gauge for movement.
I hate doing that kind of stuff twice.

Old 06-15-2014, 02:26 PM

Ok, I see what you're saying now. I wish I would've thought of hooking the new unit up and testing it before sealing it in! I guess you only need to make that mistake once though. Well, it'll probably be annoying enough eventually that I'll take it out again and check it, but for now I think I'll just enjoy the car for a little while!

Thanks everyone for your input. I've learned a lot from you guys!

1966 LeMans Convertible
Red Ext/Parchment Int/White Top
Old 06-15-2014, 03:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, at least that'll tend to make you keep it topped off..rather than the other way around... One that looks TOO full...lol

Old 06-15-2014, 06:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I tested the new unit prior to putting it in, and it read 92 ohms with the float all the way up. So, unless I'm missing something that shouldn't be the problem, right?

I checked the wiring and gauge as well, getting full travel in the guage needle when I pulled the (+) wire off, and then grounded it.

I guess I can't be sure that the float isn't obstructed at all in the tank, because I just crawled under the car and installled the unit without removing the tank.

Once I hooked everything up, the gauge read empty, and I'm sure it was at least very close to empty. I put almost 21 gal in the tank, and the gauge started registering. It settled on 3/4 full.
But, does the gauge move to full with 95 ohms of resistance? Or stop at 3/4 tank?

Old 06-15-2014, 06:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry, I see where Greg already covered my last post............

Didn't see there was another page to the thread.

Charles

Old 06-24-2014, 10:04 PM

So...

I did some driving this last weekend and here's what I found:

3/4 tank, when completely full

at just less than 1/4 indication, i was only able to put in 9 gal.

So does the float just need to be bent down so that it reads more accurately?

1966 LeMans Convertible
Red Ext/Parchment Int/White Top

Last edited by PilotStutz; 06-24-2014 at 10:05 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-24-2014, 10:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If it's hitting the top of the tank limiting movement, yes.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Ok, I see what you're saying now. I wish I would've thought of hooking the new unit up and testing it before sealing it in! I guess you only need to make that mistake once though. Well, it'll probably be annoying enough eventually that I'll take it out again and check it, but for now I think I'll just enjoy the car for a little while!

Thanks everyone for your input. I've learned a lot from you guys!
If you didn't prove the gauge yet, you're still adding band aids. And, not learning anything.